Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A little Hi Power-ness
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:04 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Fixing the four things that suck about almost every BHP safety. This one was the worst ever. Although the gun is great mechanically, the old girl has probably never had a thorough cleaning and there was lots of sludge-induced gumminess.

This is one of the surplus ones currently available from AIM Surplus, very reasonably priced (but I don't remember how much).

The task—make the safety bigger. I have not yet seen the aftermarket one that I like; anyway I love doing a little silver brazing. I have made the piece from scratch in the past but this time I thought I’d graft on something from the BHP’s older brother:

I determined I would do this hacksaw, file and torch style, no fancy machining.

A groove has been filed into the old safety to help locate and lug-in the new paddle. A silver joint is super strong but it’s always nice to have some added features to increase the soldered area and give positive location to the piece to be added, because “holding it in place while you heat it” rarely works well. This pic also illustrates one of the “four things”…..

Just prior to getting the torch out, trying to figure out how to fixture it all up…. when you have odd shapes that you can't just clamp together, sometimes it's hard to come up with a way to hold things in place. I have a high pain threshold but holding it with fingertips ain’t gonna work for me….

I put a small toolmaker’s clamp onto the paddle that my hold-down could rest on. Bit of a balancing act but it worked well.

The finished product. Not suitable for a magazine cover but neither is the rest of the gun, this was a utility enhancement, not a custom build….. now the safety is util y positivo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:16 pm 

Wow, always fun to see a master problem solver's work...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Great work Ned. Now when someone wonders why it cost so much for a hand made gun and it takes so long to finish one, you have a perfect example of why. Check out the detail you see in some of these parts and what the one man shops do. Thanks Ned

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:14 am 

That's cool Ned!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:20 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Thanks..... and it's still fun.

This one now has a safety that can be "found". Detents before were non existent, it was "mmmushhh" now it's on I guess, and "mmusshhh" I think it's off now. Now it has positive up and down positions. Part of the typical mush is due to the safety shaft being the hammer pin; the tremendous down-bias on that shaft by the hammer spring makes it hard to get clear safety efforts...the detent feel is often lost in the general dragginess. Getting more leverage over and above the old original lever format helps reduce the apparent drag; then detent efforts can be adjusted to the point where they can be perceived distinctly from the drag.

One of the other things that goes wrong with these is the more recent two-piece construction. A clever bit of manufacturing expedience I must say, but of the BHP's I've worked on that had this style of safety, more than half were loose. So I separate them, clean them up, and silver-braze them together.

I have a design for the ultimate BHP safety that fixes all this but-- just too much else going on, maybe some day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Another little ergo improvement, silver to the rescue, coincidentally involving another Belgian:

An AR15 bayonet lug, sawed from the front sight base, starts its new life…...

The issue: mag changes with a FAL rifle are slow due to being somewhat limited to doing it all with one hand—remove the old, retrieve the new, lock it in. If you’re a lefty you may be at an advantage as you can use your left index finger to actuate the magazine release while your right is going for the next magazine. But if you’re a righty, your right index finger can do nothing but “wait”…..
Unless……
We silver-braze the aforementioned piece of bayo lug to the FAL mag release….

…shape it and checker it. Now the right index finger can contribute something while the left hand is going for a fresh magazine:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:03 pm 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
...I put a small toolmaker’s clamp onto the paddle that my hold-down could rest on. Bit of a balancing act but it worked well.
Image...

So, does the front sight you milled into the hold down help with alignment? :lol:

The FAL is my favorite battle rifle. The one we should have adopted. I've built about a dozen or so and find them to be a great piece of engineering.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:47 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Does kinda look like a front sight, doesn't it? Just part of the hold-down system I've some up with for silver jobs.

Yeah the FAL is cool. Darned long though and I'll bet in armies where they were issued, a lot of them got bent barrels..... so long and skinny.

This Hi-Power, I was wishing it was more accurate. I have a length of 9mm barrel cut from an unfired Colt 9mm carbine...... wish I had time to sleeve that into this Browning but.... nope.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:21 am 

That BHP is mine. Snagged it when the price on imports was just too low to ignore.

The trigger is pretty nice for an un-modified factory set, so i handed it off to Ned for a set of Novaks and "what can you do about the safety?" work.

I've got a bin of extra BHP barrels on hand, so I can swap them in and out until I find one that comes closer to Ned's idea of accurate.