Visit us on facebook

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:17 am 

Forgive me if this is not in the the correct spot to post this question-
With all of the news recently of the economy, I am wondering if any of you all have felt the impact, either with changes in current orders or spots for future builds?
I recall reading a few years back on the impact of economic downturns in the past and how it impacted the total overall number of custom gunsmiths plying the trade- and how it took nearly 15 years for the numbers of custom gunsmiths to recover.
I will try to find the article, it was interesting, and insightful to the thin margins many of you operate on-
I would think the current situation would have some impact, but by the nature of what you all do, the customers who do order would do so regardless of the economy. Somewhat recession proof at the core, but outside of the core of folks who love and have these works or art built, I wonder if there are some now hesitating to commit-
In turn, if you all would indulge me, I would be curious to hear what impact you all see at the SHOT show this year.... how it compares to past years-
I went to a trade show for my industry in October, and even then there was a noticable difference in the booths, handouts and freebies- and the new offerings for the next year.
Again, I am just curious for your input-
As always, thanks for such a great site, I truely enjoy it daily- and I have learned so much by getting come in and read!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:44 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

dacinokc wrote:
With all of the news recently of the economy, I am wondering if any of you all have felt the impact, either with changes in current orders or spots for future builds?

No. (Speaking only for myself.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:49 pm 

In general this harsh economy has dismantled a number of industries. Discretionary consumer
items have been ravaged. BUT handgun demand may be affected by other trends which counter
act the recession. Perhaps one is the cloud of doubt about our new President's intentions regarding
gun laws.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/us/07guns.html?_r=1

As this article says "But markets, whether for guns or stocks and bonds, tend to move with their own internal dynamics even in — perhaps especially in — gloomy economic times"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:24 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

There's a problem with the economy?
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:43 pm 

I am so poor living on disability now. that I would never notice!! That and living up here in the mountains of rural Appalaichia..which is about as far from Wall St. as you kin' git'!! Most folks here don't even know HOW many L's are in Street!). As my Dad used to tell me about growing up on the Virginia/West Virginia border during the depression (again, they didn't notice much change in their day to day life) "We were so poor, we couldn't afford to pay attention"!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:25 pm 

It may take a while, but I would be very surprised if the custom pistol market doesn't contract due to the
economy. Joking aside, a pistol may not be a discretionary consumer good, but custom pistol costing $3K
is.

This may first show up in the resale market, when pistols that used to be snatched up just plain don't sell.
Terry Peters might be the best guy to answer this.

None of this is meant to say that the best in the business (like LTW guys) may not sail right through with no
problems at all. I certainly hope so.

When our country losses 650,000 jobs in ONE month, there really isn't anywhere to hide. Even physicians
are seeing a big drop in business.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Your post gave me pause for thought, John Boy. I don't want to be smug about it..... I know this is a huge problem for a lot of good folks. As a one-man shop though it'll be easier to weather than a place with dozens or hundreds of employees.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:12 am 

Doesn't offend me at all Ned. We are all "one man shops", but few of us confront that reality.
Anyone who isn't managing their value in the job market-place is toast. I have, and I'm doing
fine. BUT, I'm not going to buy a $3,000 pistol right now, because it isn't prudent. 35 years
of never missing a paycheck comes with a healthy respect for what "could" happen.

I'd guess that most pistolsmiths are one man shops. Weathering a horrible economy
wasn't really the question the original poster had, it was if business is slower.
If Tim Brian says it isn't slower, then by golly I will take it at face value.

I can say with some certainty however that total US demand for $3,000+/- custom pistols is
down. Certainly being among the best at what you do is a huge advantage!

John

Ned Christiansen wrote:
Your post gave me pause for thought, John Boy. I don't want to be smug about it..... I know this is a huge problem for a lot of good folks. As a one-man shop though it'll be easier to weather than a place with dozens or hundreds of employees.