Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:53 pm 

I'd love to share some photos of a very special pistol Mr. Bruce Gray was kind enough to build for my father. A pistol made to be used. My photos unfortunately do little justice to the art and execution which is both meticulous and elegant. (Smudges, evident only on review of the photos, are residual RIG grease). The pistol is now quite a few years old yet feels as tight and perfect as ever.

My Dad survived the concentration camps, fought several wars and worked much too hard for the rest of his life. As a result my life has been easy, safe and full of love and support.

I had hoped to honor my father with a custom build that he would be able to shoot in his last years. Time had taken its toll on his body but he preferred a .45 calibre over another, familiarity perhaps. A series 80 Colt platform was chosen in accordance to state restrictions.

Bruce created an magnificently well balanced pistol that is absolutely stunning to both handle and review. It seems to effortlessly rest in hand, the slide glides as on ice, the trigger brakes with tactical precision. A fibreoptic front sight and lengthened sight plane designed to aid the mature sight picture.

The bluing has brilliant depth yet does not distract, the nitrebluing complements and charms. The checkering refined and precise, both easy and comforting to hold.

No sharp edges anywhere (Dad was on blood thinners) yet contours and defined lines remain unblunted.

The magwell perfectly welded and integrated affording a measure of confidence to both grip and load.

So many fine features and logistic considerations are incorporated such as the brilliant hardtail grip safety conversion, the slightly enlarged yet tasteful slide stop lever and magazine release to facilitate use. Tbe thumb safety carefully sculpted clicks reassuringly with engagement.

Takedown effort is enabled by the use of a hex key.

On acceptance of the pistol all screws were perfectly indexed/aligned

My father literally trembled with anticipation and awe on recieving the pistol. I am forever grateful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:16 pm 

A great looking pistol--I can understand why your dad likes it. My father also was very partial to 1911-45's, his favorite being a military surplus one (WW1 frame and US&S WW2 slide) that he got about 1958 which was very well worn but 100% reliable. There is just something mystical about these particular pistols.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:44 pm 

thanks....it really is special for us. I'll have to take new photos with a better camera, these photos look so washed out

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:01 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Truly, truly precious and rare.

Not the pistol. The pistol is great but the most inspiring thing is the father/son relationship and the father's accomplishments. Great post sir.

I have admired Bruce's experience, reputation, and abilities for a long time. Awesome choice for an awesome Dad!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm 

thank you.....i miss him terribly.

my cell phone skills unfortunately did little justice to Bruce Gray's mastery and skill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Missing a father-- it's just the way it was meant to be. We suffer the loss of our parents so they don't have to suffer the loss of their child.

My old man had little interest in 1911's although he had one on order from not sure, DCM I think, for $17 in 1963 (I think). That all stopped after the JFK assassination and he never got it. Dad was a gun guy but when I was a child, he had a disdain for military-style guns. Right after I turned 18, Mom found my 1911 and Mauser HsC and Dad asked why I would want that kind of gun. He wasn't amused when I recalled to him the fact that he had ordered a 1911 at one time!

But he got over my interest in "fighting" guns eventually, and as I started doing the work on them he came to appreciate and enjoy what I was doing.

Your pics of the Grey gun are just fine, it's a great heirloom.