Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: .300 AAC Blackout
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:36 am 
Board Member
Board Member

This is actually a pistol and not a rifle, and yet I was worried that my fellow 1911 smiths might skin me if I put it in with the custom 1911's!

About a year ago I took a customer's AR-15 pistol and changed it over to .300 AAC Blackout. Used an Armalite SPR-1 monolithic upper and a Satern barrel.... it worked and shot very well.

I asked him to send it back recently to put an adjustable gas block on it-- I got a few from Paladin Machine and I thought they were very nicely made so I thought his BLK might be a good place to try one out.

Barrel with gasblock installed. It is made with two 10-32 set screws to hold it on the barrel-- as is my practice I used them to hold the thing in place while I drilled for a cross pin. Same deal with the gas tube-- the instructions are cut .900 off it and then it's held in the block with two set screws. I put two .078 roll pins in place to make sure it stayed put when the screws come loose. The rotating adjustment shaft is held in place with a snap ring. The whole thing is heat treated but is on the 'tough" side rather than the "rock hard" side, so I was able to take a little weight out of it-- maybe 1/2 ounce, big deal. It is not heavy to begin with. I had to do a lot of machining and fiddling with the Armalite unit to make room for the gas block-- it is a little larger than the lo-pro unit I had used originally.

Close up of it all together.

The muzzle device is a simple cone flash hider made out of titanium. I took one web out of the rail for access to the adjustment. Worked out about right, you can get to it but it doesn't stick out anywhere.

Post subject: Re: .300 AAC Blackout
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 am 

OK, gotta ask, what's the gizmo on the bottom of the carrier?

And, cool gun, in the full Nedlyness of ARs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:56 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Good question! That is the wrench for the flash hider. There's just no other way to get hold of it, so with this little thing you drop it into the FH slots, and then use the carrier as the persuader.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:15 am 

[stunned silence]

Head-shaking.

[more silence]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 am 
Board Member
Board Member

[curly] nyuck, nyuck, nyuck [/curly]

If it was a full-auto carrier I think I could have made raised bosses on the brake and used the slot of the carrier itself with no other part.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:52 pm 

If I saw that AR lying at a shooting range my first thought ...."Ned forgot his gun". The wrench for the Flash hider is really cool and I even guessed that was what it might be. Only downside is how do you attach the suppressor?, because the 300AAC is neat but it excels at being quiet.

If we can push hunting with suppressors thru the WY legislature this year I may need a 300AAC bolt gun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:04 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Well this would not take a standard 1 1/2 diameter can unfortunately because it would not fit inside the Armalite fore end..... but I believe I could bore the last 1" of it to clear one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:19 am 
Board Member
Board Member

A couple more pics.....

First one: Carrier insert which contains (pick one):

A. Rack-and-pinion regulated reciprocating tantalum counterweight dampened in gas-charged atmosphere (nitrogen, argon and flatulus). Gives a rate of fire that is not slower, not faster... but just right.

B. A little Delrin cup containing a couple tools for working on the gun.

Here's the cup removed and tools spilled. One is for removing the flash hider. It fits into the slots on the end and then, using the slot at the rear of the bolt carrier as a cheater, you can remove or install it in the event you want to change to something else. Otherwise the fore end has to come apart so the FH's wrench flats can be accessed.

And-- the gasblock adjustment tool in use. Gasblock adjustment without a tool is easy-- until you've fired a mag through it. I hate having to use a tool to do it but I did not want anything sticking out-- like a big knob or lever-- to snag on things or get broken off. Big green dot= wide open, subsonics. Small green dot= reduced gas passage for supersonic ammo. Red dot with "X", closed. Tool uses a cartridge or case as a "T" handle.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 am 

[continued slack-jawed silence]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:22 pm 

:shock: umm, well, ahh yeah... Didn't see that coming, Ned just pushed the limits.... Again

That is awesome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:22 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Very nice; I've been considering a 300 Blackout for some time now. Just haven't made the move as yet.

Jeffvn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:43 am 

I was just out to the range today with my wife. She took one shot with my suppressed .300 Blackout, fed 220 gr subsonics. At the thwack of the impact, turned and grinned. I think I just lost a rifle.

I'd have Ned build her one, but she'd lose patience and just snatch another one of mine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:41 am 

More beyond impressive customizations from his Nedliness. I'd like to take a peek inside your brain sometime :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:57 am 
Members

Ingenious gas system, muzzle device, built in tools....what else could you want. I've been plagued with gas problems on my build, mainly due to powder availability, but would love to have something like this.