ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Tue May 18, 2021 6:18 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:29 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

The latest comp for a .50 GI (Guncrafter Industries). I was hoping to contain this job within the weekend but I kinda had to take Monday too.
I met my target weight of “same weight as mine but without scalloping the barrel”.

The first one I made, somebody directed me to a blog somewhere where they posted pics and there were a few negative comments, my favorite being, “1911 people digging the stupid hole even deeper” :shock: . I’ll grantcha these are not for tactical ninja wetwork special ops but if you want to shoot bowling pins to relax after the secret mission, these work OK :mrgreen: .

I could polish these up and everything I suppose but... they're a tool with pretty much one purpose and... anyway I kinda don't mind the industrial look. Large radii are stepped on, not CNC'd. I could go finer on those, but that's a lot more time and, honestly, chances to grab a wrong number and mess something up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:42 pm 

Purpose driven design/construction. It do what it do the way it is supposed to do. If it is a success at that, then that is the only metric that has any weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:54 pm 

The Shooting Gallery episode from January 16 had the Pin Match. It was cool seeing you blast pins with that Monster Comp. Looked like a lot of Michiguns were being used at that match

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:23 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

John, welcome back--! Have tried to reach you a few times in the last five years.

Yeah having them film at The Pin Shoot was fun. Michael Bane and his crew were a very cool bunch with lots of interesting stories. He's good at what he does, made me look somewhat less doofish than reality ;-)

BBBBill, quite right. Some people don't understand that sometimes, guns are for fun. And I believe it helps tip the balance in a shooter's favor when it's not for fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:27 am 

Exactly. no-one complains that a NASCAR ride is not really relevant to going down to the local store for milk and bread. Or to drive into a combat zone.

So what makes the tacti-cool mall ninja think his SOCOM-approved carry gun is going to win him loot in a match?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 pm 

Patrick Sweeney wrote:
… So what makes the tacti-cool mall ninja think his SOCOM-approved carry gun is going to win him loot in a match?

Careful now. I resemble that remark. I retired from SOCOM and I am tacti-cool! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Well thanks for that BBBBill. Wish we could get together sometime so I could get a few insights into that life.

So the pin shooting thing is starting to percolate a little, with June only a few months away. Went to a local pin match a month ago, another coming up in a few weeks. The .50 really rocks 'em but then the .45 never was a slouch and although I've done well with the .50 I still get beat with .45's so it's not magic.

I really wanted to plug this comp into my own gun and try it but the barrel has not yet been fitted to anything so it would not go. I'll have to wait until June to see it on the gun I reckon.

pinshoot.com by the way.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:21 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Today being May 4th 2021, means that 2021's The Pin Shoot is only 5 weeks away. I snuck in a little time (not as "little" as I'd hoped) to turn out another "somewhat larger that usual" compensator for a good friend / fellow competitor who has been after me for years to make him something for pins. When the old pin shoot returned as The Pin Shoot, and he started attending (having missed the last years of Second Chance), his urgency factor got bumped up a bit :lol: and he started reminding me more as to how long he'd been waiting. He bought a .50 GI-- that told me he was getting serious..... and when I started making noise about maybe making one out of polyoxymethylene (Delrin), well, he took to that idea right away! The final thing-- the thing that maybe made it happen, maybe it didn't, I mean, I might have got to it this year anyway, but-- there's just something about a Marine Colonel that kinda makes you want to do what he wants you to do. I think that's part of how they get to be a Colonel..... :mrgreen:

There are still a few final details to be done.

My first attempt in years at safety wiring. Looks OK and will be effective (they are LocTited too of course) but to someone who really knows aircraft mechanics it leaves something to be desired. I do have safety wire pliers but they are cheezy and I'm not so sure they would work in these confines. There was difficulty getting the wire through the heads with them being so close to the comp body, and the screws were only drilled once so the angle of each hole is not optimal. Might try it again when there's more time and/or try to find some screws or make some that are drilled three ways.
No suprise that a Marine chooses a Trijicon product and, good choice, sez me:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:54 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I wanted the optic to be quick-on, quick-off but off course with no loss, or minimal loss, of zero. The range for bowling pin shooting is 25’ but the optimal part of the pin to hit is maybe 2 ½” wide. Of course there has to be some clearance between the optic mount and the T-slot if goes into, otherwise it’s not a slide fit. There’s probably about a thou there, and it's about an inch wide at the base. That gives a theoretical variance at 25’ of about 5/32” to either side, too much really, but I’m pretty sure that in practice it’s going to be much less.
I wanted The Colonel to be able just slide it in and have it click in place, then actuate “something” and slide it back out. I spent as much time coming up with a simple way of doing it as I did actually doing it. I had pictured a nice checkered Delrin button that the user could slide or pivot up or down that would withdraw a spring-loaded locator—I really wanted that but…. time! I wanted most of all that it would a no-tool engagement and release-- or maybe something where a cartridge could be used as the tool. The problem with .50 GI cartridges is that they resemble cigar butts and as tools are no more useful. A couple times I said screw it, there’s just going to be a screw and I’ll give him a wrench to fit it. I know from experience that just leads to trying to find the wrench.
I finally came up with this. A headed pin with a lifter plate under it and a spring over it, the lifter plate protruding out the side. It works fantastically! Trying to keep things “1911”, the spring is made from a 1911 sear spring. The lifter plate? From the rear sight of a Winchester Model 1910 rifle that broke in rough handling. This is the semi-auto in .401 Winchester Self Loading caliber; Winchester called it the Hammer of Thor and indeed it’s a thumper. This one happened to be second-year production, so…. 1911. Nice tough piece of spring steel. The pin, I usually have some ejector pins around but could not find one in 1/8 so I had to make a head and silver it onto a pin I did have:

They wound up looking like this, and I have added the pocket to the mount where they all go:

And it works. Installing it, the pin snaps perfecting into its hole in the slide. When it’s time to take it off, push up on the lifter and slide it off.

....and there are still a few things to do. I don 't like having things held together with screws so at the least there has to be some sort of extra measure to keep that little 2-56 screw holding the spring from backing out. It will get LocTite of course but it'll get something else too. I still need to get a little more weight out of the reciprocating mass. Right now with the optic on I'm at 3oz over that of my own pin gun. Probably OK but I want to be sure as time is tight. I know I can count on The Colonel to thoroughly test it but if he needs to return it for trimming that's a speed bump we don't need.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:32 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Well it's in The Colonel's hands now and..... what!? No way.... look what he's done to that beautiful Delrin carving!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 1:43 pm 
Members

well of course you posted pic of these space guns on may the 4th.....be with you

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 9:05 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

...without realizing it, but maybe something bigger than me was directing my actions? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:41 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Ned. I remember when the 50 GI first came out. The cartridge slapped plates so hard they spun around at my little backyard range. The ultimate pin gun. Never pursued it further. Medical, work and a few other things changed my priority.

The caliber is a sleeper.

Hit the target like a bowling ball traveling at 850 FPS.

If the ever developed into a defensive cartridge WOW

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Defensive cartridge, you say.....

There is also a 185 at 1200!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:08 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Now that cartridge is a "Defensive" cartridge. The bullet design will allow expansion and penetration and sub sonic speeds. I am a HUGE proponent of the Black Hills "Honey Badger" and other cartridges by Black Hills. Been selling off all my other "stuff" to fund all the upgraded Black Hills for the coming "Zombie Apocalypse"

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 am 

"Eeez gon, eez meant to be shot." Good for him, actually getting in some practice before a match.

Me, I'll be lucky to have all my ammo loaded before packing the car for the drive.