Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Scout Rifle anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:00 pm 

Something that I had wanted to buy for a while; when they first came to my local gun shop they didn't have any in .308; so I passed on it. I found this used Mannlicher Steyr Scout .308 at Bud's Gun Shop online. The original receipt for the gun was in the box; I paid $400 less then the original buyer 2 years ago! Here are some photos; the scope, a Leupold 2X Pistol Scope, has been bore sighted; now to get to the range and finish dialing it in!

Post subject: Re: Scout Rifle anyone?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:37 am 
Members

Looks like fun..

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:47 pm 

Some of those epic gun rifle I like to buy with. :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:34 am 

I never could see the point. I knew Jeff fairly well and he was well aware that no bolt action constitutes a fighting rifle. The bolt action went obsolete for that task with the advent of the AK. Yet he claimed that SOMEHOW, the mere possession of a Scout rifle converts you from being a subject to being a citizen. No it doesn't, no matter what rifle it is, but certainly, he was not talking about hunting with that reference.

If i have to choose between being limited as to my gametaking ability, vs being limited in combat vs my govt', I'll take a "poodle-shooter" M4, any day, if it's got luminous sights and a good sound suppressor. If it's got a scope, trigger job and match ammo, free float tube, and bipod, I can make it suffice to 1/4 mile, which is plenty far enough and reaches enemies at least as far as can be reliably done with the Scout Rifle, when the latter has nothing more than plain based 150 gr softpoints. I can brain big critters to 100 yds with the M4, which is at least 2x the range at which bowhunters take such critters (all the time).

The Steyr Scout is so overpriced as to be laughable. Savage and (I think) Ruger offer US made variants of the Scout, for about 1/3rd as much money.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:45 pm 

i love the rifle, carries well, shoots very accurately. I find the 2X scope adequate for Tennessee whitetail.

if a person is patient you can find them cheaper than retail.

great purchase i know you will like it.