The SA-35 project... with an article now out in the new issue of the Armory Life magazine I can fully describe this project that I had a hand in.
I got a Springfield Armory SA-35 from Springfield right after the gun was released. Initially I got one to have a look through, shoot, and see what I thought but this quickly turned into a request from Springfield to work the gun over with one caveat. Springfield requested I do as much as I could to the gun while retaining as many of the factory parts as possible. Normally there are items I want to change by default, but their request seemed like a challenge of sorts, one that might actually require a bit of creativity and problem solving... and I very much like a challenge and problem solving.
When the gun arrived at my shop I tore right into it to get a feel for the construction. Everything was looked over and various parts were hardness tested. I wanted to see how the gun shot in bone-stock form but, in fairness, it needed a bit better trigger first. The trigger right out of the box was not horrible, it measured 5lbs 6oz, but I knew that a better trigger was going to mean more reliable accuracy results at 25 yards so I did a quick trigger job using the factory components.
This was just a tuning of the hammer and sear interface along with a bit of sear spring tweaking and it yielded a trigger pull of right about 4lbs.
A quick stop at the range for a bit of shooting in the mostly stock form, the gun worked well and proved reasonably accurate especially considering this is example was for the most part an out of the box gun that sells for less than $700. This is a group I shot from standing at 25 yards using Winchester 115gr FMJ.
Next came the real fun of building the gun. As I mentioned above there are things I would have done differently given carte blanche to use some different parts. However, the prospect of seeing what I would/could do with the gun while retaining as many of the factory components as possible was quite enjoyable and proved no downside when it came to the functional end results. Here are some of the work in progress photos and brief descriptions of the various modifications made to the SA-35...
Flatten and serrate as well as new sight dovetails...