Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rat. Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 am 
Board Member
Board Member

A rifle put together and made to, reluctantly, live again.

In the tradition of rat cars-- hot rods that would have made Dr. Frankenstein proud. Rat cars are put together from improbable combinations of parts, not necessarily for high performance, not necessarily for reliability, certainly not for comfort and safety....... but for a certain look. Low. Crude. Scary..... sinister even. They most often are left in bare, rusty metal or given a purposely haphazard coat of flat black. They do it with motorcycles, too
:
Rat bike:

Rat Cars:

Now, the Rat Rifle. I call it the Enfakar: A 1917 Enfield. The AK47 caliber, 7.62X39, in an AR15 barrel. More details to follow. Warning: if you're into fine rifles, stop now, look no further!

Post subject: Re: Rat. Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm 
Members

I used to have an Ishapore Enfield, got the AK and the Ar,
I need this..

RZ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:40 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Well, over the last year I have spent several partial Sundays working on this. Way more time than I should have..... but once I wasted a few days on it, it seemed like a waste not to waste more....

I had the Enfield in parts. It came from a good friend who died from cancer several years ago (Agent Orange induced I always figured). He had planned to make a DeLysle Carbine out of it-- and Enfield modified to shoot .45 ACP, suppressed. So it came to me in parts, with the barrel out of it.

For some reason one day I just thought, "I ought to put that back together but in .308 or, hey wait a minute.... 7.62X39.

Easier thunk than done! I did manage to score a brand-new AR15 barrel in this caliber-- chambered, threaded at the back for the barrel extension but none installed, and not yet drilled with a gas port. This manufacturer catalogued an AR in 7.62X39 but never actually produced it as far as I know, although they did have the barrels started.

The threads at the chamber end were smaller than the receiver threads in the Enfield-- so a turned up a piece that wold thread onto the barrel and into the receiver. There had to be a flange on this adapter, and I was able to make it right to a certain dimension so that when the barrel socked up tight, headspace was done. That was the easy part.

The .303 British round is rimmed. When you lift the bolt handle and extract a case, the extractor is holding the case on the flat-ended bolt face and the case is riding along the inside of the receiver until it strikes the ejector-- just a protrusion that kicks it out. The 7.62X39 rim diameter is quite a bit smaller, so I had to come up with a way to keep the case under the extractor, in other words, to keep it from just falling out or getting pushed over too far by the extractor. I pretty much rebuilt the bolt head with a raised ring around it-- so now the bolt face was recessed, like an AK or AR bolt. Now the extractor would push the case head against the other side of this recess. That worked, but now the ejector was too short.

I made a new ejector that is spring-loaded. The spring is a piece of SKS stripper clip screwed to the outside of the receiver, which pushes a hardened pin ground to a blade shape on the end. When the bolt is forward, it is pushed out of the way. When you retract the bolt, it follows an ejector slot that allows it to move in deep enough to get under the rim and kick it out.

It was a lot of work to get it to take AK mags, and the mags must be slightly modified too, although once modified, they'll still work in an AK, The original Enfield mag catch is used with a little filler piece silver brazed in. A forward filler block/feedramp is double pinned inside the receiver.

I made a Picatinny-spec scope rail from a piece of Weaver rail stock from Brownell's. The front receiver ring and rear receiver bridge are machined to mate to the rail with recoil-bearing and side-locating lugs in both places. The scope is an appropriately old Weaver 4X. I need to find some rattier rings for it, in steel.

I wanted the rat look and aura but not to the point where I'd sacrifice safety or utility. I think I have a knockabout deer rifle here!

I intend to eventually put irons sights on it too, from an M-1 carbine, as a tip of the hat to Mom and Dad who made them in WWII. I have a rear carbine sight that I believe was a reject from the plant where they worked. Should be no sweat getting a front one and adapting them, but I believe the rear sight and scope will have to be an either-or deal. I'll find a spot somewhere on the gun to "store" the rear. Once I get those on I can add "bine" to the end of the name to make Enfakarbine.

Have not shot it a whole lot yet, and not at all beyond 25 yards. I have experimented in the past with trying to get max accuracy from an AK and ammo is of course a big part of it. It'll be no surprise that commercial loads from Federal, Fiocchi, and Lapua give much better groups than Chinese surplus. I'll be wrapping the Enfakar into a couple range sessions this spring.

So one day I was consoling myself-- all the time I had put into this where I might have been doing something more productive....... well, I said, at least I have something that does not exist elsewhere. What has been called the best bolt-action of two world wars combined with the most prolific military rifle cartridge ever...... then I discovered that some outfit in Viet Nam is making just this thing! Newly-made rifles on the Enfield design, using AK mags >sound of air escaping from balloon< !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Here's what the interface between the receiver and the scope rail looks like.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:08 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I got a bona-fide 1 1/2" group out of this thing today, off bags at 100 yards. I had to resort to Lapua ammo to do it, but "we" did it. If I can get some more of this I might just try again with a bigger scope temporarily mounted just to see what the limit might be. Remington green box did OK.... Remington UMC and Fiocchi were not quite as good. Norinco was, as one would expect, out to nearly 5".

Not that I think an Enfield is a ever going to be a tack-driver, but..... not bad all things considered. Would like to see if I can get consistent groups approaching 1 MOA.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:27 am 
Members

That is just totally cool. One part ingenuity, one part utility, one part unique...and eco-friendly too! Given all the recycling :D

You might wanna try Win Power point too, fairly accurate, and excellent expansion.
Again, very very cool.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am 

Ned-
This is an cool little rifle, love the idea.... hell I want my own now. Nice work