ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next
 Post subject: Re: Shop goings-on
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:40 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I just paid a 3 1/2 year patent maintenance fee-- the Patent Office (USPTO) fee plus the processing fee: $1075. This is the ransom you pay to prevent the USPTO from opening the drawer with your files in it, removing them, and shredding them. It is really and truly a ransom. Like the government needs the $1075 more than I do! I'm paying them to do literally nothing-- if I don't pay, then they have to do something. Kinda backwards if you ask me and very shyster-ish, not to mention it discourages the little guy from patenting anything. I guess they know that after paying-- I don't even have a total but easily over $10 grand-- after paying to get the patent, you will almost certainly be able to scrape up some more every so often to keep the patent. As I said in my post On Originality ( https://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9985 ), if it was a black and white gangster movie, a greaseball in a pinstripe suit would show up and say, "Gee, datsa nice patent ya got dere, shame if sumpin' happened to it!".

How I met may patent attorney: Came home one Saturday evening, maybe 10:00, after dinner and movie with the wife. I stepped out of the car and in the distance I could heart loud music and what I thought were maybe some Harleys tearing around. Now this is very out of character for me, but I said to her, "Hey, wanna go to a party?" She did not. I got in the car and followed the sound to a spot about three miles away (sound really travels on a quiet evening out here!). I continued into town and picked up a six pack of Oberon, and went back to the party which was in full swing. Lively, but not crazy. Live band, major points for that! I mean it was big enough that for sure not everyone knew everyone else and you could easily do a blend-in party crash but that's not my style. I asked around as to who the host was and was directed to same. I walked up to him, extended my hand and introduced myself. I told him, "I am invoking my right as a neighbor who is not going to complain about your party, to attend your party," and he was cool about that, in fact we had a good laugh. Over the next few hours I ran into some acquaintances and made some new ones. I drank two of my beers and handed out the other four. It got a little late and there were a few elements in the crowd that I thought probably should have been going home, but weren't, so it was time for me to leave. Talk about perfect timing: just as I started my car, the Sheriff's Department rolled in.

That's really the only party I have ever attended uninvited and I'm glad I did, this guy treats me very well but getting a patent is still darned expensive!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:54 pm 

Quote:
I just paid a 3 1/2 year patent maintenance fee-- the Patent Office (USPTO) fee plus the processing fee: $1075. This is the ransom you pay to prevent the USPTO from opening the drawer with your files in it, removing them, and shredding them. It is really and truly a ransom... Kinda backwards if you ask me and very shyster-ish, not to mention it discourages the little guy from patenting anything. I guess they know that after paying-- I don't even have a total but easily over $10 grand-- after paying to get the patent, you will almost certainly be able to scrape up some more every so often to keep the patent. As I said in my post.., if it was a black and white gangster movie, a greaseball in a pinstripe suit would show up and say, "Gee, datsa nice patent ya got dere, shame if sumpin' happened to it!"...
:shock: :x That sux!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:56 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Sure fits one of the most feared saying. "We are from the government and we are here to help you." There is another four letter word to substitute for "help"

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:18 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Yeah, the gov., rarely do they really help, but it always costs you obscene amounts of money! I guess I have a certain amount of protection thanks to them (USPTO) but that maintenance fee seems kinda like extortion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 am 
Board Member
Board Member

On the subject of carry guns.

At the risk of offending some, I offer some comments on this subject that I see discussed a lot. These area just my opinions, of course. I’m not trying to talk down to anyone. I’m not saying I’m the ultimate gunman and therefor have the standing to tell everyone what’s best. Just my opinions.

I think being armed is a good thing. Recent events, we as armed citizens need to squeeze out a lesson, an inspiration maybe, to do what we can to be ready for any...G'damned.... thing. Not just recent events—just the daily news, going back as far as you like—armed citizens, that’s a good thing.

I'm not a tactical ninja guru by any stretch, and I think collecting fine guns and holsters is a great endeavor, I do it, but may I suggest, do that as a separate thing apart from being ready. Find one combo that you think will work and start working with it. Be armed, be safe and proficient. Most of all, be ready in your mind. Everywhere you go, make a game out of "what if". Don't worry about scratches on your carry gun. Don't worry about what grips look best. Don't let trends and tactical bad-assery marketing dictate your choices. Don’t compromise on safety, comfort, reliability, in order to carry something impressive. As John Farnam says, “I don’t have guns to impress my friends, I have guns to impress my enemies.” Don't fret holster wear on the finish-- it gives your gun character and is part of your credential package: "shooter!" Don't subject yourself to analysis paralysis with regard to caliber, magazine capacity, "latest and greatest". Don't have a "carry rotation" where you switch guns and action types and holster types every week—sorry, but that's mental masturbation. Get a decent gun, decent mags, decent carry setup: secure, discreet, comfortable, and some extra ammo. Buy ammo and shoot it, instead of buying more guns (more guns is good, but I mean if you can’t afford both). Don't delay, don't hold out for "perfect", perfect being the enemy of good enough. You can get perfect later if you want….. your experience, as it accumulates, will re-direct you sometimes to something new.... cool. Have something and let it be something you become confident in, extremely familiar and proficient with. "Fear the man with only one gun, for he knows how to use it"-- there is a ton of weight to that old bromide. Collect the many, sure, if you can. Let one stand out. Let that one be the tool, and the others be the collection. Decide on “the one” and get married to it for carry purposes. If you can, keep it temperature-stable: 98.6°.

I know we can’t all carry all the time. Work situation, family situation, legality. If you can’t carry all day every day, even if you choose not to, it doesn’t make you uncool or a bad person. But if you do, I think you owe it to everyone within range of you at all times, to be as safe and proficient as you can be. If you can fit a red-dotted Staccato into your daily life and into your pants, more power to ya. If it has to be something "not impressive" and inexpensive, good’nuff, if it is secure, discreet, and you run it well. Whatever you can afford and fit into your situation is much better than something else left at home because you can’t sit in the car with it or are worried about the big bulge being spotted. Maybe don’t buy the next gun and spend that money on more ammo and range time, maybe even a class or two. Finding your limit and learning how to bust through to the next level is confidence-building and…. fun.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:54 pm 

Quote:
On the subject of carry guns...
Sage words indeed.
Extra mags and a few key spare parts (recoil springs and such) for your primary gun are a good thing.
My carry has evolved as dictated by age and injuries accrued over time. The 1911, my favorite carry since the early 70s, is no longer in my holster for daily carry. The back just will not tolerate that for more than a couple hours. Now I carry a plastic gun. Not sexy, but always with me and I can shoot it well.
Lots of ammo and real practice, not just busting caps to make noise.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:29 am 

Quote:
On the subject of carry guns.

At the risk of offending some, I offer some comments on this subject that I see discussed a lot. These area just my opinions, of course. I’m not trying to talk down to anyone. I’m not saying I’m the ultimate gunman and therefor have the standing to tell everyone what’s best. Just my opinions.

I think being armed is a good thing. Recent events, we as armed citizens need to squeeze out a lesson, an inspiration maybe, to do what we can to be ready for any...G'damned.... thing. Not just recent events—just the daily news, going back as far as you like—armed citizens, that’s a good thing.

I'm not a tactical ninja guru by any stretch, and I think collecting fine guns and holsters is a great endeavor, I do it, but may I suggest, do that as a separate thing apart from being ready. Find one combo that you think will work and start working with it. Be armed, be safe and proficient. Most of all, be ready in your mind. Everywhere you go, make a game out of "what if". Don't worry about scratches on your carry gun. Don't worry about what grips look best. Don't let trends and tactical bad-assery marketing dictate your choices. Don’t compromise on safety, comfort, reliability, in order to carry something impressive. As John Farnam says, “I don’t have guns to impress my friends, I have guns to impress my enemies.” Don't fret holster wear on the finish-- it gives your gun character and is part of your credential package: "shooter!" Don't subject yourself to analysis paralysis with regard to caliber, magazine capacity, "latest and greatest". Don't have a "carry rotation" where you switch guns and action types and holster types every week—sorry, but that's mental masturbation. Get a decent gun, decent mags, decent carry setup: secure, discreet, comfortable, and some extra ammo. Buy ammo and shoot it, instead of buying more guns (more guns is good, but I mean if you can’t afford both). Don't delay, don't hold out for "perfect", perfect being the enemy of good enough. You can get perfect later if you want….. your experience, as it accumulates, will re-direct you sometimes to something new.... cool. Have something and let it be something you become confident in, extremely familiar and proficient with. "Fear the man with only one gun, for he knows how to use it"-- there is a ton of weight to that old bromide. Collect the many, sure, if you can. Let one stand out. Let that one be the tool, and the others be the collection. Decide on “the one” and get married to it for carry purposes. If you can, keep it temperature-stable: 98.6°.

I know we can’t all carry all the time. Work situation, family situation, legality. If you can’t carry all day every day, even if you choose not to, it doesn’t make you uncool or a bad person. But if you do, I think you owe it to everyone within range of you at all times, to be as safe and proficient as you can be. If you can fit a red-dotted Staccato into your daily life and into your pants, more power to ya. If it has to be something "not impressive" and inexpensive, good’nuff, if it is secure, discreet, and you run it well. Whatever you can afford and fit into your situation is much better than something else left at home because you can’t sit in the car with it or are worried about the big bulge being spotted. Maybe don’t buy the next gun and spend that money on more ammo and range time, maybe even a class or two. Finding your limit and learning how to bust through to the next level is confidence-building and…. fun.
There is a lot of great advice in this. Over the past 10 years I have settled on the compact 1911 as my daily carry, first was a SAC's worked over compact and for the past 7 years a Wilson ULCC. The ULCC is in 9MM, I'm a little north of 10K rounds on it now. I have had people question spending that kind of money on a EDC but the way I look at it, its been less than a cup of coffee a day.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:28 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Exactly, it does not matter what it is. I see so many people selecting gear based on braggin' rights and being cool. To the point where they have something that is impractical / unsafe / nigh unto impossible to actually carry on a daily basis, and/or so dang expensive they don't want to risk holster wear. I get it kinda because I have been there! When I first got my Officers ACP I carried it even though I knew it to be inaccurate and reliability was "iffy", but it was cool. That was not smart. I cracked the short-.45 code soon after and now I can rely on it totally.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:06 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Browning HP’s have parts, lots of parts. Here are about half of them:
This one has some use, to the tune of maybe 2000 rounds since I’ve owned it. Several thou before that but I’m calling it <3,000, so ~5K total. Some were purposely mild handloads,others were the Power Factoring-est factory loads I could find (but only a few wild +P+ loads—no need for that). It became a bit of a test bed for me…. Still has a few imperfections but that’s OK, since it’s for me. A little competition and a lot of miles in a Sparks Executive Companion. It went out for Parko and Ceracoat…… plus a little chrome…. came out pretty darned good.
There are a couple things I would do differently if I made a second one kinda like this one (prob'ly not gonna happen). Parkerize and Ceracoat by Glenrock Blue, "Charcoal Black". Always great to work with and always a great result.

The holster already has about 18 months' wear on it. The gun-- the same, plus what it had from the previous owner, but it was hard to tell with lots of bare metal from being a work-in-progress. Now it looks like new, not for long.

….and, something that came along this evening. I’ll get to it when I get a few pending projects wrapped up. An interesting pin gun by Oglesby & Oglesby, ca. 1998….those barrels live a hard life. It was still shooting but malfunctioning.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

That Hi-Power looks waaaaaay cool!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:19 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Not very traditional. Still needs a few things, but I've been lovin' it. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:24 am 

I agree with Jason that HP looks amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:46 am 

Definitely cool, say, didn't that one used to have a grip safety on it? And it looks like it lacks the superfluous magazine disconnector. That had to improve the trigger pull.

And now that SA has offered up their SA-35 also lacking that obnoxious device, the way is clear to get them out of some of mine.

And that pin gun was still running, just giving an occasional hiccup? Kudos to Saint browning.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:15 am 
Board Member
Board Member

This is the one that had the GS.... all welded up like it never happened (almost). Mag safety? Never heard of him :-).

On the cracked barrel, case metal was flowing into the crack a little from what I'm told. I suppose the barrel got a little wide and caused problems. But it did not "blow" per se.

Still a few things on the BHP to be done, a little finish blending on the grips, tritium for the rear sight, zero-ing, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:18 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

If I was to do another BHP to this level, one mod I would do and might wind up doing to this one, is to strengthen the trigger guard. They are awfully thin on these things and maybe I'm trippin' too far into the theoretical, but I can see a guy diving for the pavement to get behind a curb, coming down on said curb real hard with the trigger guard, and bending it in blocking trigger movement. Or it could just be slip on the ice.

I would make a narrow strip of steel, maybe 1/16 X 1/8, shape it to fit the inside profile of the trigger guard, and silver it in place. It would fit under the end of the trigger, which might have to be shortened .020 or so. Other than that, this is almost the perfect BHP for me, although I will confess I wish it was maybe 1/2" shorter. Just could not justify the time doing that but.... just because it got Ceracoated doesn't mean it's no longer a test bed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:05 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I haven't done very many gold bead sights. It's not that I don't like them, they're cool, just that I usually do tritium or nothing. I recently did the Platinum one and I thought it turned out fine. This customer on this one said, "Recessed gold bead," and I was happy to hear that because I've been kinda wanting to do just that. One thing about standard gold beads, they do stick out. OK here's me going overboard again on the theoretical, but they could snag on something. Recessed, it would not, but everything's a compromise-- it can't be as big and be flush or recessed. So, this one is recessed, but just a little-- not nough to create shadows on one side or the other. It's just below flush, like to the bottom of the serrations in the sight face.

How to polish the face of it, perfectly flat and smooth, perfectly perpendicular to the shaft? Well, first, how to get it exactly the diameter I want? Drill and ream a hole in a piece of Ampco 18 bronze, give the hole a 10 degree lead-in, and push the gold piece through the hole. Voila, perfectly sized. Then push it through again so the to-be polished end is sticking out about .004 and start dragging it across wet-or-dry paper on a granite surface plate. 400, 800, 1500, crocus cloth and then SimiChrome on a piece of typing paper.. It is pushed into the hole in the front sight with a purpose-made Delrin punch to the right depth-- with a little epoxy to hold it, although it turned out to be a perfect press fit so the epoxy was superfluous. Finally-- drill a tiny hole from the bottom of the sight up into the gold shaft and press in a piece of 1/32 rod. It's there to stay.

I will note here that I consider Jason and Ted the kings of the gold front sight. I don't know how it's done and I never asked because I consider that a signature feature that I don't want to copy.

Today I ran across these pics from a couple years ago, a magwell made from scratch. and one of my mainspring housings made here with the forward step, as I have done since somewhere in the '90's although back then it was via welding-up or brazing a piece in. The way I do these it's two trips to the welder-- one to attach it for initial shaping, and one after to get all the seams, then, recut again and stone out the machining marks. These pics show the initial weld and then the first machining.Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:52 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

That gold insert front sight above, the "almost the most work I ever put into a front sight" sight, LOST. Gone missing in the shop. I moved tools and rollarounds and such that have not been moved since 2009. I went through all the "stuff" in the Shop Vac. I checked everywhere. This is how this is done: You look where it should be, everywhere it could be, then you look there again, then you look a few other places, then you look where it should be again, and again. Then you start looking where it shouldn't be, then where it can't possibly be. Look a few more times where it should be..... and then finally realize that it's time to give it up as gone, or maybe it will show up in the most unexpected place some day (I did find a few long-gone things under the rollaround). More gold is on the way.

Meanwhile, some mini- O.F. FRAG on a safety and slide stop. Still not quite done but the pics show the current state alongside a few unmodified parts. These are Guncrafter SS parts, very good stuff. Besides the mini- O.F. FRAG, done with tiny and special cutters, there's a ton of blending, handwork, stoning. I like the paddle to organically "grow" out of the safety's body. Not my best pics perhaps.

Note the green color of the stainless-- a by product of the heat treat / tempering process. Gets blasted and polished off anyway.

A little hand stoning.....

And, I get by with a little help from my dentist. Teeny tiny burr and the Moto Tool at 36,000 R's per M, texturing the tops of each square. Every notice how many dentists are gun people? Going back to Doc Holiday at least.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:57 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

I love everything about the GI (Guncrafter Industries) safety except that the shaft is a little longer, that is, it protrudes from the RH side of the gun a bit more, and the shaft end is a full semi sphere. Never really noticed it before but on this one, with the Colt hammer and sear pins being right there close, with polished ends, it stood out slightly-- to me. So how to hold the safety and spin it to removes some length and re-form the end to match the Colt pins? Ya gotta make a tool. This one is from, I think, 2017.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:40 am 

Think of the tool, make the tool, make the mod. Store for when you'll need it a few years later. Now that's pistolsmithing, not just armorer's work.

If archeologists ever come across Ned's shop, they are going to be scratching their heads, trying to figure out what those tools do.

Icons? Tools of worship? Just coffee-room break gadgets? If they don't know guns, they won't have a chance, no matter how many PhDs they might have earned.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:06 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Patrick you are so very very right

Terry Peters

@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:52 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Well, in an old toolmaking tradition, all or most of the tools I've made have something written on them-- this one is, "Hold 1911 safety for work on shaft end 08/2017". A good archeologist ought to be able at least to track down what a 1911 was and that it had a safety.... we hope.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:51 am 
Board Member
Board Member

The above- mentioned front sight with the recessed gold bead, having been lost, now is being re-done.

https://imgur.com/6IRQ8Cb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:32 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Now that is a lot of work for the perfect front sight. Gold Bead and Gold Line are the two front sight set up I prefer. Especially with my eyes at age 73 this year

Few who actually know what all goes into custom work on a firearm.

Terry Peters

@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:37 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Done at last. Now I will find the first one right where I left it, wherever that is!

Parkerizing it:

And, after a coat of Gun Coat, new gold insert, polished up to a yellow diamond paste level, glued in. I also gets cross-pinned. I don't bet anything on glue or LocTite only if there is any way to make it metal-to-metal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:00 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Again. An incredible amount of detail for the sight built to your spec. Thank you for sharing

Terry Peters

@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:02 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Had a chance today to revisit L Minimus Primus from 2011.

And, some time back: part of moving a firing pin over when it winds up sofar off center that you get some misfires (different gun).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:09 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Looks like the pics from the original thread,

https://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php ... 858#p59858

...cannot be brought back. I will endeavor to replace them before I return the gun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:10 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

The cracked barrel several posts up-- it's this one. A muzzle-weighted barrel by Oglesby & Oglesby, ca 1995.... ish? The port on the side, one each side, does vent into the barrel.

The job-- done during a week or so between "real" jobs-- replace the barrel and make this more like a compensator.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:21 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

New barrel fitted to the gun (OK, confession, it practically dropped in) and to the compensator / formerly ported barrel weight. Getting started on ports. The 1" steel bar is a piece I found along the road :P years ago. It is Ledloy, that is a type of mild steel with 1/3 of 1% lead added to improve machinability. It's not what I would normally choose for any gun part but honestly it will suffice for this, even the blast face of a comp, since it's "only" a .45 ACP. I will turn it to fit inside the comp's bore, step it to the comp's outer diameter, and sliver braze it in, then match it to the comp on the outside.

The slot toward the rear where the side ports were, the barrel has been left whole there.... in this iteration it will depend on the cop to do the compensating. It won't be the world's biggest pin gun comp but it should be more effective than the side ports.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:52 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Sometimes a job like this drags on and on with little complications coming out of the woodwork.... this one kinda went bing bang boom and done. I kept looking at it like, "I must have forgotten something".

This was not what I would exactly call custom gun work, this was a repair with improvements thrown in.... on a tool for shooting bowling pins, not a work of art. Through the slot on top here you can see that the end piece silvered in was made with a radius on the bottom of the blast face to theoretically help gassed sweep up and out. The way the silver flowed kinda enhanced this, like it knew what needed doing.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous 18 9 10 11 12 Next