Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:43 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Sometimes I just get a little tired of 1911’s and Hi-Powers - yeah, it can happen. For those times, I always look for the special projects. Occasionally, I’ve been fortunate to stumble across pieces of history, however incomplete, and obsolete they may be. Orphan barrels, take-off stocks, and assorted old small parts fill my “someday” plans and most of my garage.

This is such a project. The barrel is a take-off from an old Holland & Holland Farquharson single shot falling block rifle. Most were built as serious hunting guns, in calibers suitable for the Big Five. This barrel was chambered in the obscure 6.5mm Dutch - a rimmed round based on the 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher-Schoenaur. With Farquharson actions trading at prices I relate to four-wheeled investments, an historically accurate restoration would be out of the question. Besides, I don’t want a 6.5 Dutch single shot any more than the last guy did. With historically accurate off the table, historically plausible becomes the goal.

While still in excellent shape finish-wise, the barrel shank is improperly threaded for a 55 degree Whitworth found on pre WWI Mausers. Fortunately, I only had to give up .450” of barrel to set it back. A small sacrifice.

While single shot and stalking rifles were Holland & Holland’s hallmark creations in the prewar years, the “new” magazine rifles were gaining in popularity. Most rifles were built on the Mauser pattern from the civilian manufactory at Oberndorf. The action that would have been selected for this caliber would have undoubtedly featured double set triggers, and lacked the square bridges found on the heavy rifles. The magazine box would be of the slimmer, shallower standard style, rather than the dropped magnum configuration. It would have looked a lot like this one…

So the plan is… a severely English sporter in a useful caliber - the 7 7/8” / rev twist rate is perfect for the 6.5X 55 Swede. 6.5 M-S and 6.5 X 68 are too “continental” and .264 Win Mag is just plain too much. 6.5 X .284 and the .260’s are too modern. Besides, the sights are regulated for a round ballistically comparable to the 6.5 Dutch, and the Swede comes closest.

I’ll update as I progress….

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:17 pm 
Theo, you are SUCH a tease!

--md

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Most interesting.... I'll be watching.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm 

I saw this one in person the other day. The photos don't even begin to tell you how nifty this is/will be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:33 pm 

Looking forward to seeing this completed. Love retro rifles too.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:30 pm 

Very cool! Will be tuning in to see what happens with this piece of history.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:26 pm 
Members

Ted,
One of the things I have always admired about you was your fondness and ability with these types of rifles. As a longtime fan and occasional owner of H&H, Evans, and Rigby, I am excited to see the progress on this. I, too, have the desire, but not your skill, and am trying to work something out to get some DR parts from Searcy and roll one of my own. I will be watching this with interest. Nice action BTW

:wink:

CW

"I like double barrels....Aprilia, Ducati, and sxs rifles"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:04 pm 
Members

Excellent! I play around with vintage rifles as well although I could never afford a bespoke H&H. Really looking forward to hearing your rifle's progress!

BTW- Here are a few of mine that I'm lucky to own from that era; these first two are Karamojo Bell's favorite elephant guns: first is my Rigby Mauser in .275 Rigby HV; it was retailed by Rigby on St. James Street in 1932. I have the full ledger sheet from Rigby London on this one; it was one of a pair that was ordered by Lord Zetland (then Secretary of State to the India).
]

The second is my 1903 Mannlicher-Schoenauer (in 6.5x54MS of course). This one was in original condition and perhaps even unfired when I got it except that I did find two old 160gr Kynoch's in the buttstock compartment. Its a little unique for a 03' as it has a 19" barrel. I have a few boxes of Kynoch 160gr Soilds and I put a few downrange through this one now and then.

]

And here are some pics of my Rigby drop action that I now regret I sold; Its a bespoke Rigby built on a Webley action in 400/350 Nitro Express. Retailed in Rigby London in 1913 to WM Stockley (who was a big game hunter who was killed by one of the big five in 1915). This one was a really nicely balanced gun in a good medium caliber (Paul Roberts calls it a perfect Tiger gun) :-) Rigby only made 42 of these rifles. I probably should have kept this one but it went to a good home up in Canada and travels to Africa once a year.

Last edited by RMF on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 am 
Members

This looks really cool, I can't wait to see the end result.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm 

Ted-

Just wondering if there was any progress to report?

Mark