Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:47 am 

First, let me apologise to Ted and the other administrators if I am overstepping my bounds here with this post. I am sure the LTW crew would want to make their own announcement, but since there is already an impromptu eulogy going in the "accessories for sale" section, I thought I would go ahead and post some info both on my own feelings, and the wishes of the family via their friend (and an employee of Lou's) a Mr. Tom Kulwicki.
When Mr. kulwicki called me this afternoon to tell me of Lou's passing away, I was completely overwhelmed! I had just spoken to Lou on Thursday afternoon for about an hour, and he was in the shop diligently working on some ankle holsters and trying to catch up on orders. He was back to his normal jovial self and was happy as hell. We had a great chat, and a bit of a celebration. You see, after Lou's long stay in the hospital last fall, he remained somewhat tired and weak, plus the docs wouldn't allow him back in the dusty environment of his shop due to having the open area in his chest. He told me several times that he was rearing to go as soon as they cut him loose. But then...a couple of days before Christmas the doctors called and told him that they had found another "spot" on his pelvis and they would have to begin another series of radiation on him at the first of the year. He told me and Torrejon about this, and asked both of us to keep this round secret even from the other members here, which except for one exception I respected his wishes. He had called to ask if I knew anyone who might want to buy his personal Commanders that were built specially for him by Ed Brown if I remember correctly, with him being off the bench for so long money was getting tight. I contacted Jason and explained this to him and asked if the members might be able to pass the hat and help out. Lou was very down, and very embarassed by this..plus he told me that he was really scared about this round of radiation. He was able to get through the treatments, and had just found out last week that the radiation was a complete success, hence our "celebration". So to have him taken so quickly and unexpectedly was a horrible shock to me, as I'm sure it was to so many others! I have been undergoing some serious health issues myself, and Lou and I had been "coaching" each other for quite some time now and had gotten to be good friends....I shall never forget his humor, his grace, or his example! GOD BLESS YOU UNCLE LOU and you wonderful family.
Mr. Kulwicki has asked me to post his information to use for contact with the family for the time being, so with respect to him I am doing so. I apologize for the length of my post. Here is the contact info and cell phone for Mr. Kulwicki, who worked part-time for Lou for many years:

Lou Alessi‏
You may not know this sender.Mark as safe|Mark as junk
Sent: Sun 2/22/09 2:23 AM
To: jrm_canine@hotmail.com

Hello John,

Thank you for your help, This is my email address and phone number for those that would like to send a note.

Lou will be missed greatly by everyone who knew him around the world.

I don't know of a man with a bigger heart than Lou, and someone who would always take the time to share his stories or words of encouragement.

Once again, thank you sincerely,

Tom Kulwicki
716-432-6410

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:15 am 
Members

I think many of us tend toward believing we're only ordinary people, that we don't really matter much.

Every day of his life and ours, Lou Alessi reminded us that no one is ordinary.

Godsend, Mr. Alessi.

Respectfully,
ArtCrafter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:01 am 

Rest in peace ! Thanks for being a great person and giving us the finest leather gear ever.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 am 

Lou's passing was certainly a suprise, the news we had been hearing on the internet sounded good. I've done business with Lou for maybe the last 10 years, it seemed that when I was going through that gun of the week stage that Lou was always just a phone call away for a holster. I know during the time I've used Alessi leather I have always cherished the art of making a quality piece of leather. While my son was deployed to Iraq in 2007 I would occasionally hear from Lou via Email with words of encouragement. I consider myself blessed to have known Lou, I feel that only occasionally can a person meet someone like Lou and they should cherish the thoughts of that friendship. Though I never actually met Lou, we exchanged emails and phone call I still call him a friend. Hopefully God will watch out for the family and allow them to make it through this hard time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:26 pm 

JR -

Thanx for the post. I heard the bad news, as all of the Tom-Toms throughout our world are beating to the sound of the bad news. I was fortunate enough to call Lou my friend.

Lou was a gentleman of the highest order, and a true innovator and genius in terms of holster design. A true icon of the industry was he. Most shooters will never know how much he did for all of them; they not understanding how many manufacturers shamelessly reproduced his designs with no attribution at all. Someone walking around with a knockoff holster will likely never know it was Lou who not only came up with the idea and a better execution, but who was gentleman enough to never complain about it or enter into litigation. Lou told me that he let many people use his designs, and that he felt imitation to be a form of flattery; but that he appreciated those who would just call him and ask to use his designs - and then he would he even help them with their execution and business endeavors. What a prince.

I remember speaking to "Uncle Luigi" shortly after Christmas, and he said was more worried about the business than he was worried about himself. He said that he thought he was going to get through his current illness OK, but that he was worried that if customers found out he was sick again that they would freak out.

But above all, Lou was a sweet soul and a true human being. We are all richer for having known him, and I will miss him, along with everyone else who ever crossed his path.

God bless.

Chris

"I will fight them until hell freezes over, then I will fight them on the ice."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:29 pm 

I missed this until Chris pointed it to me. Might I suggest that it get moved to the holster section.

Lou will be missed by many and his contributions to the industry, both in designs and being a role model to show what being a gentleman is all about.

Adios my friend,

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:32 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Rob,
How right you are. This guy was truly a role model that many in this Industry should follow. He was a great friend to me.
I talked with him about 10 days ago and he ended the conversation with, "Bye Richard, Take care of yourself" The only time he ever called me Richard was if he was very serious. I think in the back of his mind he knew time was short. The "Take Care of Yourself" was because I had a bout with melanoma last year, so we had more than Guns and Holsters in common.
Rest In Peace Pal, till we meet again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:27 am 

As our people would say he was a "gem" of a guy and the BEST of his breed. His influence in the holster industry run deep.
We are all diminished by his passing.

CHECK OUT MY CUSTOM 1911 BLOG
http://thearsenalofdemocracy.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:53 am 

This is the link to the obituary if you'd like to read it http://obit.grecofuneral.com/obit_display.cgi?id=639097&listing=Current&clientid=grecofuneral
Rest in peace.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:06 pm 

What can I add that hasn't been said?

Lou, make God a beautiful rig wouldya?

RIP my friend!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:00 pm 

The world is a darker place today. I met Lou at Shot in 07 and spoke to him a few times on the phone. A true gentleman and a legand in leather work...he will be missed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Gents - Sorry for the delay on this... I was away from the computer over the weekend and for the better part of today I have been making travel arrangements for us to attend the service for Lou as well as touching base with our shared friends.

We were made aware of Lou's passing in the early afternoon hours of Saturday 21 Feb. I was at a class when Mari Lou called my house and spoke to my wife Jaime informing her that Lou had passed earlier that morning. Ted was also contacted and began to make calls to the LTW BOD as well as others. Initially we were asked not to post anything on internet forums in order to let the family make arrangements and contact those who they felt needed to be informed directly as opposed to reading it on an internet bulletin board.

We appreciate everyone's patience, care, and outpouring of sympathy with this and I want to especially thank JR Munsey for taking the time to start this thread, thank you sir.

I know I can safely speak for all of us at LTW when I say this place will never be the same without Lou.

Lou was from the ‘old school’ in more ways than I could ever put into words and in every fashion he embodied exactly the kind of man our industry should embrace. Lou was renowned and celebrated in the firearms industry, and rightfully so. He was also what I believe to be the foremost holster craftsman to have ever lived and I have comfort knowing that the legacy he created lives on not only through his work but also through the continuation of the craft that Lou held in such high regard and took so much time to help others with. Long after we’re all gone the enduring quality and craftsmanship of Alessi products will be a testament to his knowledge and skill. But even more than the craft in which Lou did so much to raise to its current level, those who knew him will remember him as a person of true substance and as a man of character and genuine nature.

I suspect Lou Alessi was one of the truest friends to many in the industry as he was to me. I will miss my friend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:52 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Amen, there was no truer friend and gentleman in the industry. A caricature of a character larger than life, who was the real deal in every respect.

Lou, you are tremendously missed already.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:53 pm 

See you on the flip side Lou, RIP!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:05 am 

In days gone by, in order to build a bridge across a large body of water or a canyon, they would throw a rock or stick with a string attached to someone on the other side. They would then tie a small rope to the other end of the string and pull the rope across, then a larger rope, and ultimately ended up with a sturdy passage to the other side for all to cross.
"Uncle Lou's" leather was that first stone into most of our hearts. Then as we interacted with him, the leather became less important, as we each got to feel the warmth, kindness and love that this extraordinary man radiated. He was truly a "bridge-builder" among men. When most of us started a relationship with Lou, the holster was "the prize". Then when we got to know him and feel his great warmth, the real prize was knowing him and being touched by him.
May the Good Lord grant him peace, and send peace and comfort to all those who mourn his passing and celebrate an exemplary life.
Jeff ("Jeffro")

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 am 

Jeff....a very fine eulogy ther....I think that is right on the mark!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:31 pm 

Lou was a great guy from the 'old school'.
He leaves behind a legacy that will never be surpassed.
He will be sorely missed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:30 pm 

I did not know Lou as well or for as long as many here. However, I feel the need to say that it was truly a pleasure to get to know him and I feel lucky to have been friends with him. He was the kind of person that it was impossible to merely have a business relationship with and not become friends with. I will miss his emails.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:34 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

I was very saddened to hear of the passing of my good friend and mentor. Lou was a friend to everyone he met, and I am glad I got a chance to know and meet such a fine example of a human being. He is really without peer.

He was so generous with his knowledge of leathercraft that it was actually surprising. One does not expect such generosisty when you share the same portion of the industry - but that was just Lou. He would share his knowledge with anyone who had the courage to ask. That is how our friendship started......one little email, 5 years ago. I can't believe it has only been that long, as I feel as though we had been friends forever (of course we traded a lifetime's worth of emails in that time). I learned so much from him in that short time.

I hope that some day people will talk as highly of me as they do of Lou....but I dare say that it isn't likely to happen. Lou was one of a kind.

Unfortunately I am not able to attend the services, but I don't really like crying in public anyway.

I will miss you Uncle Lou!

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:37 pm 
Members

I feel a profound sense of loss, both personal, and to the industry. This is coming from a mere customer who has exchanged (way too many for him to tolerate, but he did-gladly) emails and phone calls. I cannot begin to imagine the sadness felt by those of you who were lucky enough to know him, let alone his wife and daughter. There will not be another like him. I'll remember him everytime I carry one of his rigs into a dark and scary place. RIP Lou.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 am 
Members

Lou was one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet. RIP my friend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 am 
Board Member
Board Member

The firearms industry has lost a hero.
The holster industry has lost a giant.
His family has lost a large part of their lives.
I have lost a good friend.

He touched many lives. Our world is worse without Lou, but heaven is a better place with him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:08 pm 

Well said CT ! We miss you Uncle Lou............. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:56 am 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Well, I just couldn't seem to come up with any words that would express the way I really felt. Getting to say goodbye to Uncle Lou, and being in the company of those closest to him have given me a few.

10PM Tuesday night, we were in Lou's shop. It's a time capsule, a museum, a retreat from the world's worries, and the sights and smells take you to another place and time. To say Lou's presence could be felt would be an understatement. It's hard to describe the feeling I get just by seeing the tools he used and the place where Lou did what he absolutely loved to do. I sat in his chair for a few minutes, and I got a little feel for his work day may have been like. Most evident was the fact that if you worked with Lou, you were close to him, and in every possible way. If you were a customer in the shop, there was no sterile waiting area with an "employees only" sign barring access to the place where the magic happens. The words "Old School" are used a lot in reference to Lou, and the expression wouldn't fit anyone better. I'm grateful for the lesson.

It's important for all of us to remember that Alessi Holsters is a family business, and one that we all should continue to support. There will never be another like Lou Alessi, but those who he's entrusted with his skill and passion deserve the loyalty, and the opportunity to continue the legacy.

We miss you Lou.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:22 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

"Dewar's Profiles"

There shoulda been one about Lou Alessi. I heard so many great stories Tuesday night from Lou's wife and partners.... a few I'd heard before from Lou. The kind of stories where you don't think "oh, I've already heard this one before", I mean the kind where every time you see the people who were there, you think, "I hope they tell the one again about...."

Being in his house for the first time, seeing what was on his bookshelf, the awards on his office wall, the letters of gratitude from police agencies....... Dewar's Profiles material for sure!

And the shop, oh, the shop. It fairly dripped with the soul and essence of Lou. That great Alessi holster smell..... the well worn tools of the master and his able craftsmen.... it was something I won't forget. I was also a great pleasure to shake the capable hands of the people who will continue the traditions set by Lou. They are a close knit group of family and friends who have been a part of the business for decades.

Dewar's Profiles...... well, at least we lucky few got to have a few sips from Lou's last bottle of Dewar's. Rest well, Lou.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:00 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Wow, where to start. I sure wish I never had to post to a thread like this but the longer you live the chances do get better you will have to.

"Louie the Legend" kept going through my mind when I found out he had passed. Most of our heroes are born out of t.v. and movies and you sometimes lose track that they are make believe heros. They even have awards shows honoring those who play make believe and give them millions of dollars and gold trophies to validate their very being. Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, and many others "played" heroic roles but only a few meet the actual standard of being larger than life.

Our friend Lou was just that larger than life. He didn't become that by concious choice it was due to his generous nature, his love of life, and that fact that he treated everyone like gold. Lou is legendary because there just aren't a whole lot of people like that. He did top shelf work, he was honest, and he loved the people he worked with and for. If he said you were his friend...you were without question. I often wondered how he was always in a good mood and would share a conversation with you despite how busy he was. Or he would call and say "Stevie?" and I would just smile and settle in for a few. That question was answered when we met his family and friends in Buffalo. These folks were genuine people who loved him dearly. Ida Marie is one of a kind. A supportive wonderful wife and friend to Lou, they are inseparable. Tom Kulwicki and Skip Ritchie are some of the best people we had ever met. They rallied around Lou, the shop, and his family.

Lou was not a make believe legend he was the real thing. His shop was from another era, and he had Mary Lou his assistant for thirty plus years. Imagine a shop that contacts you by phone and typed letter these days. She is another reason Lou was so pleasant. I am guessing that if he wasn't she would give him a look and he would straighten out, what a wonderful woman.

For my own selfish reasons I am sorry he is gone. Not being able to call him and just talk about anything is the worst. Not being able to order leather and then bust his chops about how long it took will bother me down the road.

Either way Pallie, you did more in a lifetime and touched more people and had the best friends than most anybody could dream of...except us we had you as a friend and you weren't make believe. The lights will stay on in the shop, the machines will get turned on again and another clear plastic bag with the white sticker will go out in the mail. It will be different because you are not there but your legacy will continue. You put your time and us thanking you for it just doesn't seem to be enough. Rest well my friend you earned it.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:11 pm 

Sorry guys but I found these two quotes today while researching something else...BOTH immediately brought Lou to mind and I thought I'd share them:
"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless"--Mother Teresa

"Laughter is an instant vacation"--Milton Berle

Anyone who ever talked to Lou will never forget his warm laugh and his deep kindness, so both are appropriate for him. I hope his legacy lives on in us all, and I hope his vacation is truly rewarding...he deserves it like few others do! Love ya' Lou and miss ya'--John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:14 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Watched "The Bucket List" this weekend. This was one of the opening lines, and it really hit me.

I think this really sums up Lou in every way.

“It’s difficult to understand the sum of a person’s life, some people would tell you it’s measured by the ones left behind, some believe it can be measured in faith, some say by love, other folks say life has no meaning at all……Me, I believe you measure yourself by the people who measure themselves by you.”

I don't think there is a tape long enough.....

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:44 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Hello to all This is Lou's wife, Idamarie. I was finally able to get Louie's password so I could get into this site. Quite frankly, as I sat here and read all of your messages, I'm thinking I should have waited until more time had passed.

I knew my husband was loved and well respected by SO many people, but the enormity of all of your words hit me in the chest like a ton of bricks.

I don't know how to convey my love and gratitude to all my dear ones at LTW. You all know how Louie felt about all of you and how much he LOVED being at SHOT with you. He loved all of you, period! He often spoke of all of you to me during conversations we had at home.

I often said I wished I loved my job as much as Louie loved creating the masterpieces he did. His shop was his love, his life.

Seeing all your faces here for the funeral means more than I can ever say here, I only hope you realize how much it meant to my daughter and I. I know Louie felt your presence too.

My life and my daughter Alexandra's life has been diminished with the loss of the man we loved so dearly. Each day is harder, and each day is different for us. I still call out his name in the morniing, but I will take one day at a time and keep my loving husband in my heart, because he will get me through each day ahead.

All my love, Idamarie and Alexandra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Idamarie,

Thanks so much for stopping by. It means a lot that you'd be thinking of a bunch of rascals like us. We can only imagine the challenges these times bring, but please know that everyone here cares deeply for you and Alex, and for Lou's legacy.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to this community if there is anything you need, or anything we can do to help.

You're in all our hearts and prayers.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR