Visit us on facebook

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm 

I'm cross-eye dominant and am wondering if a red dot sight would be a good option for keeping both eyes open (I have to squint or close one eye now)? This would be for a Rem 1100 tactical with 22" barrel (which allows for a picatinny rail to be installed on receiver).

Good idea or bad? Will red dot sight get in the way or reloading?

I know of Eotech, but those are pretty huge, but ARE rugged. Any suggestion for one that would work on a tactical shotty but is more compact? I've seen a Burris FastFire that looks like it may work without rail!
http://www.cgwgun.com/Red-Dot-Sights/Bu ... 00248.aspx

Any others? Pix?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:58 pm 

Hoser...have you considered the EOTech holosight? Here is a link to one offered by Optics Planet that one of my firearms instructor buddies had on his 1100. Worked very well and is not too large..he was a vet of many armed encounters and loved this rig...I don't think I can say any more than that. Best of luck--John

http://www.opticsplanet.net/eotech-holo ... apons.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 am 

I put an Eotech on my Benelli Practical. I sits wayyyyy too high get a good cheek weld even with a big pad strapped to the stock. If I get back into 3 gun I will look at a J-Point type sight mounted as low as possible. I may have to have the receiver milled

The nice thing about your 1100 is the ventilated rib barrel. A small dot sight, J-Point, Docter, Aimpoint etc... will mount to the rib. I've seen plenty of guys running 1100s that way for 3 gun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:58 pm 

Hoser
I am "Curse-Eye Dominant" and the Aimpoint has changed my life for Tac Rifles and Shotguns. I have tried the Eotech sights and they do NOT work for me and I still get the double image or no reticle, etc. The Trijicon Reflex works OK, but the Aimpoint works perfectly for cross eye dominance. I'm not dissing the Eotechs, but for some reason they do not solve the cross eye dominance issue "for me" the way the Aimpoint does. I am planning on having the new Aimpoint Micro T1 put on an 870 and a Win Super X-1. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:30 pm 

How do the C-More sights work?

I'll look into the Aimpoint Micro T1 as well. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:17 am 
Members

This answer will come in 2 parts, as I have not a lot of idea what you desire in gear, and this is of course simply my opinion, Im sure there are plenty of guys here with moer experience than I.

That said...

The best thing out there right now IMO for any close range weapon (shotgun, SBR, ect) is the Aimpoint M1 micro. its small, well built, can take a beating, and has a battery life from hell. It also costs 5-700 bucks depending on where ya get it and what you get with it.

Eotechs can be had a bit cheaper, but they are larger, not quite as durable, and have much much less battery life. That said, I still like them, they are good optics, but they are not great optics.

If you are just going to use this is a "gaming" gun, then I dont see a reason not to use a cmore. For that use, they are about the best thing going. But for any sort of serious use, they just dont stand up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:17 pm 

Bolt Overide is spot on IMHO. I have a C-More and use it for something non-shooting related, but had one on an FN-TPS for awhile. The problem for me was the battery issue 2 fold. A) Very short battery life and B) very difficult to replace batteries making it not good for defense, but great for competition or for a doorkicker who replaces the batteries just prior to each raid.

Post subject: Aimpoint M1 micro
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:46 pm 

Can the Aimpoint M1 or H1 micro work with existing ghost ring shotgun sights or flip up AR15 sights or do they need to be removed prior to use with irons?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:09 pm 
Members

All you need is a picatinny rail on the receiver and your g2g, any compitent smith can do that in fairly short order if it doesnt already have one. As far as if the sights will cowitness, depends on their height. On an AK for example, the m1 with no riser, will cowitness bottem 1/3, but just barely.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:12 pm 

Bolt_Overide wrote:
All you need is a picatinny rail on the receiver and your g2g, any compitent smith can do that in fairly short order if it doesnt already have one. As far as if the sights will cowitness, depends on their height. On an AK for example, the m1 with no riser, will cowitness bottem 1/3, but just barely.

Well one gun is the FN SLP shottie:
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firea ... id=FNM0018

The other is an AR15 M4 with flat top rail.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:22 pm 
Members

You should have 0 co-witnessing issues with a t1 or m1 on that setup.