Some of these pics are also in my "Shop" thread. Here are some more of this beauty and additional info / comments.
Left side, on the ’48 Willys:
Right side and some of the wide variety of test-fire ammo used:
Not my best camera work, but this is the magwell treatment I call “FLH”, for Fairly Large Hole. Working with the metal that’s there and not adding any, it gives a decently large target for a reload. Note that the bottom of the frame has been partially shortened, to the depth of the standard cut in front for the mag floorplate extension. This makes the seating or re-seating of a standard mag very positive. Grips are left standard length, and chamfered on the inside so that they become “magwell helpers”:
Conamyds and Minimyds all over the place! The mag release is dome-shaped on top. For years I have been angling them about 8 degrees so they are low at the rear, this is very effective, but domed is too and I'm kinda liking the looks and feel of it.
The top. I love how the shapes and lines work with each other at the ejection port and rib cuts.
Top ¾-ing view. Shield Driver™ rear sight, FallArrest™ hammer and safety, and my MSH-F™ mainspring housing.
Working on the front sight. Client wanted an orange or white insert of some kind. I do love the TruGlo sights but on a custom like this, they are just to dang sharp everywhere. And if you take the edges off, you have bare steel. You can't re-blue it or do a spray and bake with plastic and tritium in it..... so you make your own. I tried making this tiny tube out of my very-orange Xenoy piece I often use but for something this tiny it was too flexible to machine to the shape. I dug out a piece of ivory, and—too yellow. I have some very white Teflon stock but it too was too soft. I grabbed a white tail antler shed we found in the back yard years ago and presto:
Front sight, made here from prehard 4130, gets a slot in its face so the antler / tritium insert can be seen. The .013 hole in the top is a vent hole for epoxying the insert in place.
Front sight done; insert glued in, Parkerized Gun-Koted. I'm not a depends-on-glue kind of guy; the antler insert is pretty much pressed in and would probably stay even without glue-- it's totally captured in place. But, glue as extra insurance.... sure.
The front end. I meant to do a recoil spring plug with Minimyds….. to “you know who”: I’ll get one to you next time I’m sending something out for bluing. This fantastic bluing job BTW is done by Glenrock Blue….. perfection, each and every time!
One more for good measure: