Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:56 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I'm pretty excited about a new spur hammer configuration that I will have available in the near future. Now a bobbed spur hammer isn't exactly the latest breaking news, but a factory produced bobbed hammer is pretty cutting edge stuff. Now that I've said that, I know someone will tell me about them being available from so and so back in the day.

The Retro hammer's spur is bobbed and undercut in the radius underneath the spur to create a hammer that will be bite-free to the great majority of shooters. Manufactured from premium grade tool steel to provide precise fit and reliable, consistent function under the most demanding conditions. Each part is wire EDM'd and CNC machined for a precise +/- .0005" tolerance then heat treated to Rc 53 - 56, then honed and mirror polished to give Extreme Service in your pistol. The hammers are slightly narrowed to avoid unwanted contact with the slide or ejector. The hammers have deep serrations to help you keep the hammer under control and all exterior corners are CNC machine beveled to minimize snagging and abrasion. The sear is shaped to minimize excess material, reducing weight. The sear nose features a polished primary angle and breakaway angle. Fully polished surfaces mean smooth operation in the points of contact between the disconnector, sear and hammer. While I don't care to use the term "drop-in" and all that it implies, many folks use these parts that way with satisfactory results as contact surfaces are pre-prepped.

The hammer illustrated is a pre-production sample that was not machine beveled. Therefore, I have hand beveled it. All production hammers will be machine beveled. The Retro hammer will be available as an ignition set with my sear and disconnector as well as by itself. Keep an eye on my store for the release for sale.

Now for a look-

A comparison between the Retro hammer and the standard spur hammer.

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:51 am 

Looks wunderbar! :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:59 am 
Members

I can think of a few uses for that one :D

Albuquerque, NM
505-877-5357

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:02 am 

I can think of a few uses for that one, as well.

With the Retro Sight and the Retro Hammer, what we need now is a Retro Grip Safety - a conventional commercial Colt or Series 70 style spur grip safety, already chamfered or dehorned enough that it can be used with this Retro Hammer without getting hammer-bite OR blisters from the sharp grip-safety edges.

I never really had problems with the G.I. grip safety during bullseye shooting, but major problems with blisters from it when working on presentations from the leather. The dehorned grip safeties on my origninal-style Gunsite Service Pistols solved that (and they have the equivalent of Retro Sights and Retro Hammers).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:45 am 

I second the call for a grip safety like that (having had John Harrison do a retro grip safety for a gun).

I might add that either making the part inside the frame thicker, or putting small pads near the pivot hole to take up some of the sideways slop a factory grip safety has.

Of course, if someone would go to the trouble of getting a casting done, the small Hoag-style short but wider grip safety would be cool,,,, :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:28 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

While I don't know that I'm ready to produce a Retro grip safety, I am in full production of the Retro hammer and ignition set. The spur has been shortened just a touch more, so that it will now work with beavertails that have a hammer pocket and it also has a little heavier bevel on all the edges than the first run did. Available at http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/products ... n-set.aspx

The grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love and something to hope for.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:28 pm 

Here's my first stab at building a 1911 (9mm). It is a work still in progress, using a Caspian frame and slide. I used Mr. Harrison's retro sight, and fire control parts. I used some of Mr. Harrison's work as inspiration on this build. The parts are of a great quality!!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:24 pm 

Hey, I remember someone making them back in the day, except they didn't call them "retro", I believe they called them "new.".

Just kidding. Great idea, John.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:52 pm 

+1 on the retro grip safety. Not just because i'll ask for one when I get to the head of Mr. Harrison's line...

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:48 am 

Here's the finished product using Mr. Harrison's parts.