Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Bonnie & Clyde Whippet
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm 
Offline
Members

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Michigun
Bonnie & Clyde Whippet Shotgun (repro).
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

_________________
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:26 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:30 pm
Posts: 3852
Location: MI
bocephus, are you ownin' this gem?

One IL police department I'm at quite a bit in the summer has two of these among their collection of confiscated weapons. Neither of them nearly so nicely done as yours of course.

Other bits of interest in that display are a Mauser Model 1910 .32 with a pretty elaborate suppressor, and white a slab of lead soldered on to the slide-- to hold it closed--? An M-2 carbine, a bright nickel older 1911 in .38 Super.......

That's an awesome display you have there! Last I knew the car they took their last ride in was at a casino in Las Vegas, is that right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:45 am 
Offline
Members

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Michigun
Ned Christiansen wrote:
bocephus, are you ownin' this gem?

One IL police department I'm at quite a bit in the summer has two of these among their collection of confiscated weapons. Neither of them nearly so nicely done as yours of course.

Other bits of interest in that display are a Mauser Model 1910 .32 with a pretty elaborate suppressor, and white a slab of lead soldered on to the slide-- to hold it closed--? An M-2 carbine, a bright nickel older 1911 in .38 Super.......

That's an awesome display you have there! Last I knew the car they took their last ride in was at a casino in Las Vegas, is that right?

Yes, I own the shotgun, and the display. I found the Browning A-5 in a local gun shop, all beat up. It sat there for about a year. Bought it for next to nothing.
I always wanted a "Whippet" gun, and this was the perfect speciman.
I cut the stock down, and refinished the wood. The barrel was cut to 18.5". Mag-Na-Port cleaned up the crown on the barrel, and installed the brass bead.

As for the Bonnie & Clyde car, I really don't know where that is.

_________________
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:22 pm 
Offline
Members

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Michigun
Hi Ned,
I assume you saw the thred on M4 Carbine regarding this Winchester 1897 D.P.D. shotgun. I didn't post it here, since it didn't fit a "custom" shotgun. I wanted to ask if you do work on Winchester 97's?
I bought both of these shotguns in the same week. I haven't bought a shotgun in several years. When it rains, it pours, go figure.

LINK:> http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62431
Image

_________________
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.


Last edited by bocephus on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:38 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:30 pm
Posts: 3852
Location: MI
I believe I did see that one. I do work on '97's, in theory :P . Just too booked to think about taking on work at this time. That '97 looks perfect though, used but not used up!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:40 am 
Offline
Members

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Michigun
Ned Christiansen wrote:
I believe I did see that one. I do work on '97's, in theory :P . Just too booked to think about taking on work at this time. That '97 looks perfect though, used but not used up!

Thanks, I understand.
The wood forend has several hair line cracks that need repair. Seems pretty fragile.

_________________
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:51 am 
bocephus wrote:
As for the Bonnie & Clyde car, I really don't know where that is.


I believe it's at the Gold Ranch casino up here in Verdi, Nevada. Just a few miles west of Reno. I might have to drive over there and take a few photos if it is still there.

--md


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:28 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:15 pm
Posts: 487
Location: MI
I remember seeing it in the casino just over the California line, driving north from LA to Vegas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:29 pm 
Patrick Sweeney wrote:
I remember seeing it in the casino just over the California line, driving north from LA to Vegas.


Yea, but the company that owns that one, also owns the Gold Ranch up here, and they recently advertised it up here.

I'll drive out this weekend and see if that story is true.

--md


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:42 pm 
Offline
Members

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Michigun
Mark Downing wrote:
Patrick Sweeney wrote:
I remember seeing it in the casino just over the California line, driving north from LA to Vegas.


Yea, but the company that owns that one, also owns the Gold Ranch up here, and they recently advertised it up here.

I'll drive out this weekend and see if that story is true.

--md

That would be awesome if you found the original Bonnie & Clyde Car.
Lots of pictures would be nice!
8)

_________________
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:12 am 
Offline
Board Member
Board Member

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:30 pm
Posts: 3852
Location: MI
Yeah Mark..... knowing what a great camera man you are-- get us a few shots from the same angles as the common pics, so we can match hole patterns and all.

I remember maybe 30 years ago hearing it had sold for $20K, I thought that was low. But then I've always had a sense of what's collectible that was different from the people around me :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:34 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:09 am
Posts: 714
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia !!!
Bocephus...that's another beautiful weapon, as well as a neat display! By the way...it's been a few weeks since I've told you...."I HATE YOU!!" :lol:

_________________
"There is a true glory and a true honor, the glory of duty done, the honor of integrity and principle."--Gen. Robert Edward Lee


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:29 am 
Offline
Members

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:00 am
Posts: 41
Location: Florida
Great photos of history.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:45 pm 
Offline
Members

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:08 pm
Posts: 142
Location: Michigun
Some information on the Bonnie& Clyde car.
http://texashideout.tripod.com/warrencar.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2894

_________________
"Among the men who fought on Iwo Jima, uncommon valor was a common virtue."
- Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, US Navy, 16 March 1945.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:55 am 
Offline
Members

Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:22 am
Posts: 46
Very cool gun. From what I understand, Clyde had a fondness for chopping down his guns to make them quicker to handle in confined spaces. I have seen some history and natgeo shows that show some of his chopped down BARs, that would be on my list of cool things to have.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group