Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:07 am 
Members

Hey all,

Hear me out here for a second.

I have always LOVED the Winchester 97 shotguns. Just something about them. I guess it's all that "noise" you get when chambering a round.

I have looked at the imported 97 shotguns that are popular in Cowboy shooting matches many times and they look and feel great. I especially like the Trench model, but those seem to be harder to find and more expensive.

Ever since seeing those imports I have had the idea to get one and use it as an HD shotgun. I know, I know, there are much better choices for the task. I would have it smoothed up real nice by someone that worked on them and then hit the range and practice on some clays just for fun and to get it broken in.

I would like to know if there is anyone else that has the same idea as I do on this 97 shotgun? How well do you think it would stand up to repeated practice use and use with HD rounds? I don't want to leave the impression that I would be shooting hundreds of full power HD loads through it every weekend, I wouldn't. Like many, I would practice with the BULK rounds at Wally world and then practice with a few HD loads.

How would these modern repros hold up to a diet of that type? Would you trust your life to one with full power HD ammo? If you were going to do a project 97 like I am talking about, what mods or work would you have done to the stock 97 before you would sit it beside your bed?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this 97 Project I am thinking of.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Nalajr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:47 pm 

The Norinco "97's" were brought out for the SAS shooters primarily. For HD, you use whatever you have so if you are going run a '97 practice with it. Also learn to keep your thumb out fo the way of the bolt.
If you're going to buy new pump, a Remington 870 is a popular choice because of the price, parts availability, and service record.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:25 pm 

I dig the 97's too so I'm all for this project. The '97 gave great service during the great war...I would think a properly prepped repro would give fine service as a HD gun. Honestly HD guns just sit, there are no hun hordes in my neighborhood. Cowboy action shooters put a lot of rounds thru their guns, I would read up on the CAS forums as far as reliability. Let us know if you decide to go ahead with this project.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:47 am 
Board Member
Board Member

The only thing I have against these is where they're made. I haven't really had hands-on with them other than picking one up at SHOT. It was rough but... I was prejudiced and '97's are not the smoothest anyway. Makes me wonder if a brand-new Winchester was rough too....? Guess we'll never know now!

A recent Winchester 97 from Hell has me wondering now, if a Norinco might be an OK choice. This chum of mine got a killer deal on a Winchester-- $330 I think. Reblued, cut off to 18", good looking wood-- but it didn't work. Each fixed problem revealed another. Somebody had replaced the fore end with one for, I think, a Model 12. I refitted it and epoxied it in place.... this was the least of the problems though. Long story short, by the time I was done, it had a new mag tube, a new fore-end (made for the '97), new ejector, I had made a spanner for the fore-end nut, had to chamfer the RH shell stop so the carrier could cam it out of the way..... it is running now, several trips and several hundred dollars later, but I keep waiting for it to come back again!

The good news is, I was able to get a like-new mag tube from Gun Parts Corp. I usually turn my nose up at them but they were the only source I found for this an apparently have a sh'load of good ones. The fore end came front Browlells and was great. The ejector came from Johnny Thundersticks who also has other '97 and SAS stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 pm 

My only recollection of the Chicom '97s was that they were rough. But, that came from CAS guys, who expected their guns to be silky-smooth, and feed wimpy-wimpy ammo all day long. As Mike Bane says, the operating principle of the '97 is blunt-force trauma. Nothing like an 870, let alone an Ithaca 37.

I would expect that a chicom '97 would need a lot of smoothing work, but would probably be correctly timed, etc. right out of the box. A Winchester in the same price range would be smoother, but require the same kind of work you just recounted. My vote, as much as it pains me: chicom.

Oh, and guys, before you recount the peculiar vices of the '97 to Ned, know this: he used a rebuilt '97 at Second Chance for a number of years, to clean our clocks on the back range.