Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 am 
Members

As we all know the Guide Gun is fun to "make over". Alot of high quality aftermarket parts out there, as well as being easy to tune to ones specific needs. Nothing really new here, i know its all been done, just wanted to share my little project. Already looking forward to doing another.
I did some of the work on this, like thinning out/refinishing the wood, deburring the lever and all internals etc. All of the machining, fitting of parts and parkerization was done by my friend and gunsmith John Gallagher. John specializes in Ruger single action and bolt rifle work, so I was greatfull he agreed to help me and do such a great job on this rifle. Also very thankfull that Thad Rybka agreed to make my cartridge holder, came out perfect.

Parts used-
Brockman Gen. III sight set
WW ejector
WW follower
WW trigger
Longhunter 1 piece firing pin
Thad Rybka cartridge holder/sling (horsehide)
Marlin mag tube from 22" rifle cut down/spring etc.

Work-
Wood thinned out/refinished, butt pad contoured for no snag (i hate when the edges/corners of a rubber butt pad grab).
Internals deburred where needed, as well as edges of lever, contoured hammer edges.
All aftermarket pats try fitted before parkerizing
Sent the butt stock to Rybka for hand fitting of the cartridge holder (fits better than a glove).
Extended mag tube assembly fit/regulated
Brockman sights were try fit, on final installation after park used a bit of loc tite just in case.
Black Parkerize

The only issue we encountered was with the 1 piece firing pin. It installed easy enough, but about 1/2 way back the lever/fp slot relationship was causing the bolt to bind. As soon as pressure was relieved from the lever the bolt would travel freely again. After several times of removing the firing pin and slightly modifying the angle of the "notch" I think the problem is solved.

Im going to shoot a few hundred rounds through the rifle before actually carrying it to hunt, to be sure the firing pin issue is no more. The part ( 1 piece firing pin) is well made, and the folks at Longhunter are very helpfull, just want to share it may take quite a bit of fitting.

Will be posting some shooting results later this week. Here are a few photos, we all know what "before" looks like, so here is after-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:11 pm 

Very nice package. I have a SS Guide Gun that's still trying to decide what it wants to be when it grows up - definitely some good ideas here. The TR leather looks great. What's the magazine capacity of the extended tube?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:44 pm 

very very nice. that ammo sleeve is great. i agree with you on the butt pad. yours looks like a fine english rifle pad!-cam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:56 pm 
Members

Cool rifle, congrats!