Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:16 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

OK
I have a Wild West Takedown 45/70, Big Lewie 45/70, Lil Lewie 44mag, a .308 Brockman Scout, a 9.3X62 Scout bring built by Ted (Ill call you this week Ted).
I have a NULA by Melvin Forbes in 22, 308 and 9.3X62

Anyway...
Not ready to build yet BUT ready to start planning my next!
I want something that can shoot long and flat. Something my son can shoot someday when he starts hunting.
I have been debating 270 win, 280 rem or 7X64 B.

I am REALLY leaning towards the 7X64 as I like the odd cartridges (obviously with the 45/70's and 9.3X62)

I know ammo can be hard to find with the 280 and 7X64B BUT I am not sitting at the range shooting these, these are my hunting rifles which go to the range twice a year to ensure proficiency and zero so a couple cases of ammo and I am good for life.

Any thoughts or opinions? I mostly hunt in North America (hope to go to Africa someday!)
Im sure 270 is probably the best choice for long flat shooting BUT hopefully someone here can talk me out of being boring and having what everyone else does.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:38 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I have to think a custom on a Browning BLR would be interesting. In one o' them European calibers they don't carry at WalMart. Has anyone done a BLR that you know of Jeremy?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:58 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Ned, I do not have a BLR and would LOVE a Neddly BLR in the mix!

Always been a Marlin lever guy BUT I don't know how I couldn't love a BLR done by you!

What do you think about doing a 416 Rigby????

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:01 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Hey I wasn't offering to do it, just thinking out loud..... I don't know lever guns very well but I had the idea the BLR had a short and smooth action, Plus you can get it magnum calibers I think....? So ought to be plenty strong. Magazine fed so pointy rounds no prob.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:05 pm 

Quote:
Hey I wasn't offering to do it, just thinking out loud..... I don't know lever guns very well but I had the idea the BLR had a short and smooth action, Plus you can get it magnum calibers I think....? So ought to be plenty strong. Magazine fed so pointy rounds no prob.

Can you recommend any person to do it? :?: I want to know more details with it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:08 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I have never seen anyone do up a BLR. I mean surely somebody somewhere has engraved one and restocked it but I mean to do it up the way I think Jeremy is envisioning-- correct me if I'm wrong here Jeremy-- but maybe like a cantilever, Scout-type scope setup, a not-26" barrel, utilitarian finish on steel and wood..... I have not seen it but would like to!

Edit-- just checked the Browning site-- the make almost exactly this, and in a takedown! And in .358 Winchester.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... sp?f1=003B