Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:40 pm 

I made a trade with a friend of mine in Ohio for his 1897 Winchester. His photos didn't do much justice; this gun is (the barrel date is "40") in excellent condition. It has a cylinder choke, 20" barrel, sling swivels; all indicators that it is a factory made Riot Gun. From what I've read, State National Guard Winchester 97 Riot Guns are somewhat hard to find...

It was sold in 1976 by the Adjutant General's Office as surplus military equipment; my friend's father-in-law bought it; and until my friend received it, it was behind the master bedroom door, ready for action! There is a 4 digit number punched in the wrist of the stock; I suspect it may be a property or rack number. I think I got a fair deal considering what I had in the M1A and the condition of the shotgun...here are my pictures that don't do a lot of justice ever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:09 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

You dog! Surely one of the most interesting '97's out there, man don't lose that piece of paper!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:51 pm 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
You dog! Surely one of the most interesting '97's out there, man don't lose that piece of paper!

Ned - it's in the safe...! With several copies.

Talking with my friend (I owe him more then I could ever pay him - when I moved from Michigan to Texas he came from Ohio to Michigan, helped me load a 16' Box Rental Truck with all my guns and ammo, and then helped me drive it in 22 hours from just north of Detroit to San Antonio...that's a friend!) he says the gun was used by the Ohio State Department of Corrections. I don't know if it was a loaner from the Ohio Army National Guard to them or Corrections had the Adjutant General broker the sale of excess property. I have a couple of contacts I can try to get some more info - it will give me something to do tomorrow!