ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:30 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Shop goings-on
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:21 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I like that 'old school' Shield Driver Ned!

RE: rear slide serrations.... while I do them a lot on client guns, with the exception of a couple of old Swenson Colts, I don't own a single gun with them. Believe it or not I still find them fun to do just like checkering and, like checkering, the challenge of running the file straight and getting the line even is just part of fun with rear slide serrations.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:36 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Wear safety glasses when you're working on guns (and anything else). Good ones are so cheap these days-- shameless plug for a local mail-order outfit I have come to appreciate, safetyglassesusa.com. I get 'em with a 1.5X bifocal "cheater" in case, ya know, in case some day my vision becomes less perfect :mrgreen: .

In a 1911 I think full length guide rods can add to the danger just due to the extra fiddling necessary. This guy was also using a bushing wrench-- I never have and never will put out a custom 1911 that needs a bushing wrench to get apart.

The damage to these glasses doesn't look like much but that would have hurt very much and very likely caused damage.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:04 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Solid advice, we have a mutual friend that took a spring plug to the eye a few years back.... did some significant damage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:40 am 

Quote:

Looks like this:

r = C² + 4h²
8h
Not that it needs saying, but this type of attention to all of the details and the skill required to accomplish the end result flawlessly is incredibly impressive, and why I consider you the tops in my book, Ned.

Absolutely brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:36 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Thank you, Mark!

Last week's IDPA Nationals were held at CSEC in Cleo, CO. What an amazing place that is!

I was looking at Practicescore last week to double check on how my Danish cousin did-- Jess-- second revolver (in the whole dang country).

So I'm scrolling through competitors' names. Some guy named Stan. Stan Chen. Hmm.

Must be a few of those around....? Then three more Chens, all of whom have the first names of my friend Stan Chen's children.
https://practiscore.com/results/new/147916 (Note Jess's IDPA number. #3. Like, third guy to sign up after Bill Wilson and, I suppose, LAV).
https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads ... pdated.pdf

I was mightily impressed to see that not only is Stan still out there doing it, he has made it a family endeavor..... what a great Dad eh!?

Jess and Stan know each other-- from when the three of us shot the Single Stack Nationals together, I'll have to dig out the pics to get a date but-- 2007? 2005? I think Jason Burton was there that same year. Jason? Unfortunately, Jess and Stan did not happen to bump into each other..... pity. Anyway, good going, all five of you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:10 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Sometimes the things that I do get done one way one time, another way another time. I should have had the surfaces below the area to be serrated already stoned before serrating. But I told myself I could stone and polish afterwards and not run over onto the serrations, which are fine enough (worked out to something like 44-point-something LPI) that they are, well, not delicate maybe but they will show any slips.

After I got the serrations cut I was a little deeper that I wanted to be at the bottom where they end. It didn't "look bad", I just got a little OCD about it and wanted to lower that surface.... maybe .005. Danger! If I used files I might slip up onto the serrations. Using a power tool, well, same thing. I went with a blue mounted stone at 40000 RPMs (or whatever it is). Those of us, those of you, who've ever done something with a Dremel or air grinder, you know that sometimes the grinding stone or wheel, whatever you're using, wants to "get traction" and..... zzzzipp-- you just ground something you didn't want to grind. So in this case the approach is, do it all from the left side so that if you get that "grab", the stone zips down-slope and not up into the serrations. A little risky still but I got it done with no booboos and then hand-stoned the whole area up to 600. It doesn't really need to be 600 but taking it there is a sure way to see if there are any deep scratches from previous, rougher grits that may need to come out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:18 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Installing an Extra Stout Plunger Tube. Drill the holes using the drill guide.

Re-drill or ream the two new holes a little larger if and as needed, after trying the ESPT, until it will go in or most of the way in with thumb pressure. This ones’ going to need a little light tapping to get it seated—good.

After hours: Deer season is coming up, time to get the Winchester Model 1907 out again (ref post of Nov. 19th 2020). Ammo? You make it out of something else. Original ammo can be found for maybe $200 / box, and some custom loaders offer it, but it is not really that big a deal to make it. Take .357 Maximum brass, turn the rim down, cut an extractor groove, shorten the case. Add some 4227 and a Hawk JSP at about 1800 and you have an OK deer round. The original loading was a 180 JSP very similar to these but the consensus is that they did not expand well— the Hawks do.

This gun and cartridge was a favorite of lawmen and outlaws in the 20’s and 30’s. Somewhere in the vast expanse of the internet, within the last year, I ran across a site where people were discussing “go back in time and select better weapons for our troops, WWI and WWII” or something like that. These ‘07’s did see some use in WWI by the French as air-to-air rifles, but…. I think they’d have been great in the trenches too. Bigger magazines, say 20 rounds….. double-stack had already been done. Cut barrel to 14”—I don’t think this cartridge would miss the 20” barrel much. The 07’s predecessor was the ’05, in .35 SL, basically the same cartridge but shorter. And weak enough to have earned the name “the must useless rifle cartridge ever offered”. The ’05 was also offered in .32 SL….. also pretty weak and yet it is said to have been the basis for the .30 M1 Carbine round. One thing to keep in mind through is that all the WSL’s to include the mighty .401 WSL, were straight blowback—no locked breech, just a massive bolt. The .401 generates the muzzle energy of a .30-30, with an unlocked bolt.

For the “use it in WWI” exercise I might say switch it to a .30 caliber. Neck down the .351 WSL case, make it rimless (it is semi-rimmed)….. I’m picturing something like the .300 Whisper. Now that the Whisper is SAAMI-codified as the .300 AAC Blackout, we know it is meant to run at the same pressure as .223: 55,000 PSI max. Not sure we can make that compatible with straight blowback and since the .351 WSL predates SAAMI (and the Model T Ford!), I can only guess what pressures it might run at, I’m thinking 36-38,000. The late-WWII 7.92X33 for the Sturmgewehr (STG44 / MP44) had a 123 grain Spitzer at 2250fps, at 49,300 PSI. Well, within that 38K PSI parameter I’m thinking one of these 07’s might run .300 Whisper with, say, the original .30-06 bullet of 150 grains at close to 1900-ish FPS— ballistically speaking, pretty superior to the .30 M1 Carbine (40,000 PSI max) that would not come along for another 25 years. 14” barrel? I’d talk to Mr. Maxim about what he could do for us without lengthening it more than another 4”.

Left to right, .357 Maximum case, one of last year’s empties made from same, one in the chuck getting the business, a 180 Hawk above it, and on the right a handload with a cast 180 round nose.

That is not rust on the chuck, it is walnut dust!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:16 am 
Board Member
Board Member

OK, the last couple weeks there have been issues with the forum-- I believe that is now over, thanks to Susan Brian. Our forum hosting service is a little hard to communicate with-- or at least, I find it so; thankfully, Susan is more patient than me and has the knowledge and perseverance to get things done with the host..... for that I am most grateful.

I finally have #3 of 3 up on YouTube, regarding the Kimber Series II passive firing pin safety, what goes wrong and how the issues might be solved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax8yzAypUtU&t=28s

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:14 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Please relay my wife and my thanks to Susan for her help in resolving the technical forum issues.

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't really do that much but thank you for the praise, Ned and Terry. Hopefully we won't be having any more trouble with it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:39 am 

Quote:
I didn't really do that much but thank you for the praise, Ned and Terry. Hopefully we won't be having any more trouble with it.
There are those of us who might not contribute much but we stop by often to see what everyone else is contributing and appreciate any help in keeping it up, thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:02 am 
Board Member
Board Member

FYI the above-described .351 ammo is working well in this 1908-made gun (Model 07 Winchester).... after a few little hitches with bullet profile. In the .401, even better. Both will hold a quarter sheet of paper at 100 yards, good enough for deer behind the house. Both rounds using the Hawk bullet do the deal in wet newspaper, I might just graduate to ballistic gel next summer after we wrap a gel shoot in Patrol Rifle class. The .401 in particular is a powerhouse.... think 10mm auto with a heavy bullet (200 grains) and 900 more FPS. Both are straight blowback and really fling the brass.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:12 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I've been running into Staccatos. A lot of people are talking about them; I've now met some real-deal shooters who are using them.

I never got into hi-cap 1911's very much.... although I do have an STI VIP. I've shot it very, very little, but it has worked well. I sent it back to STI at one point and it was not what you would call a model customer service interaction. Honestly I've long been skeptical of them as a carry gun / duty gun and certainly as a military gun. There have been, over the years, a few things about the original company (STI) I didn't like. I was also skeptical when they changed the name to Staccato, claimed improvements, and changed their focus from competition to carry and duty use. They bumped up the cleverness of their advertising, and brought some credible gun industry / tactical-side personalities on board. I thought, OK, makes sense. You cater to the competition side, your "game guns" turn off a lot of potential buyers on the more serious side. Cater to the serious side and the rest will follow. They've done a good job or reinventing the company and the perception of the product, you can't deny.

On to the present. We had a few Staccato-armed guys come through Patrol Rifle classes this summer. Both were serious gun guys, very competent shooters who aren't fad chasers. That's Item 1. Item 2, at the National Patrol Rifle Conference and Competition, at lunch I sat with some shooters, one of whom had a Staccato on his hip, so I asked him about it. A very good report. Now, two of the above-mentioned guys are Staccato "Blue Team" members, meaning pretty much that they are brand ambassadors, so yeah, they get special deals (I presume and would hope so). But-- the guy I sat with at lunch wound up winning the NPRC. Now, NPRC does not involve pistol shooting much but competitors must carry their duty guns..... but the point is, the guy has to be a good shooter to win the match.

Item 3, making the acquaintance of a guy who has had a lot of influence over policy, training, and gear selection to include guns & ammo, of a very large, I mean very large, agency. The Staccato is authorized equipment after careful examination and testing. He's a fan.

Item 4, yesterday at a police conference, Staccato had a booth in the vendor area, manned by Blue Team members. I already knew a couple of them and knew them as real shooters. The booth staff were all very knowledgeable and I have to say that the guns on display were impressive.