ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:35 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Re: Shop goings-on
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:09 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I have not noticed it, having seen but few S&W's. CNC'd in with a small ball cutter I'm guessing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:38 pm 

Quote:
I have not noticed it, having seen but few S&W's. CNC'd in with a small ball cutter I'm guessing?
Not sure whether manual or CNC. Comes in from the rear at an angle leaving the front face flat and the back rounded from the end mill.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:59 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Platinum is a pretty interesting metal. It has many industrial uses, and going way back…. I remember reading about Civil War cannons having touch holes lined with it to prevent corrosion. Well I have been wanting for a long time to try it as a front sight insert material, so I bought an ingot of it. Can you spot it? Oh it’s there in the pic, I promise you:

Oh, there it is! Two guesses what I paid for this “ingot”:
No wonder somebody stole the catalytic converter off my car a few years back—there is platinum in there! $50 a gram!? It’s worth more than gold at this time.
Platinum has a bunch of interesting properties, mostly with regard to corrosion resistance—it won’t. And an extremely high melting temperature—like over 3000 degrees F. I thought I read somewhere that it takes well to silver brazing— only one way to find out. I milled out a little chunk and shaped it to fit a slot milled in the face of a front sight. Indeed, the marriage went very well! My hope is that after serrating and bluing, I will have a nice white insert.

After hours stuff: What would happen if you drilled a 3/16 hole into the chamber of a shotgun? Nothing good, that’s for sure. Well this 1904 Remington Model 11 had an issue where the barrel threads into the barrel extension. It must have come loose generations ago, because you could see where someone had gone all over it with a centerpunch to try and tighten the thread joint back up. At the same time or perhaps a lifetime later, someone drilled up from underneath to put a little set screw in place. Their hole (about 1/16) popped through into the chamber. Well the set screw never held much or at least not for long The hole did not manifest itself as a problem in the five years since this gun showed up at my doorstep, but the the barrel has been loose—all though, in those five years, several hundred rounds, maybe five hundred, no functional issues. What a tribute to that guy, what was his name again, John Moses something?
It was decided that the time had come to get the barrel and extension locked down for the rest of this almost 120-year-old gun’s life—which could easily be at least another 120 years. I found that the .001 circular barrel shims offered for AR15 barreling were just right to “put back” some metal where the barrel used to shoulder up to the extension. It took two of them, it’s on nice and tight, with a little red insurance added. Nor more likely to come loose than a more recent Auto 5 or other shotgun put together this way. But can you do that and not repair the set screw hole? I drilled it out to 5/23 but as the original hole was probably put in with a hand drill, and was far from straight, 5/32 “missed” cleaning it up on the inside so I went, to, gulp—3/16. The bigger the hole is, the more pressure the plug has to hold…… at 12 gage’s 18000 PSI, I calculate the plug has to hold pretty close to 500 pounds. How bad is that, really? I fired a non-magnum OOB round through it with the hole unplugged just to, you know, see what happened. Yes, I purposely selected a round that had high brass that covered 95% of the hole and that “brass” was steel. Here’s the result:

That was somewhat encouraging. Here’s the plug laser-welded in. This will easily hold 500 pounds, not that I would do this for any other gun but, it also now effectively pins the barrel and extension threads from ever turning again. It needs to be trimmed on the inside, and I assure you dear readers that it will be tested with a few hundred rounds by spring…
Also welded, a mag tube extension where they tend to want to separate after a certain around of pounding, and a 1911’s rails.