Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SxS question...PICS UP
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:15 am 
Members

Alrighty,
I figured that out of all the forums I frequent, I'd probably get the best answer here. So, I'm "inheriting" a 12 ga. L.C. Smith shotgun. Now, I haven't seen it yet (Dad is bringing it down to me on 12/30) so I don't know anything about the grade or condition. My father said it looks to be in "good shape", but I'm not sure how much our definitions compare. Anyway, if it is in good shape but needs some work, do you have any recommendations for "affordable" work? (yeah, I know talking about nice SxS and "affordable" don't really go together). At what point would you decide to have it refinished etc. as opposed to just leaving it as is? I most likely won't be keeping it ( I don't hunt, have any real interest in old shotguns, nor is it being handed down from a blood relative...so I'm not really "attached" to it), but I do know that L.C Smiths have some value to them. So, what course(s) of action would you all recommend?

Thanks
Rich

Oh, and this is not a "slick" WTS ad, so please don't interperet as such.

Last edited by Trumpet on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: SxS question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:02 pm 

If you are not going to keep it then anything you decide to do to it... as refinishing, etc. will simply screw it up for someone who appreciates LC Smiths. If it needs finish, stock work, etc. that might be exactly why someone wants to buy it b/c they enjoy doing it or having it done to their satisfaction or they like the absolutely original gun with some character.

I know some LC Smith experts in Montana I can put you in touch with if you decide to get more info about the gun or want to sell it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:01 am 

My recommendation is you get yourself a couple of solid pointers (GSPs, English Setters or a pocket pointer=Brittany) send them to Ronnie Smith down in OK and when they get back they can show you how to hunt and how to use the LC Smith :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:21 am 
Members

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:46 pm 

I'm not an LC Smith guy, I'm a Win Mod 21 guy, but I do know that on SXS guns most people/collectors prefer double triggers so you have that going for you, then again maybe all LC Smiths have double triggers :lol: