Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PVD Finish for a Rifle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:04 pm 

Roger Green has been building for me this Brevex M400 double square bridge Mauser, serial number 40 out of 800 or so, fitted with five stainless steel Lothar Walther barrels in .338 Lapua plus two chrome moly Lothar Walther barrels in .416 Rigby.

I have been looking for a PVD finish for the action and the SS barrels. Black Nitride offered by H&M Metal Processing of Akron is out for requiring application at 1000 degrees F. There is a local outfit that does the Desert Eagle pistols for Magnum Research and they offer options for PVD coating, from traditional TiN to Al and zirconium. Applied at 500 degrees F, it is too high a heat for the action and the two .416 Rigby barrels with the express sight soft soldered in place. It would work on the stainless steel .338 Lapua barrels, but I am not excited to have them subjected to this kind of heat either. Lastly, there is tungsten-containing DLC (W-DLC) offered by Ionbond, with its deposition temperature under 302 degrees F. However, they are applying their PVD coatings mainly on pistol and revolver parts through the manufactures. Their shotgun applications are very limited to some bolts with diamond-like carbon to reduce friction or Titanium Nitride to produce a golden look. Their laser hardening is only done in Germany at this time.

So I find myself at the end of my rope. I would be very grateful for any referrals.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:46 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Last I knew, Springer Precision was the only path to Ion Bond; I presume that what you know about it came from them? But you don't sound certain they won't do rifle barrels-- might be worth a call.

I had a source for chrome sulphide to blacken stainless-- if it's blackening you're after more than the other properties-- but I haven't used them in so long I've lost track and contact. But, Robar was also doing it, then dropped it, and I think they're doing it again. It's essentially blueing for stainless. But-- now that I think about it-- I'd like to know what would happen if they tried that process on top of their NP3, so a guy could have the protection of NP3, but in black. I never asked about this and suddenly it seems like a good idea, I'm told NP3 will stain under certain conditions...... I'm certain both processes will be compatible with the soldered sights.

Somebody has a truckload of 8.6X70 and a shoulder made of iron! (And a most unusual website).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:11 pm 

Concerning Ionbond, my information comes from the horse's mouth. I want PVD for maximum protection from surface wear with much less buildup than plating or Ceracote. The main issue with PVD applications to rifles seems to be the chamber pressure. The Brevex Mauser action is made out of case hardened mild steel to be safe up to 65,000 psi (4,500 bar) of pressure. Subjecting it to high temperatures would compromise its strength.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 am 
Board Member
Board Member

At 3-400 degrees there is no heat treat concern with PVD's, I gather we are in agreement on that...?

No need for buildup concerns with any plating process as long as they don't do the bore and receiver face / barrel shoulder (and if they did the last two I'm sure Roger could work around it).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:15 am 

In addition to heat, I'd be concerned about chemical reactions to the soft solder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:57 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I have not PVD'd over soft solder but electroless nickel, I have, and there was no prob. NP3 being, as it is, electroless nickel with some Teflon shaken in (when plating a gun for 007, it is imperative that it be shaken, not stirred).