Visit us on facebook

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:27 am 
Members

(NoTE: Not reaL sure whEre thIs Goes, but 'we' aRe sure it dOesn't matTer...) :)

First, let's have us a definition: VCOM (aka, Visually-Challenged Old Man). Friends have sights; Sights have friends; VCOMs can't see either. (Neither...)

Now that we have that out of the way, let's get on to business...

The VCOM Committee has met, and except for an historical parallel (perpendicular?), no one knows...

Hysterical Perspective

In the Modern Age, no less a personage than Elmer Keith himself first put forth the ID [sic] of one or more horizontal gold bars inlaid in the front sight as an aid to long-range handgun shooting.

Fast-forward to the present 21st Century, and we get the SDTR (i.e., Same Dang Thang Revisited), only cock-eyed some ninety degrees (aka, Parallel To Ol' Plumb-Bob), and marketed as a high-end custom combat/carry sight, thus:

Now, ain't that right Purdey?

I can tell you one thing: It is VCOM-Approved!

In fact, we even (re)named it the 'Purdey Re-Bob' front sight!!!

Remnants From The Void

The VCOM Committee also considered whether the Purdey Re-Bob alone was sufficient to meet (actual) demand (need).

Suffice to say the jury is still out on that one... Can you say 0.156 (min)? How about Tritium????

Comments, as always, are welcome.

-AC

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:21 pm 
LTW Associate Member
LTW Associate Member

Fun facts to be sure :)

More fun facts include:

Elmer Keith wasn't much taller than Jason, but he dominated Mr. Burton in the stubborn, irrascible, argumentative and opinionated categories. In his defense, though, Jason was in grade school at the time - few people ever dreamed he'd grow up to be a dragonslayer. The dragon appears especially unsettled by this development.

The earliest confirmed installation of a vertical inlaid gold bar I've actually touched was a Holland & Holland Brevex magnum magazine rifle dated 1926. I've also handled a Rigby .470 double with the gold line front. Both preceded my career debut, if only by a small amount.

I believe I was first to adapt it to handgun use, something I've been doing in two consecutive centuries. VCOM is an almost tacticool name though, and you should consider protecting it. That way when the inevitable industry pogue knocks off the gold line front, at least he won't be able to steal your moniker along with it :lol:

Glad you like the sight - can you send me an application for VCOM? I think I'd qualify as a charter member.

Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.

TR