Visit us on facebook

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Are we really on our tenth charity gun already?

Looks like it, folks—and it’s ready to rumble (raffle).

LTW has, in the past, started raffles much earlier than this. We’ve talked amongst ourselves in recent years about the possibility that running a shorter raffle might actually increase interest. That’s what it’s all about after all, is selling as many tickets as possible, since the goal is to maximize the donation to the selected charity.
Which, this time around, is……

Kara’s Hope: http://www.karashope.org/

The story of Kara’s Hope is a poignant one—I suggest taking the time to go over their site and see what it’s all about, but be it known that LTW is proud to be of help to them. Here is a part of their comprehensive mission statement:

Kara’s Hope maintains a threefold mission. One aspect of our organization is focused on assisting and supporting families who have children diagnosed with Holoprosencephaly (HPE). Our goal is to offer supplemental support for expenses not covered by traditional medical insurance programs. Our heart is to help other families by providing funds for additional diagnostic procedures like 3D Ultrasounds, to provide financial assistance with un-reimbursed travel expenses, specialized baby furniture or equipment and any other equipment needs which will allow families to care for these special babies.

I’ll just say for myself, but knowing I speak for all my LTW compadres, that in recent years it has been an honor and a most rewarding experience participating in custom 1911 raffles geared toward helping those who have stepped up to defend our country, and yeah, the rest of the world too. But then again it feels good doing something to help kids who are stricken and need help. Bottom line I guess, much of what LTW is about, is “feeling good”.

You wouldn’t think it, but it can be hard selecting a charity to work with. Sometimes they don’t have the staffing, culture, or infrastructure to make a raffle happen. Sometimes there is so much bureaucracy that no one can authorize the turning of the crank that will extend the hand for us to put a check into!

Sometimes when you say “custom gun”, well, you know, they run screaming.

Not Kara’s Hope. In fact, if you look through their site, you’ll see that Kara’s Hope is well acquainted with the custom gun raffle—with firearms industry notables such as Turnbull Restorations, Nighthawk Custom, and LaRue Tactical. We’re very proud to be in the company of these outfits and to be helping Kara’s Hope.

Actual raffle startup and details: pending, for the moment. Kara’s Hope has our raffle scheduled for the first quarter of 2013. LTW’s John Harrison has been the main point of contact with Kara’s Hope and will update this thread the moment everything is locked in, but rest assured that 1) tickets will be for sale at SHOT, and 2) Kara’s Hope has the process down for taking payments online.

So, I have this wild idea….. how about a few pics of the raffle gun? More pics in coming days, to include some really tasty leather by John Ralston or 5-Shot Leather.

Rather than just blabbing up front "who did what", let's have a little fun here and see if you LTW readers can recognize the different styles and say what was done by whom.....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

For anyone just tuning in to LTW, here's a short-version of what we've done in recent years to give you an idea of what we're all about:

2006 $20K to Ted Nugent's Kamp for Kids
2007 $20K to Ted Nugent's Kamp for Kids
2008 $28K to Cops for Kids/ POSA, for pediatric cancer research
2008 $36K to americansnipers.org, helping servicemen with needs not met by the system, or in short supply
2009 $28K to americansnipers.org
2010 $40K to the Naval Special Warfare Foundation-- helping wounded SEALS and the families of those killed in the GWOT
2011 $22K to Navy SEALS Foundation
2012 $50K to Navy SEAL Foundation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:20 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

Of course an LTW Charity Gun needs some Leather too! :mrgreen:

For this year's set, I made my Concealment Pancake. I made the holster in a unique two-tone, with the lining in black and the purdy side dyed a beautiful, deep Cordovan. The trim is a stunning piece of shark that I have been saving for a special project like this.

To go with it I made a pair of my SSPC Mag Pouches, and my Mini-Wallet, both featuring the Black/Cordovan Two-Tone and Shark Trim.

John Ralston
5 SHOT LEATHER, LLC - Finely Crafted Custom Handgun Leather

http://www.5ShotLeather.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:43 am 
Members

Folks,,,,,that's $244,000 in six years!!! That means there are a lot of good and big hearted people who care!! Starting with all the smiths and craftsmen and moving down to you and I, who just double down and make it happen, every time, for some folks who really need a helping hand. Folks who aren't quite as lucky as many of us, who need a friend to boost their spirits and help them along.

Now for the goodies! Would you just look at the quality of the workmanship of that world class weapon and the superb leather that is going to be toting it around? Simple elegance!! Now,,,,, just how deep can you dig for a chance at owning, carrying, and shooting this outfit? Just how much is it worth to know that you gave, without expecting anything in return, because in your heart of hearts you knew, you wanted to help a family with their backs against the wall? I'm just chompin' at the bit waitin' for the opportunity and I know all of you are too!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:39 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Very well said, Buttermilk.

I see John Ralston has kicked in the first $100..... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:21 pm 
Members

Props fellas for once again investing the time and effort to give. I too will do my part by once again buying tickets.

Now can we talk about the Colt and leather....

Dig the five arrows and rough finish on the bushing which allows three finishes to coincide. Hope it was by design as it really accents the crown.

JR, nice of you to include your credit card :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Woulda been nice if Ralston had let the CC #'s show.... wouldn't it be ironic if on his next statement he finds he's bought 429 raffle tickets for this gun!

Let's do talk about the Colt and leather. The leather looks great, but my big question with gunleather is always, how does it smell? I'll be following my nose and my holster smelling obsession straight to it the minute I get our booth at SHOT.

Bob, I'm glad your artist's eye finds the mix pleasing. Now, start naming names! The person who correctly ID's which areas and features were done by which LTW 'smiths, I'll buy a ticket with your name on it at SHOT. An 80% score (as determined by me, hey, it's my money) is required.... in other words you can't just name one feature and one 'smith.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:04 pm 
Members

I agree with Buttermilk and Bob 100%. A great team effort on the pistol and great leather to go with it for a truly deserving cause!

What really stands out to me is the front strap checkering. It looks like only the center is checkered and the rest of the front strap is serrated horizontally. That looks really good. Who did the front strap treatment?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:07 pm 

recoil spring plug, front strap checkering and slide bevel look like c.t. brian to me. need to investigate further on the rest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:12 pm 

(Humbly enters the fray.)

Lower slide bevel looks like what I've seen on CT Brian's guns, but I also remember it from a 9mm commander out of the Yost shop before. I will guess CT did the slide treatment, including ball cuts, and the frontstrap checkering (which has shown up on some of his pistols). Looks like a Chen mainspring housing as well; I'll guess CT did that when he had the frame.

The front end looks tricky: a CT Brian recoil spring plug, but the the front of the bushing has the raised area that shows up on Ned Christiansen's work. I'll guess barrel/bushing fitting was done by Ned.

Sights and slide release look like John Harrison's part's. The slide release throws me if I'm guessing that Ned fit the barrel. Did CT do the grip safety and trigger job as well? Dang.

Might be wrong on it all, but it's fun to try.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:37 am 

Okay I'm still gettng my answer together for the gun but I think the leather was done by John Ralston. I'll get back with you on the work on the pistol. This post made me send an email to John for a little change to a current order, I'm wearing him out I know, and just sitting here in amazement at the work done on the pistol. Outstanding work people. I'm in at Kara's Hope for several tickets on the Turnbull set they are raffling right now and will be in for some on this fine set also, cant decide which would be better to win though....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:03 am 
Members

Looks like Don Williams added his Ghost Arrows to the top of the Slide.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:46 am 
Members

adolphuscusins wrote:
(Humbly enters the fray.)

Lower slide bevel looks like what I've seen on CT Brian's guns, but I also remember it from a 9mm commander out of the Yost shop before. I will guess CT did the slide treatment, including ball cuts, and the frontstrap checkering (which has shown up on some of his pistols). Looks like a Chen mainspring housing as well; I'll guess CT did that when he had the frame.

The front end looks tricky: a CT Brian recoil spring plug, but the the front of the bushing has the raised area that shows up on Ned Christiansen's work. I'll guess barrel/bushing fitting was done by Ned.

Sights and slide release look like John Harrison's part's. The slide release throws me if I'm guessing that Ned fit the barrel. Did CT do the grip safety and trigger job as well? Dang.

Might be wrong on it all, but it's fun to try.

I would agree with this but would add beavertail by CT and sights and serrate rear of slide by Jason Burton or Ted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:35 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Well, I don't care who made what part. With the LTW smiths its always going to be one great gun from the best in the business. Leather too! Kudos fellas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Somehow it was decided (forced :wink:) that I would be the Project Manager for #10. Being in that position allowed me to assign (punish) my esteemed colleagues with their work assignments. I decided to get back to everyone having a hand in this - a true LTW piece of art.

Most don't realize just how much work goes into building a top tier custom, and each member of our group put their all into this one.

In going with His Nedliness's contest, I'm going to post below what each member contributed. All the contest winner needs to do is put a name by the number.

A special thank you to Colt for supplying the base gun for us - A series 80, so California legal!

Also a big thank you to Doug and Katie Mosier of Glenrock Blue for donating the outSTANDING bluing job!

The members (in no particular order):

Don Williams
John Harrison
Jason Burton
John Ralston
Tony Barnes
John Van Zyke
Ted Yost
Stan Chen
CT Brian
Ned Christiansen

Here's the list of what was done (also in no particular order). This list certainly doesn't include everything, as all were encouraged to do any little extras they wanted. Each grouping below was accomplished by one individual. I'll start you with an easy one.

1. Leather

2. Lightened the hammer and polished the face
Trigger job 4.5 pounds
Polished Series 80 contact parts as part of the above
Fit and lightened the trigger
Adjusted and finished sights / angled, serrated and dehorned front sight
Sculpted the bushing
Fitted the blocking part of the grip safety.
Fitted the thumb safety, swooped it a bit, wrapped serrations around the back edge

3. Grips

4. Weld-up frame and slide fit
Fit Kart barrel and EGW barrel bushing
Fit Harrison Design slide stop
Re-cut and polished feedramp
Throated barrel and reamed chamber
Crowned barrel @ 20°
Fit and shaped EGW extended ejector
Blended rear of frame and slide
Install Harrison Design rear sight
Serrate rear of slide @ 50lpi
Bore-sight pistol
Clearance guide rod head for barrel feet
Lower and flare ejection port

5. Donation of all parts used

6. Raised the front strap
Radiused and checkered the front strap
Blended, radiused and checkered mainspring housing
Slightly rounded the butt
Broke the sharp edges on trigger guard
Corrected frame rounding in front of magazine release
Final polishing/aluminum oxide blasting
Final fit and assembly

7. Ghost Arrow serrations.
Machine dovetail and fit front site.
Extractor profiled and tensioned.
Firing pin stop fitted
Breech face polished and widened and the firing pin hole beveled

8. Constructed display case

9. Grip safety fit
Thumb safety blended
Frame lines straightened

10. Bevel mag well
Carry bevel front & rear of slide
Machine bottom bevels
Machine ball cuts
Machine French borders

There you have it - let the games begin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 am 

1. Leather - John Ralston

2. Lightened the hammer and polished the face - Ned Christiansen
Trigger job 4.5 pounds
Sculpted the bushing
Fitted the thumb safety, swooped it a bit, wrapped serrations around the back edge

3. Grips John Van Zyke

4. Weld-up frame and slide fit - John Harrison

Crowned barrel @ 20°
Bore-sight pistol

5. Donation of all parts used - Tony Barnes

6. Raised the front strap - CT
Final fit and assembly

7. Ghost Arrow serrations. - Don Williams
Firing pin stop fitted

8. Constructed display case - Ted Yost

9. Grip safety fit - Stan Chen
Thumb safety blended
Frame lines straightened

10. Bevel mag well - Jason Burton
Machine bottom bevels
Machine ball cuts
Machine French borders

There you have it - let the games begin.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:39 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Nope - not even close. :twisted:

Oh, and only one guess per member.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Members

OK Here is my guess
1- John Ralston
2- Ned
3- john VZ
4- Jason Burton
5-Tony Barnes
6- CT
7- John Harrison
8-Ted Yost
9-Don Williams
10- Stan chen

Nice work, to all the smiths. You Guys are really a very generous group. Thanks for all the good you do!! And I will be buying some tickets.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:01 pm 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

I'm not sure it is really a sporting challenge to guess "John Ralston" for the leather work...especially since there is a 5 Shot Leather, LLC watermark on the photo!! :lol:

John Ralston

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:12 pm 
Members

Oh, that was your work John??? Lucky guess. I had no idea :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:41 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

John Ralston wrote:
I'm not sure it is really a sporting challenge to guess "John Ralston" for the leather work...especially since there is a 5 Shot Leather, LLC watermark on the photo!! :lol:

Nobody told you to 'brand' that leather John (who we all refer to as Leatherbutt Ralston) :lol:

Oh, and no correct answer yet. Somebody better hurry and get it right before Ned spends that tenspot on a pink lady. (I mean the drink...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:26 am 
Firearms Industry
Firearms Industry

No more guesses?

John Ralston

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:23 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I've been out of the shop a few days and unable to track this thead but in the next few days I'll be back in the saddle and maybe Tim and I can pick a winner.

Also folks, there is a presentation case that goes with this one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:47 am 
Board Member
Board Member

OK, I'm back in the saddle here and I can see only one solution.

I owe two guys a ticket-- Adolphuscusins and K. Hodd each get one. Guys, when we confirm that the ticket selling machine has been fired up, drop me an Email with your particulars and you each get a ticket on me. Good job!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:38 pm 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
OK, I'm back in the saddle here and I can see only one solution.

I owe two guys a ticket-- Adolphuscusins and K. Hodd each get one. Guys, when we confirm that the ticket selling machine has been fired up, drop me an Email with your particulars and you each get a ticket on me. Good job!

Very generous; thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:58 am 
Members

Thank you Ned. That is very nice of you. Please let me know when the tickets go on sale, I want to buy some.
Thanks
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:00 pm 
Members

Oh Yeah also, can you let us know what smiths did what work. I want to see how many I got right.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:43 am 
Board Member
Board Member

K Hodd wrote:
Oh Yeah also, can you let us know what smiths did what work. I want to see how many I got right.

Here ya go...

John Ralston
Leather

Ned Christiansen
Lightened the hammer and polished the face
Trigger job 4.5 pounds
Sculpted the bushing

John Van Zyke
Grips

Jason Burton
Weld-up frame and slide fit
Crowned barrel @ 20°
Bore-sight pistol

Tony Barnes & Brownells
Donation of all parts used

CT Brian
Raised the front strap
Final fit and assembly

Don Williams
Ghost Arrow serrations.
Firing pin stop fitted

Ted Yost
Constructed display case

Stan Chen
Grip safety fit
Thumb safety blended
Frame lines straightened

John Harrison
Bevel mag well
Machine bottom bevels
Machine ball cuts
Machine French borders

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:31 pm 
Members

I did good up to the last few. Guess i need to study Harrison, Chen and Williams a little more!! Back to the books.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:23 pm 
Members

This is my favorite LTW project so far. As they say...black is beautiful..
I see new details each time I come back to this. You folks are constantly finding ways to top the last.
Absolute amazing! I will be buying MANY tickets for this. this charity is wonderful and has a nice history with the firearms community.