Anyone reading this who is on my waiting list, apologies. You got moved back the better part of a week for a personal project…… making my new pin gun a little faster. It’s the first 1911 I have bought for myself in I don’t know how long— ten, fifteen years. More, probably. It is an amazing bit of 1911 industrial art by my friends at Guncrafter Industries. GI guns are like, everybody’s crazy about silver and here you can get gold for the same, or less, money. As you might guess I am not easily impressed by 1911’s in general. GI is in my mind, by far, the best value out there. Alex Zimmermann at GI is the current reigning 1911 genius in the world, in my book.
It’s in .50 GI caliber. I’ve never comped a .50 before and not sure but this could well be the first one to get a comp. I decided from the start I would go BIG on it since the .50 GI is not a high-speed, high intensity round, so it probably would not tend to benefit from a compensator as much as, say, 38 Super major. So—big gives more area for the escaping gasses to work against. But, big means heavy, in this case way too heavy for fast shooting and heavy enough to impede function, so I made it from aluminum. Will it hold up? Yes. Will it erode faster? Yes, but I’ve done them in aluminum before and it’s really not a concern if you’re not shooting 1000 rounds a week.
I asked Alex to fit a second barrel to it, so it will have this 6” and a 5”. I’m shooting 255 SWC’s at about 850. I can go to 900 and beyond but of course there’s a speed penalty and this 216 power factor whacks a pin just fine.
Start with a block of 7075 aluminum, about 2X2X4….
Ports going in. I’m just making this up as a I go here.
To the lathe. Here I have put the nose radius on. This radial sweep has been a signature characteristic on pretty much all of my compensators.
Some additional exterior sculpting, then, some side ports at 45 degrees. This comp is a little different in that the main ports go way deep. These side ports then, just ¼” holes, vent from the bottom of the main ports, upward. Note that the main ports go all the way through but if you’ll bear with me you’ll see that they will get closed back up……
This floor plate, “T”-slotted into the bottom, will close the ports at the bottom. “I just felt like doing it this way”.
Halelujah, the floorplate fits! I got lucky and it dropped in with just a teeny bit of handwork—it fits like a well-done slide to frame fit. Totally unnecessary but I’ll take it. Needs trimming to match the comp body so—back to the lathe.
And, trimmed to match the body. And, a mistake shows itself—you’ll have that when you’re just working to a mental picture. My rear screw head is going to overhang…. Unsightly, so, I have counterbored it a bit since this pic.
The comp is a shrink-fit on the 6” barrel’s OD. Here I’m making sure it’s on good and straight before I cross-pin it. Yes I could have threaded it on but this was fast and I am in a hurry to get something serviceable for myself. Threading it on it has to be timed just right, etc.
More as I get it, stay tuned……