Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:35 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I don't show every gun I do, it kinda depends on what time of year it is (summer workload being a little heavier with traveling for classes), what the projects are, and, well, sometimes I feel like it and sometimes I don't. :mrgreen: Here's one of a few going on that's far enough along to show some of it. I would rather wait until it was done, but.... I felt like it.

A Colt Railed Commander. I don’t remember if Colt even makes this but we could not find one, so, my customer bought two brand new stainless Colts, a Colt Rail Gun and a Commander. He’s big on Commanders and Colts and stainless and wanted an integral, factory rail, so this was the beginning of the road to it.

This thread will be here on LTW only.

Slide rear serrations aren’t something that is “standard” with me but I will do them on request. “C” likes them. This pic shows the second extractor just done. In other words, the serrations were done with the first extractor in place; then the second extractor was installed and the serrations cut on it to match. You can barely see it at this point but once disassembled and everything is deburred, it will be back. 40 LPI on the slide rear matches the Shield Driver sight. The Shield Driver will be getting tritium and a wider notch... "C" likes a big dot front, too.

Checking that the FRAG on the frontstrap and MSH-F synchs with the pattern on the VZ grips—yep it does. VZ’s have been thinned a little beyond already being “thin”.

MSH-F with FRAG pattern and texture on top of each square. As it is not pinned in, it is a few thousandths short of being completely seated so you can see where the step in width is, sorta. Left column, second row up in the groove.

The rail, with all its sharp edges and corners removed. Still plenty of mounting surface and recoil lug area but you can run your hands over it and not have to reach for a bandage. This is meaningful when you are going to be training hard and fast, and shooting a lot like “C” does. This gun is not for collecting…..

Also in this pic the mid-FRAG under the trigger guard is visible. Can’t really tell in the pic but I made a new recoil spring plug from scratch. Two reasons: one, I launched the original and the face of it got quite a dent. Looking it over I thought it might be a little soft but also it was shorter than it needed to be, plus, I determined that the flat wire recoil springs are slightly smaller in diameter so a little wall thickness could be gained. I made it from a piece of cut-off Colt AR15 barrel….. keeping it all Colt ya know….

I’m not a big fan of ball cuts but in this case it was a little different, had to get the Commander slide cuts to match the Gov’t frame. And yes the Gov’t frame has been moved back to Commander specs where the barrel foot goes.

And, the magwell. Note the Challis Grips hex grip bushings, I wished a long time for something like that, they work well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 am 

Neat! Looking forward to the completed gun pix.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:49 pm 
Members

Looking great Ned, love the MSH fit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:05 am 
Board Member
Board Member

After a little further work on the serrations.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:03 pm 

Really nice Ned ! Love that Frag pattern of yours...........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:51 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Well I should hope so Arthur, glad to hear you haven’t changed your mind. Hope ya don’t mind if I throw out a link to your OACP, which I would dearly love to have for my own, just saying….
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9791

This railed Commander is for the same guy as in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8466

And this one, from ten years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6801&start=30

Don't know yet if I'm going to use a store-bought Big Dot as in the second or make one from scratch as in the first.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Hadda make a front sight to meet the customer's requirements and get the gun zero'd.
Getting closer:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:25 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

This is the wide-open sight pic with these big fellers. The blue line drawn on the paper represents how the arced target helps get the most precision from them. Cheating maybe but one needs to know where the zero is. Anyway shooting a 2” black dot doesn’t cause groups to "go all to hell”.
Front sight will get a very large orange insert and tritium.
Getting pretty close to done on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:28 pm 

Mr. Christiansen, you are a metal magician Sir; magnificent work....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I never put this much into a front sight before, just an experiment.... trying to get a bigger glow out of it......

Orange Xenoy..... this sprocket was part of a package of molds I helped design some time ago. I saved one of them and about once a year I nibble a piece off and make some kind of front sight insert out of it.

From the front, there's a 3/32 glass ball recessed forward about .080, then a 1/64 disc of clear vinyl as a cushion, then the tritium element wrapped in polished foil to reflect the light back in as much as possible, then a layer of white paper as a thermal and shock insulator, then a disc of polished foil at the end of the element, then it's all sealed in the back with epoxy. It all goes into the orange plastic insert from the back, the hole is stepped to the "crystal ball" seats and seals on the step. Then this whole thing will be epoxied and pinned into the front sight after the front sight gets DLC'd with the gun..

The crystal ball will focus an actual beam of beta particles right into your eye enabling you to see the future while you shoot.

In actuality-- it makes the "lit" part of the sight a little bigger. Not sure it was enough to notice but it was worth trying.... now we know.

Tapering the recess so the crystal ball is plenty visible.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:49 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Up stop welded onto the RH safety; downstop is pressed in to a step on the part, and riveted from the inside like a plunger tube. If it ever did come loose it would fall off the gun and not into it; but I was at the welder already for something else so I had him put some insurance on it.

The incredible amount of weight reduction gained by 36, 1/8" holes? About 97 grains / .211 oz. If you could take off ten times that again you'd still only be about 2 oz. down. It's a lot of work getting noticeable weight out of a 1911 but there are other areas with lower hanging fruit-- where you can get that much and more with less effort; I visited a couple of them, too. But if you weighed all the chips and went dollars per hour spent / ounces reduced, those chips could almost as well be gold. In other words, after doing the easy parts "it ain't hardly worth it" to go any further. On an aluminum frame, aluminum being about 1/3 the weight of steel, it is even less worth it!

I believe it was Chuck Rogers who I first saw do a down stop for an ambi.