Visit us on facebook

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:42 pm 
Members

I just finished up another Vintage Custom Colt Series 70 Gov't in 9mm and it is headed back home to Colorado. I have to say, I am a .45 ACP guy at heart, but there aren't many pistols that shoot sweeter than an all steel, 5" 1911 in 9mm.
I have been blessed with some great customers who love classically styled, custom 1911 pistols and this one is no exception. He had a few specific needs for this build but he gave me quite a bit of latitude to influence the theme of the build with my "vintage" styling that I like so much. While we were spec'ing out the parts list, I contacted Bar-Sto and had them build me a gunsmith fit, match grade 9mm barrel with my "J. Timmons & Sons" rollmarks on the hood and "Calibre 9mm" marking just below. Both were marked in a nice old English style font that I believe adds just a touch more class to the package. The frame was welded up and remachined for a match grade fit to the trued slide. This particular series 70 was made at a time in Colt history when the lines of their guns weren't necessarily "straight". So, before we got too far into the build, quite a bit of time was spent with files straitening out crooked lines, putting "flow" into the radius' and filing out some pitting. Every part inside the pistol was replaced with the highest quality, match grade action part. On the outside, we used an EGW slide stop, a customized Harrison beavertail, an SDM 14K gold bead front sight and a customized Heinie rear sight. As far as aesthetic machining goes, I serrated the front strap, machined ball cuts into the front of the slide, cut an interrupted bottom bevel, added a French border, cut a top of slide arrow pattern and serrated the rear of the slide to match the serrations on the Heinie sight. Every edge and corner of the pistol, inside and out, is addressed with an appropriate bevel and chamfer. After the heavy lifting was done and the pistol was thoroughly tested for flawless function and match grade accuracy, the final polish process is started. This process is carried out with files, grit paper and a magnifying class. Every square inch of the pistol is hand polished from top to bottom to a 1,000 grit polish. After the pistol is polished and thoroughly examined, the polished metal is burnished, which is what gives the metal the vintage, "satiny glow" after it is blued. I make handmade grips for every Vintage Custom pistol out of the nicest exhibition grade walnut. Each grip is carefully made and fit to the lines and contours of each individual pistol for a custom fit. The grips are made as early in the process as possible so that the lengthy, hand rubbed London oil finishing process can be started. There are easier and faster ways to finish wood, but I don't think that there is any finish that can match the beauty and elegance of a hand rubbed oil finish on a nice piece of high grade walnut.
Please enjoy the photographs. Also, please excuse the small amounts of dust and oil on the pistol that is never there when I take the pictures but seems to magically appear. Thank you, JT

www.jttimmonscustom1911pistols.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:50 am 

Sweet looking pistol...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26 pm 
Members

I like that a lot.

Merry Christmas to that guy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:35 pm 

REALLY NICE WORK !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:20 pm 

Fabulous gun!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 pm 
Members

That is magnificent.

A work of art.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 am 

Looks great JT... :shock: Just cost me a bunch of money.. We will have to talk about one of these builds very soon. :mrgreen: