Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LTW #4, comin' right up
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:23 am 
Board Member
Board Member

The ball is rolling on LTW#4, as of Saturday at the SHOT Show, when Ted and I went to see Brian Sain of American Snipers ( americansnipers.org ). These guys are a non-profit who live for making sure that deployed snipers get what they need to do their job, and stay healthy, happy, and alive . Some of them really are "kids" if you consider only their age. It's real, and it's needed-- there are some unbelievable stories about how these guys have to improvise and scrounge for gear. It's time LTW did something directly to help the people guarding the gates. Whatever one's sentiments on the GWOT, helping these guys do their job and come home safely can only be be described as "doing the right thing". LTW is proud and anxious to help.

It's gonna be quite a package, with a sniper theme. The package will look something like this:

A 1911 with rail, put together for hard knocks, by at least five of the LTW 'smiths
Surefire light and spares
Leupold binocs or Leica binoc/Laser rangefinder
Custom leather from Alex Nossar of Peru
Safariland 6004 holster
Soft case
Hard case
Maint. kit
Spares
Decommissioned flag(s)
Ammo
Class or classes
....more as I think of it.
(Edited to add:) Knife! Knife! How could I forget, a high-end knife.
We're working with Brian Sain, founder of americansnipers.org. His outfit will handle the actual raffle, and the winner will as usual be picked next SHOT Show. Tickets will be $10, and even if we meet our goal of doubling this year's take, that means only 3600 tickets sold, dem's pretty good odds compared to something like the Lotto.

Right now we're in the "gathering of the stuff" phase. I believe we have all the bases pretty well covered already. I know a lot of LTWisti will want to help any way they can-- which is greatly appreciated, of course. In fact, the copious vault at LTW World Headquarters (at our secret arctic fortress 8) ) is already chock-full of donated items. We have industy people champing at the bit to contribute..... so, what I'm saying is, if you should have a part or parts, or a service to offer, please don't stress if it's something we already have covered. We appreciate offers of support as much as support!

The very minute the raffle is set up with AS.org, we'll be posting here in bright neon. I don't think this is too far off, but I'm checking into the possibility of, in the meantime, taking "pledges", basically creating a waiting list for tickets. Raffles are a tricky thing and there are legal issues to be considered.

Spread the word, let's make it big!

Last edited by Ned Christiansen on Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:45 am 
Members

I just hope and pray it will be California qualified. I'd really like the chance to win...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:48 pm 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Sounds like another winner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:24 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Thanks for the reminder, Cypher-- we'll do our best. Based on what I think I know about that whole thing, I think we're good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:36 pm 

You guys just keep raising the bar! Amazing! I feel priveledged to just be allowed on here.

Shootrite Prvt Inst HG, NRA Life Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:44 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Now you stop that right now, GF45 :) . We could do all kinds of stuff but if nobody buys tickets, it's all for naught. Joe Ticketbuyer makes it happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:21 pm 
Members

yah but tickets are cheap, and well worth it, both for the chance to win an amazing weapon, and knowing that the proceeds are going for a good cause.

Ill definitly go to shot next year to be in on this, Im all for anything that helps a fellow sniper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:22 am 
Board Member
Board Member

We'll be lookin' for ya there, Bolt.

In my original post, I left out "knife".... have gone back to edit in this critical piece of the package.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:50 am 
Members

Ned Christiansen wrote:
I'm checking into the possibility of, in the meantime, taking "pledges", basically creating a waiting list for tickets.

I am waiting for the waiting list!!!! Whatever you call it, Ned - pledge, commitment, promise to participate - I'm hoping to get my tickets early and get my tickets often :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:06 am 

Like Hillary said....."I'm In" LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:13 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Just read this elsewhere and it fits: not Hillary, "Hitlary" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:31 am 

OK guys...enough of the Billery stuff! I come here to relax and enjoy myself....and every time I hear that name, I experience severe shrinkage and disgust! :x
I have an idea for the LTW#5 when it comes up...bound to bring in tons of money! Let's all get together and "purchase" an escape package for one of our LTW brothers to get out of the People's Republic of Kalifornia...all moving expenses paid for...call it the "LTW Ticket to Freedom" package or something!! :lol: It's bound to be a huge hit!

Post subject: Nice
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:18 pm 

Lotto odds? Heck, that puts to shame the lotto odds. I am in as soon as the raffle opens and will post the information at work as well.

Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:32 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Remember, this package will very much have a sniper theme. Using some of the vast amount of military sniper knowledge available to us through the American Snipers network, we will as much as possible, build it to be an ideal sniper's sidearm.

Given that context, this 1911 has a name. An alphanumeric version of this name will be engraved on it discreetly somewhere, or we may wind up using it as a custom serial number-- I should know in a week or so. It is:

4TC1s

Actually there should be an apostrophe in there: 4TC1's, but I'm thinking it looks better without and anyway you can't have 'em in a serial number.

For three tickets, at no charge....... what does it stand for?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:14 pm 
Members

Ned,

As much as I'd like the prize to be California qualified, I just checked the American Snipers dot Org web site and was duly impressed. I'll buy tickets even if I don't have a chance of winning.

Good Cause...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:46 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Its goning to be sweet; I'm on the list to get tickets.

When we get something definitive, I'll spread the word on some sniper-related tactical shooting site that I've been known to frequent. :)

JeffVN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:50 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Ned Christiansen wrote:
4TC1s
For three tickets, at no charge....... what does it stand for?

Here's my "shot":
TC is a lot of things- Training Circular, or, Target Interdiction Course, or "just": a sniper...Which is a "Type Class" of soldier (Type Class One/TC-1).
Many sniper training manuals are TCs- i.e.: TC23-14 is the general "Sniper Training & Deployment"; TC23-11 is on the Starlight scope; TC23-18 is Night Observation, etc.
TC1 is used like "GI" was in WWII.

(a guess)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 am 
Members

So....this raffle would be for TC1's.....4TC1's. Right?
Just clarifying Barry's guess. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Holy smokes. Those answers are better than the truth!

...but that's not it.

I'm gonna let this go another day or two and see what else we get. I'll sprinkle in a hint or two as needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:45 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

If you don't know, keep pouring on the info, whether it's pertinent or not. That was my approach. I wasn't about to let three free tickets go by without some kind of attempt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:47 pm 
Members

OK, here goes...
TC could mean Top o' the Class
1's could be Aces or singles (as in I shot; 1 kill)

For Top Class Single shot shooters....er

Guess #2:
FortyC1's C= Roman 100
101st Airborn Div has 40 snipers in their t.o.e.

i dont KNOW!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:18 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

You guys are doing great--coming up with some very unexpected stuff. I'm starting to think this woulda been a great way to name it-- throw out some random thing and pick the best guess. I'm just not good at premeditated deviousness..... need more practice!

I spent several weeks in Romania 11 years ago. During my stay there I saw many interesting things-- Vlad Tepes' castle (AKA Count Dracula), I stayed at a Transylvanian hotel (in Sinia) where just weeks before, a former Special Forces Captain (US) had seen a ghost in his room and would not go back to it (I found a swastika in one room on the inside of the balcony, leading me to believe the place had been a Nazi HQ during the war)..... and, maybe 1/2 mile from that hotel, the former royal palace with a fantastic arms room. I was closely examining a peculiar sword-- it didn't really seem to be either a tool or a weapon. The blade was thick, maybe 5/8", and it did not terminate in a point, but rather was blunt like a big cleaver. Just forward of the hilt was an inscription, which my Romanian friend translated for me:
"After this day, no more worries". Indeed it was a cleaver-- the headsman's cleaver.

That's not really a hint, but kinda illustrates the frame of mind here, the tradition behind naming a special weapon or describing it's purpose, attaching to it some kind of personna. Those of you who are or have been readers of sword-and-sorcery novels are well acquainted with the blades of epic warriors and the mystical names given them.

4TC1s

The sniper-- he uses skill, determination, a steady hand, and big brass ones to dispense fear and confusion from a distance.... oh yeah, and a precision rifle. And yet he may need to resort to something like-- oh, I dunno-- a 1911, if that distance is unexpectedly shortened-up on him.

Dat dere's a hint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:47 pm 

"For The Close Ones" :D

CHECK OUT MY CUSTOM 1911 BLOG
http://thearsenalofdemocracy.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:51 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Now that's just plain crazy. Where on earth did.......

:!:We have a winner!:!:

Three free raffle tickets to the man whose initials mean "aluminum" on the periodic table! Good going Anthony, or was my hint too good?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:54 pm 

your hint helped 8)

CHECK OUT MY CUSTOM 1911 BLOG
http://thearsenalofdemocracy.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:28 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

OK, obviously in my enthusiasm I made it too easy and I hereby retract the three-free-ticket deal. Anthony, if you want any tickets for this package they'll cost you double :lol:

I've been remiss in not telling who's doing what. This is not chiseled in ordinance steel yet, and not necessarily in sequential order, but:

Stan Chen: fit frame, slide, barrel, and (Legacy Custom) mainspring housing. Magwell.

Chuck Rogers: Golfballs front and rear..... probably the best thing for sand and mud. Also for Chuck, sandcuts and a down stop for an ambi safety (pistol to be fitted with both an ambi and single-side safety).

Don Williams: Fit hammer, trigger, sear; action job. Fit mag release. Fit firing pin stop, fit and tune extractors.

Ned: Fit sights (YoBos to Shield Driver specs), fit and TIG plunger tube, texture slide rear with extractors.

Yost/Bonitz: Etch LTW logo and maybe other stuff (4TC1s), fit safeties, dehorn. Since YoBo is also involved with #5 (and generally spends plenty of off-hours keeping the LTW machine running), these tasks might get spread around.

Steve Bailey: pics, write up on the site, yadda ya. I'd love to see some sort of in situ pic with a knocked-around M40 sniper rifle, I mean sand, scrub, rocks and stuff....

John Harrison and C.T. Brian, tasks TBD, depending upon involvement with #5 and other factors.

Folks, we're going to have a lot of corporate contributors to acknowledge on this one. It's still a little early to start tossing names out too liberally, but we are happy to say that we have commitments from:
-Wilson Combat for a "short block" (frame and slide and probably a few other items). Their new frames are possibly the best thing out there right now for a frame/slide buildup-- I've examined a few recently and they are very clean and precise;
(edited 4/6/07, this has been changed to a Springfield Armory base gun).
-Brownells for "anything you need". That pretty much says it all about this outfit..... the very best of folks;
-Nossar Gunleather for a custom rig: holster, mag pouch/light holder, and soft case;
-BarSto for a barrel;
-Strike Tactical for some shooting classes. "Some shooting classes" is a big understatement actually. I contacted Henk (yes, I spelled it right, it's Henk) Iverson about maybe getting a coupon towards his Level 1 class, and he responded: absolutely. Shortly thereafter he contacted me again, to withdraw his offer and in its place, he gave us his entire range of classes, that's six levels ($990 worth). Henk is recently from South Africa; short version, you don't walk away from SA with 23-plus years of police/military/anti-terrorist experience unless you're good at it. I mean, the mean streets of SA are truly mean, and the odds are not good for making it that long. I've gotten to know Henk a bit in the last year and he's got some real good stuff to impart to any and all of us, regardless of one's level of expertise. The SA slant on things puts different level of urgency into close-in gunfighting. Due to certain agreements, his offer can only be redeemed by military or sworn law enforcement officers.

As more commitments come in we'll be posting them.

Last edited by Ned Christiansen on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:29 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Sounds even beautiful-er.

For The Close Ones, ooh that's clever!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:39 am 
Members

Looks like this one will be another awesome build!

That acronym is perfect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:04 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Just got a commitment for a hard case from
Starlight Cases ( http://www.starlightcases.com )

Some sites for the above mentioned industry supporters:
http://www.wilsoncombat.com
http://www.nossargunleather.com
http://www.barsto.com
http://www.striketactical.com
http://www.brownells.com

And-- just got a commitment for a knife from Chris Reeve Knives. I had asked the snipers what would be considerd the hot ticket in their world and this was what they suggested....check this one out:
http://www.chrisreeve.com/greenberet.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 am 

Fantastic all the way around! Hat's off to all involved.