Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SIG 1911's
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:53 pm 

Hello All,
I have numerous Colt 1911's and love the platform of the 1911. I was wondering what the brothers hear thought about Sig Sauer 1911's ? I have never seen any customized so, that worries me about them. Any feedback ?

Post subject: Re: SIG 1911's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am 
Members

I think they had some initial problems with using high quality parts that were meant to be hand fit (and not doing so) but more recently have smoothed thing out and are really giving kimbers a run for a lower price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:24 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

In my case it is simply that I haven't seen them very much. In the last 4-5 years I think I've run across an officer or two who brought one to class but I Don't recall ever having been inside one and as it happens no one has sent me one for custom work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:02 am 
Members

I received a Spartan Model as a Christmas gift 2012. I have had some range time with it and it has run without a hiccup. I purchased their model that was done in collaboration with 5.11 Tactical, commander length with traditional guide rod and recoil spring cap, round butt frame and VTac sights. This pistol too, has run like a sewing machine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:13 pm 

SIG 1911s are relatively new to the market so maybe they just don't have the appeal of the Colt name for dropping $2000-$5000 into for a full custom. I bought a Sig Spartan Carry quite frankly for the Bronze finish and the Spartan grips. What can I say, just looks cool to me. So I bought it with the intention to leave it stock for the most part because of the finish. I haven't shot it a ton but it is more accurate than I expected and has been 100% reliable. I know early on I heard extractor breakage issues but I didn't follow those stories at the time because the Sig 1911 line didn't really excite me. At any rate, EGW makes an improved extractor so I may do that to it but otherwise it will be the one of a few stock 1911s.

Truth be told, Colt and maybe Springfield would be the only two production 1911s I would invest in customizing. I'm good with some of the aftermarket sets like Caspian, STi, SVI, etc. but for a factory gun Colt & SA would be my limits for factory, production grade guns. There is just more nostalgia with them IMO. That is not to say that a SIG 1911 wouldn't make a good custom base. I think their quality is good, and in all honesty if you are getting a full custom the frame & slide are likely the only original parts left.