Visit us on facebook

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:43 am 

Hello from a new guy looking for suggestions

In trying to get some suggestions I'll post this elsewhere too, so that more people will see it.

Well the last straw just broke the camel's back. I'm tired of having a fully hard chromed gun with mismatched parts. Bead blasting s.s. parts doesn't do it

The final straw was the hook on my extractor just breaking off so it needs to be replaced. Also I need to replace a broken slide stop, some EGW fps, a factory Colt thumb safety, and an EGW ejector.

Does anyone know of someone that will just hard chrome parts. I'm not having any luck in my area of OR.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:57 am 
Members

Contact Chris Peters at Metaloy.

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:21 am 

Carrots wrote:
Contact Chris Peters at Metaloy.

http://www.originalmetaloy.com/

Wow ! Their prices for chroming parts seem kind of high. But I could be wrong. I don't know what goes into prepping each part.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:04 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I agree, best bet. He doesn't do polished and matted combos though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:33 pm 

Ned Christiansen wrote:
I agree, best bet. He doesn't do polished and matted combos though.

His pricing states :
"Metaloy Extra Ham., Thumb Safety, Slide Stop, Grip Safety, Magwell, etc. $20.00 each"

So if I have 8 parts done in matte finish, it will cost me $160.00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:42 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Yeah that doesn't sound right somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 am 

Well I have this frame that I was working on, and was going to have blued. But I could have it hard chromed instead if I decide to keep it and meet the minimum hard chrome price.
It was to be a dedicated lower for one of my Steel Challenge rimfire pistols.

Checkering the trigger guard was the last thing I had to do. And then the sink hole appeared
Manufacturer says they'll make good for the flaw with another frame. I sure hate to have to redo what I've done :x

Or I can give it to my wife. Just center the hole and epoxy her birth stone in it. :lol:

Yes I know the trigger guard checkering isn't straight. I used a flat piece laid against the guard edge to start my vertical lines. The edge wasn't straight. I didn't expect much from a $110.00 frame. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:21 pm 

I'd be tempted to just low-temp silver solder a tight-fitting plug in there, and checker it to match.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:35 pm 

Patrick Sweeney wrote:
I'd be tempted to just low-temp silver solder a tight-fitting plug in there, and checker it to match.

I posted this frame on another forum, looking for suggestions. Everyone was being helpful with suggestions. And then something unexpected happened. A well known pistolsmith posted to say that he's had things like this happen to him, and if I wanted to pay for shipping to and from him, he would repair the frame free of charge. I 've seen pictures of his repair for this kind of thing and it was as you wrote, a silver soldered plug.

I don't know if he'd appreciate me saying his name as much as I want to advertize his generosity. I think I've seen some of his work on this forum.
Well anyway the frame manufacturer got back to me and offered to replace the frame. They even offered to have their pistolsmith redo all the work that as done on the old frame.

Back on topic. I've spent the morning calling around for someone to chrome parts. Then I remembered a shop in PA.that hard chromed 2 complete pistols I customized back in the 80s. He's still in business, bless his heart. He will do parts for a $45.00 minimum, frames for $80.00, and the same for slides. His shop was doing work back then for shops like Behlert Precision and some others that I don't remember.

I've read that there's supposed to be some down side to how hard chrome is applied. As yet I haven't seen any, even after 29 yrs. of heavy use in competition. Just broken parts.

This is how they look today

Thanx for reading this, or you can wake up if I've put you to sleep,
John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:20 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

"All's well that ends well". Nice of the guy to fix it for you and BTW I don't think your checkering on the trigger guard looks so bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 am 

And the comp gun is right out of 1988. Cool, and still effective no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:02 pm 

Patrick Sweeney wrote:
And the comp gun is right out of 1988. Cool, and still effective no doubt.

You dated it just about right ( I think it was 1986). I did all the amateurish work on both lowers and checkered the rear of the slides and fitted the 5" Bar-sto barrels. Then I sent both Colt slides and one barrel out to Behlert Precision. They did all the machining and cut 1/2" off of one slide and installed their comp. This was when Bruce Gray worked there. When I got the slides back I sorta tightened both slides to both frames. Then I sent both pistols out for chroming. Behlerts were the people that recommended the Hard Chromer.
Other then many shinny / scuff marks the plating has held up.