Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:06 am 

Hi
I have wanted to add a S&W Model of 1891 Single shot Pistol to my existing collection for awhile now, but due to Their Rarity and Price when you do find a Nice one, I wasn't able until Recently to Locate one. I found the One shown at Cabellas of Reno, Nevada Last weekend Via the Internet. It was apparent Cabellas had no clue what they had here as it's price was $599.00 and these Typically run in Excess of $1300.00 in this shape with a 10" Barrel, and this one is Rare due to the short 6" Barrel on it as most shipped with a 10" Barrel's so that would Indeed Push the Price of them up to around $2000.00-$2500.00 if you could find one. I Purchased it less than 24 Hours after they Listed it, and was very skeptical of what I would be getting until it was in my hand for a close inspection. The barrel was my Main concern as I have seen Many with Cut Barrel's, but when this one showed up, I was Pleased to see it was in great original shape unaltered. This one shipped February 1904 and is in Good shape for 106 Year old Gun This Month...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:06 pm 
Members

Nice gun I guess, but it is definitely chopped, not factory.

The profile of the front sight ramp/blade is the first and most obvious clue (if S&W ever made anything quite like that, they certainly did not do so during the period this model was produced).

The second, more subtle clue appears at left in the second pic: The front sight ramp/blade appears to be not only pinned to the rib, but also affixed to it by some sort of solder or adhesive. Whatever the case, the work is amateurish (and most certainly not factory).

Sorry, but there it is...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:54 pm 

ArtCrafter wrote:
Nice gun I guess, but it is definitely chopped, not factory.

The profile of the front sight ramp/blade is the first and most obvious clue (if S&W ever made anything quite like that, they certainly did not do so during the period this model was produced).

The second, more subtle clue appears at left in the second pic: The front sight ramp/blade appears to be not only pinned to the rib, but also affixed to it by some sort of solder or adhesive. Whatever the case, the work is amateurish (and most certainly not factory).

Sorry, but there it is...

Hello
Sorry but You are Wrong, it is not chopped the barrel is a True Rare 6" Barrel. The sight is an added one but they used the same pin to affix it, No Solder on this Gun, The sight Base is Lying flat on the top of the barrel Rib. I will Place the right sight blade when I Locate one. Do you own one ? if so let's see it here as you don't see these often anymore. I have seen several of these with Modified sights as shooters back then were always trying something new for an edge, so sight changes were very common, and since the barrel hole was not Molested a simple Sight change makes it correct again. There were several manufacturers of the sights for these when they were made as Lyman, Marbles and King in many different types of beads from Gold to Ivory or just a plain Patridge Under cut style...

Last edited by Kurt Vogler on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:38 am 

Hello
I got these 5 extra Barrels for my single shot Pistol Yesterday from a friend. He is the one responsible for me finding and getting the single shot pistol shown. The top one is an Olympic Chambered .22 L.R. 10" Barrel in The White. The following one is a 8" .32 S&W caliber barrel. The next one is a 6" .32 S&W Long Caliber Barrel. The one after that is a 6" .38 S&W caliber barrel and the last one is an 8" .38 S&W Caliber barrel in The White. I am now going to locate the rest of the part's to make all of these barrels useable...Kurt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Very cool Kurt... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:59 am 

Jason Burton wrote:
Very cool Kurt... :wink:

Hello Jason
Thank you. I will be sending off the Upper top Barrel in the white that is a Special Olympic chambered barrel to have it finished and made complete to fire on this Pistol. I am told they will make one hole at 25 Yards with .22 L.R. Ammo. I will also be sending off the second Barrel that is 8" Long and in .32 S&W caliber to have that made complete for my Pistol frame as well...Regards, Kurt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:52 am 
Members

Awesome find, Kurt!

-Matt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:46 am 

MattTheHat wrote:
Awesome find, Kurt!

-Matt

Hello Matt
Thanks I recently Learned there is a Certain Mystery about this Pistol. It is clearly a second series Pistol with it's Missing recoil shield, Non Machined cylinder hand slot, and missing cylinder stop slot in the bottom of the frame, But it has a First series serial number on it. I have been told it was more than Likely a Proto-Type Pistol as the second series was not Born until 1906 and this one shipped This Month Being February 1904 Two full Years before the Model even came to Be 106 Years Ago ! I will be applying for a Factory History letter to find out who it went to and why it is Two Years before it's release of this series..Another thing here that is very Interesting is that the Barrel shows to be a first series barrel due to the rounded Bottom portion, but it lacks any serial number on it. They did sell extra Barrels for these but most were serial numbered, and the rear sight blade has a serial number, But Oddly it is a Little earlier than the Guns Main Frame serial number. Many things surround this Pistol that are Just not Normal in Nature, so a Factory letter should reveal Why on all this, But another Problem is a Factory Flood back then ruined much of the Information about these guns so I am Hoping I don't hit a dead end on this, trying to find out how it came to be..Here are some close ups of the features that would make it a second series Pistol along with it's Partial serial number clearly Indicating it Should be a first series edition pistol...Kurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Very interesting. I am suprised that I have never seen nor heard of this model.

Is it possible that they made these out of top-break revolver frames that had had some sort of booboo done in production?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:12 am 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
Very interesting. I am suprised that I have never seen nor heard of this model.

Is it possible that they made these out of top-break revolver frames that had had some sort of booboo done in production?

Hello Ned
They came from The .38 single action Forth variation revolvers. The First series had everything a .38 revolver had Minus the cylinder. To Promote gun sales one could order or have the .38 revolver, Then simply Buy single shot barrels, Pull The cylinder and drop on the barrel and you would have a single shot Pistol in calibers .22, .32 S&W and .38 S&W. In The second series like shown they left off the cylinder hand slot, and the cylinder stop notch in the lower frame area. They also did not include the internal action parts of a cylinder hand, nor the cylinder stop. If this Gun was ordered as a First series single shot you got The hand that extended and did nothing for the single shot when you cocked it, and the cylinder stop was present but did not have a spring to protrude it in the upper Position. The second series like mine only had a Trigger, Hammer and main spring for internals and they were a Lot smoother in action without all the extra Internal parts that the first series gun had...Kurt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:22 am 

Hello
I got back the Two barrel's I wanted to keep being the 8" .32 S&W caliber barrel and the very Rare .22 LR Olympic chamber barrels in exchange for the other Three barrels that I sent David Chicoine in this Barter pistol project. He Massaged them taking them to a state of finish bluing and completed them placing the front sight blades, Rear barrel Latch assemblies and adjustable sights, along with installing the Extractor Cam's in them for me and fitting them both to my frame. I now have the Three barrel set for this single shot pistol and have recently shot the .22 LR Caliber Olympic chamber barrel shown on the gun below. I was very Impressed with the one ragged hole results shot at the 20 yard line out of it, shooting a five shot group But these are the barrel's that took the Olympic Gold event's back in the early 1900's. I can't be sure just how many of these Rare Olympic chamber barrels were built, But I have seen only a couple of other's in my travels before locating this one...