Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: '42s, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:27 pm 

A German (who else?) company is making new FG 42s, both type 1 and 2

What surprised me was how well they pointed. Not at all unwieldy.

Post subject: Re: '42s, anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:47 am 

Patrick...I know of at least TWO American companies that have begun production of semi-FG42's, but I think both of them went belly up. If I recall..one was going to ask something like 10,000 for a semi (no thanks!). I would love to have one in semi, a friend used to have a real one, but it IS a beast on full. I agree with the pointability and feel though!

Post subject: Re: '42s, anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:28 pm 
Members

In 2003 I was training with my team at Aberdeen Proving Ground. During a break I took a couple guys to the Ordnance Museum and met Dr. Atwater. He is a very nice man. I asked him if we could see the weapons that weren't on display and he happily took us into the vault. We ended up spending two afternoons poring over the huge variety of weapons they stored. There were some guys in the vault photographing U.S. and German Airborne weapons and equipment, including two versions of the FG-42 and its optics from every conceivable angle for an XBox video game. We handled those weapons along with various Stoner M63A1 configurations (Vietnam-era), Tommy guns, Lugers, .45's, Grease Guns, German and U.S grenades and mines. Very cool.

The FG-42 does point very well and had some pretty slick optics, not unlike our modern ACOGs. I bought the whole boxed series of Band of Brothers at the PX on our way out and spent the weekend watching it in Va Beach when I got home with the fresh memories of the heft, feel and scent of those U.S. and German Airborne weapons on my mind.

Frogman