ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:14 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:09 pm 

A pretty immense amount of effort put forth into this, likely the most valuable base gun I have ever cut on. Hope it is well received when it returns home with it's new look.

-2 Kart barrels 38 and 9mm

-Original Bomar Rear sight

-Yost Front

-KGB Walnut Grips

-Turnbull CCH

-Nitre accents

-Chen Safties and MSH

-And some other odds and ends :P
Attachment:
IMG_9632.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9637.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9633.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9635.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9642.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9644.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9645.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9646.jpg
Attachment:
IMG_9647.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:41 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Is there anyone who doesn't like color case hardening? Actual question.... I sure do. To me that gun conjures the first time I held a fairly new Colt SAA, what a fine combo of quality bluing and CCH it had. But first I should comment on the work, and that comment is, beautiful.

.38 and 9mm, gee, wonder which gets used more.... 8) .... and with some of the loadings out there maybe not a great deal of dif on the receiving end.

Tech question about the CCH, I always wondered but never really looked into it. So Karl, how deep and how hard is it, do you know? Not that it matters much, I mean there could not be a "not hard enough, not deep enough" since frames are pretty much accepted as fine as-is, with no case at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:40 am 

Quote:
Is there anyone who doesn't like color case hardening? Actual question.... I sure do. To me that gun conjures the first time I held a fairly new Colt SAA, what a fine combo of quality bluing and CCH it had. But first I should comment on the work, and that comment is, beautiful.

.38 and 9mm, gee, wonder which gets used more.... 8) .... and with some of the loadings out there maybe not a great deal of dif on the receiving end.

Tech question about the CCH, I always wondered but never really looked into it. So Karl, how deep and how hard is it, do you know? Not that it matters much, I mean there could not be a "not hard enough, not deep enough" since frames are pretty much accepted as fine as-is, with no case at all.
I agree with your comparison to a Colt SAA, my neighbor has a beautiful one with Ivory stock, CCH frames and that deep bluing that Colt has done occasionally it is beautiful. With Karl also doing the small parts in CCH I think this one looks better than some of the ones with blued small parts. Much like my neighbor with the SAA I am envious of the owner of this pistol, it is truly a heirloom waiting to passed down for generation. Of course like most heirlooms I have I would shoot the crap out of it also, a little wear on the blued parts would only enhance the look.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:30 am 

Thanks Nedly! And Yes there are plenty of people that don't appreciate it, its not my first choice for finishes, but I agree it is a very attractive surface treatment (finish?) It is not terribly hard, I should have taken better notes when discussing it with Doug's guys before I sent it, but IIRC they shoot for sub 50RC, I checked a couple spots with a file when it came back and got very little feedback difference between before to after. It felt a bit like filing a TIG weld to me, not that I was hogging on it but yeah. As far as thickness, I think Doug's shop shoots for as thin a scale as possible, on these decorative jobs, nowadays he will CCH a slide, has done barrels too. Today we test fire, and do our best not to scratch anything :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:47 am 

My recollection of the chemistry of CCH is that the more color, the less case and hard. And the more case and hard, the less color.

You could make it hard on the surface, and have that pretty deep, but the results would be a bare white steel that didn't have color. Yes,you could blue it, but what would be the point?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:22 pm 

That is spectacular. I really like how you opted to CCH the small parts as well, to me it is much more appealing than blued small parts on a CCH frame.