Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

OK
Just bought a nice Dakota Standard Length rifle action.
I do not want to start getting into reloading.

What do you guys suggest as the best all around caliber for anything in N America?

I have my .308 (Brockman Scout) and I have a great short 45/70 (YoBo Big Lewie) for in the brush

So, what do you think I should go with on this action.

I was sort of thinking 30-06???? Or???? I want this to be my big boy.... Of course I know its not the proper action for a Monster African Rifle but I still wanna at least have something that can handle most of North America.

Im not worried about finding ammo at the corner hardware store as I will have plenty stocked up
but as I said I have no desire to get into reloading.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:36 pm 

30-06' is a damn hard round to beat any way you cut it.

Plenty of high quality factory offerings avaliable, find one the gun likes and buy a bunch.

That is assuming it's a 0.473 bolt face and not 0.532.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:51 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Yeah its the right size to run 30-06 so Long action bolt face .470 +/-

He had a 30-06 cartridge he put in there right in front of me and it fit like a glove.

This is a guy is a MAJOR custom rifle junkie. He is a bench shooter. He wanted me to run some wildcat with it or a 270.

Not that I am lucky enough to have an African trip coming up but Id like to have something I know Id be able to take along and something I could use for anything in North America.

So what do you think is gonna be the most bang for this project without being absurd exotic. "220 Swift, 6mm Rem, 240 Weatherby Mag, 257 Roberts, 25-06 Rem, 257 Weatherby , 6.5x55 Swedish, 270 Win, 7x57 Mauser, 7x64 Brenneke, 280 Rem, 30/06 Springfield, 8mm Mauser, 338/06 A Square,9.3 X 62 and the 35 Whelen." Are there others worthy of consideration I am missing?

As I said, 270 is not an option to me. I want at least 30/06. I have been kicking back and forth the 35 Whelen and 9.3X63. Here is the US I imagine Id find a lot more of the Whelen easily but what about elsewhere.. Can both be used legally in the majority of Africa?

Again I hunt North America. I hope someday to hunt Africa as well. Of course I know this would not handle all African game but I could easily take something like this, my 45/70 and rent a serious Big Bore there.

Lastly not that this would stop be from either caliber but would the 35 whelen or 9.3 be a stupid rifle to take deer hunting (its ok I have my .308, .270 and 45/70 for that as well as a couple shotguns)

Oh yes!! wouldnt it be foolish to open the action on a Dakota to .54 (or bigger?? if I did that the smallest I would consider would be .338 but I may try going REAL big! Hey, as I said with the others I have Id rather this have too much power than not enough (but yet if I do wanna take it deer hunting Id like to have some meat left to eat HAHA). Then again a 375 H&H would be NICE and they can be used for deer easily with proper loads.

Again, ammo... As long as I can order it online I dont care about it being at the local shop. I pack ammo in a couple cases when I travel so I am always ready. When I finally pick my ammo for the gun I buy a LOT so getting it isnt an issue.

Last edited by J Yagoda on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:26 pm 

Well J, then truthfully speaking, you already have all the tools to cover North American big game in both the 308 and 45/70.

The 9.3x62 and 35 Whelen are somewhat popular, although, if you don't plan to reload the point is moot.

Look thru Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Federal and see how many options you have with the 30-06'.

You can go light or heavy and have a broad spectrum to choose from.

Not to mention if you get stuck out in BFE, the likelyhood of the local gunshop having 30-06' on hand is considerable greater than the less popular cartridges.

Personally, I'd opt for 165gr Ballistic Tips on light skinned game, and 180gr Partitions on everything else, just short of the biggest of bears.

YMMV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:34 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

9.3X62 it is.

I am going to meet with Mark Penrod in a couple weeks to see his work and possibly leave my action there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:30 pm 

9.3x62 is a great choice. Enjoy.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:13 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

I am smiling so hard right now you can't imagine!!

Just got off the phone with the Master himself Ted Yost and he is gonna build this bad boy for me!! (Ted is ALWAYS a pleasure to talk to on the phone! Never rushed and always willing to give you as much info as you want beyond that he is just a darn nice and interesting guy!)

Ted is a big fan of .35 whelen but said 9.3X62 or .64 will be great to build as well.

So now to keep kicking it around in my head, I really am leaning towards the 9.3X64 as if I go to Africa
I can use it legally to hunt the big 5 (yes I would still likely use something with more ooomph for that but
I could use this)

This is something I could own forever and use for most anything I would ever hunt

Were gonna do a synthetic stock

Hmmm now I have to start looking for some nice glass!!!
Also a nice travel case fitted just for it!

Now just gotta convince myself its not too powerful for deer hahaha but hey I have used my 45/70 for deer....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:40 pm 

Actually, the 9.3x62 is allowed for dangerous game. It was put on the list as an exception when the African countries started mandating minimum .375 H&H.

I much prefer the x62. It fits a standard length action with no mods. In a pinch you can make cases for it out of 30/06 brass. Less recoil and blast. Terminal ballistics are so close that the buff won't know the difference.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:48 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Just have to open the bolt face a bit to handle the 9.3X64 :)

I know the 62 is allowed in Africa but as of now I am leaning towards the 64 and
even debating if I want to run a scout scope on it.

Heck, the round is not dead... Russian snipers have started to use it again over the past
few years.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:55 am 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Steve makes a good point regarding the brass. The 9.3 X 64 will need breechface and extractor mods, as well as slight mods to the rails for width and release point for the fatter cartridge. The .507 case diameter may also tighten things up in the magazine box - that 4th round might be problematic in standard form. We might have to rework the box a bit, or maybe just the follower.

It's all part of the fun :wink:

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Well when it gets to you I will let you make that call Ted.

Whichever you decide will be best for the action is what we will do.

As crazy as it sounds I am kinda debating a Scout scope on this.
Still VERY unsure though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:50 am 
J Yagoda wrote:
As crazy as it sounds I am kinda debating a Scout scope on this.
Still VERY unsure though.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the scout scope is the magnification level. That said, in the field, it doesn't matter. AND it's fast. As I think back to the deer I shot with Scoutzilla last year, the elapsed time was very short, but I remember the shot well. Swung the rifle up, got a good view thru the scope and pulled the trigger. End result, one very dead deer and some yummy backstraps.

--md

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:26 pm 

I'm a big fan of the 9.3X62, and wouldn't even consider the X64. Not that the X64 isn't good, it's just not really 'better' in any significant way to me, especially when considering all the drawbacks.

My second choice on that action would be the 338X06. I love the Whelan, but the bullet selection on the 338X06 is fantastic, and all the cartridges mentioned so far are going to be better suited to handloading anyways. The 338Federal took stole some of the 338X06 thunder, but I still like it a bunch.

Personally, I'd not do a scout scope. I use open sights really well, but have my guns set up to handle 1.5-6X scope in quick detachables. It's a bit of a misnomer for me to call them quick detachables, because that assumes the standard position for the scope is on the rifle, but for me, it's more like 'quick attachables', I'd normally hunt with it off. (and, yes, my scope/mount combo returns to near zero very well, so much so that me blaming a missed shot on it would just be a lie to soothe my ego).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:59 pm 
Members

I've hunted successfully a couple of times with the .338-06 and 9.3x62 as well as the .375, etc. The 9.3 is what the .338-06 is and more. Both are poor choices for long range shooting (in Namibia next month I plan to use 9.3 in the bush and .375 in the Kalahari with 250s) so you might as well go for the big bullet. After speaking with some x64 owners, availability of brass in this country can be very spotty. You're actually better off with 9.3x66 if you want hot ballistics in 9.3mm, because it is loaded in the US, and frankly all of your .338-05, .35 Whelen and 9.3 ammunition will almost certainly be purchased online anyway. There isn't one country where you can hunt big game with a 9.3x64 but not a 62.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished product. I had intended to have Ted do a pair for me on Dakota's but my plan to acquire cheap Dakota actions was thwarted by some regulatory changes. Next time I try, it will be with Satterlee or GMA actions, but that is a ways off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:50 pm 
Members

Is your rifle done?

I shot 11 head of game with the 9.3 in Africa and 1 in Alaska. It's a hammer. I recommend the 286gr Oryx.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:58 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

No
I never got the action to Ted and can't find it right now!
I got married, went out of town, house was broken into and
just a nightmare! Firearms were all secured luckily in my friends
hunting lodge as we were starting work on the house and I didn't want anything
but SHTF carry pieces around... I did lose 2 Glocks which have not been recovered yet.

Anyway I have to dig up the action and get it to Ted already!

Just bought an 18 in LWRC REPR and a SCAR H (I LOVE .308!)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:18 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

OK

So I kinda lost my mind recently...

Heading up North and gonna get this action soon but have NO clue
what I want to do with it (if not sell it)

See....
I went a a buying SPREE!!

I bought:

Blaser R8 Professional in .308

Blaser R8 Pro Safari (tan) with a .338 Win Mag & .416 Rem Mag barrels.

I really want to do the .308 up as a Scout type rifle...
Just not sure if thats practical.

Also bought a LWRC 18 in REPR and FN Scar 17H...

BTW if you couldn't tell I like the .308!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:10 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Jeremy, if you read American Sniper by Chris Kyle, you will simply have to have a .300 Winchester Magnum. So if you don't want to want one, don't read the book!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:30 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

You gonna build it for me Ned????

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:18 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

One word for ya-- Cabela's..... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Cabela's...
What for, I already have a base with the Dakota....
You should know I am not happy with something off
the shelf, that would just be far too simple!!

I actually may sell the Dakota action in the near future
Just need to get some more trigger time with the R8 to
decide if I still love the pull back bolt when I cut down the
LOP of the stock to fit me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

UPDATE!

Sold the Blasers!
They do not work well for someone with a shorter LOP and cutting
down the stock doesn't work as the bolt pulls back to far so you have to
remove your face and then that negates the benefit of the straight pull for hunting.

Found my Standard Dakota action (yup lost it in the house for almost 2 years)

It is now in the hands of our own Ted Yost and it will become a 9.3X62 SCOUT!!!