ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC-08:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13
 Post subject: Re: Shop goings-on
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:32 am 
Board Member
Board Member

This year's The Pin Shoot is over and it was another great one. We had a lot of new shooters this year-- well, not novice shooters, just first-time-at-Pin Shoot shooters. Nice bunch of people! I made a point of watching for them and welcoming them, and made some new friends. At least two or three of them "got the walk" at the awards ceremony, meaning they did well and won something, and got called to the price table.

I'll be posting some pictures but first a few comments. As in recent years, this was another "year of the kid" where young shooters shot extremely well. A 15-year-old girl posted some really fast times in the PCC event. Three or four young guys in the 19-23 range got the walk or multiple walks to the prize table. one of them won the JP Rifles PCC Shootoff and walked away with a new JP carbine! Young eyes, fast reflexes and taking it seriously definitely help. And yet...... most of the old dogs with decades of experience also do well, simply because they've done it so much! Watching Patrick Sweeney shoot the shotgun event with a nearly-stock Rem 1100 in 3.9 seconds always amazes-- and he did not win the event with that time, I believe it was won with a 3.6! That event is you and your shotgun, eight rounds of (usually) double-ought buck, and eight pins that have to be cleared off the table at 25'. The time stops when the last pin hits the ground, not at your last shot. The preferred load is the excellent S&B 12-pellet, non-magnum load.... "non magnum" perhaps, but not "low recoil". "How can you miss at 25' with a shotgun," some may ask. All I can say is, try doing it .1 second faster than the next guy and you will see, it is entirely possible. And also possible to knock one over and not off. That means a quick reload for a ninth round, all the while knowing you can't win with a miss and a reload, but also that your second-fastest time will be your tie breaker. And also knowing that a tie breaker with a reload in it is not a good tie breaker!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:22 pm 

Quote:
This year's The Pin Shoot is over and it was another great one...

I'll be posting some pictures but first a few comments. As in recent years, this was another "year of the kid" where young shooters shot extremely well. A 15-year-old girl posted some really fast times in the PCC event. Three or four young guys in the 19-23 range got the walk or multiple walks to the prize table...
Sounds like fun! Lookng forward to the photos.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:44 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Yes. Looking forward to the pictures. Great seeing young folks take up shooting sports.

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:41 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I posted some new videos on YT, unfortunately the slo-mo of the Rem 11 does not translate. It's cool watching that long-recoil action.

https://www.youtube.com/@nedchristiansen3105

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:25 am 
Board Member
Board Member

We are high rollers at The Pin Shoot…… actually that’s “Davis Dough” (DD) from a few years ago, so no value. DD is what you use to buy optionals.

“Simo” after some previously mentioned maintenance, after a hard day of pin shooting..50 GI does well at The Pin Shoot.

“Pingelder” after probably 450 rounds fired. I brought 918 rounds up,came back with maybe 400. The GI is perfect in function, absolutely perfect. BTW 918 rounds of .50 GI weights exactly 50 pounds!

And…. Jess Christensen shoots the “223 X 39”, a two-man rifle event. I didn’t get video of it but Jess once again won the “Big Push” event, that’s three pins that need to be pushed 14’ back off the table, so it’s a job for mostly the .500 and .460 magnums. 3.1 seconds.... that's blazing fast with these super magnums. Expect to hear more about Jess.... after decades of being a top shooter and 1911 gunsmith for a few very highly regarded 1911 outfits, he has hung out a shingle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:57 am 

Ned,

My top time this year ended up being 3.5 seconds, good for 3rd overall, behind Dan Koch at 3.2 and Dan Hauserman at 3.2. I was looking at the demographics, and the curve isn't a bell curve, it is a two-headed bell curve. There's a whole cohort in-between us old-timers and the new kids, who never got into pin shooting.

I'll post some pics once my computer cools down from the download.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:35 am 

OK, here is Valo from last year, with his Remington 11, and you can see the barrel is back, but starting forward to initiate ejection.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:07 am 
Board Member
Board Member

So cool, thank you. It's remarkable to watch in slo-mo, like a WWII deck gun chugging away. I ran that gun one year at the old shoot; he has been using it now for 3-4 years to good effect. We reckon since he started using it, he has 7-800 rounds through it. He also used the Winchester '97 this year in the slug event and had a faster time than me and my Bowning BPS. I think Darth Vader said it best.... the apprentice has become the master. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 10:08 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Jeff has been saving and dating primer box tops and I got him last night to go into that "file"... That number is..... 63,500. That is the number of rounds fired through this pistol since the 2018 new barrel, slide, and slide and frame weldup.

In that time, the ejector broke and the hammer strut broke. Looks like the #2 extractor is in it not because #1 broke, but just to "share the load". The slide to frame fit is still great due to lots of contact area.
That's HUGE ammo consumption for anyone, especially in one gun! Speaks volumes about the builder, shooter, and gun. I'd say that his muscle memory is reasonably well established.
Concerning "high mileage comes to town" the 63,500 rounds, in five years, is 12,700 per year. sounds like he's slowing down. I know when I was serious about competition, 35,000 rounds a year was a slow year. but back then, we joked "You spend the first 100,000 rounds learning to shoot, and the second 100,000 rounds un-learning the mistakes you learned in the first."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:44 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Post Pin Shoot, getting the lead out of a shotgun barrel. Somebody please make a OOB load where the shot is in a cup! 12 gage Nylon brush from Iosso, Chore Boy pan scrubber, some Kroil (could be anything really) a cordless drill, rubber gloves (to keep all the lead-bearing mung out of my system). When shopping for pan scrubber, bring a magnet. Some of it is steel, copper-plated. Probably OK actually but I'd rather have only copper.

Something I see pretty regularly; this is in a factory Colt Commander barrel. The freebore and throat of the chamber are way eccentric to the bore. It's like they use reamers without pilots or very undersized pilots. On this side, lots of freebore and throat…..

On this side, almost none at all. Bullets were wedging in; they would chamber but you could literally not eject a loaded round, the wedging was so extreme. Dear Colt: you've been making these things for how long, now?

And, another pictorial comment on how I start when fitting a ramped barrel:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:29 am 

Re: colt barrels

Some things are so foundational, and so easy to get right, you have to wonder how it can happen that it isn't right. I mean, how much do you have to fiddle-fart around with chambering a broached barrel blank, to get those results?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 am 
Board Member
Board Member

I know. I see parts made wrong sometimes that make me wonder "how did they even do that?"

We scored some bowling pins the other day. This is what 800 of them looks like.... 800 X 3.5 = 2800 pounds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:03 am 
LTW Supporter
LTW Supporter

Now that is gonna be a lot of fun in the bed of that pick up Keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

Do your research but you get what you pay for front end or back end
http://www.pt-partners.com
@ptpartners_tx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:02 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

The Guncrafter Industries HOSS 1911:

https://www.guncrafterindustries.com/th ... stom-1911/

I tell ya. Not only in the firearms biz, but certainly to great extent in the firearms biz, puffery and exaggeration make up the majority of the market. Fakery, even. Downright BS sometimes. As I have said before, much of what's out there doesn't have to be what they say it is, it only has to seem like it is or look like it is. That's why when I see something that really IS what it purports to be, I love talking about it.

I have never made a secret of it, the guys at Guncrafter are my friends. I've known Alex since 1991 and I knew in the first hour of our acquaintance that he had a lot going on. Real innovation is not completely absent in the firearms industry but it is the exception. And everything from Guncrafter that I have seen has been exceptional.

I get so disappointed in many 1911 offerings-- OK, I'm a 1911 snob, sorta, but really..... all I ask for, all it takes to make me happy is a 1911 that comes from the factory and works right out of the box, no 1000 round break-in, nor a 500 round or 200 round one-- that should not be too much to ask. Soooo many guns out there, when you buy it probably 10% of the price is you paying for their copious advertising that virtually guarantees that they will sell lots of guns and make a profit, on a gun that doesn't work, isn't finished, and.... by the way, please put another $900 into it for us and break it in as opposed to us doing it right and giving you a gun that works. "Expect" malfunctions until you have put "X" rounds through it.

Balderdash! 100 rounds, or 1000 rounds, or 5000 rounds, ain't gonna fix a chamber that's too tight. Nor an extractor with no tension, nor feedramp geometry that won't feed hardball for crapsake.

A couple years ago another brand come out with their own 1911. I wanted them to succeed, real bad. I was in contact with them and told them I'd like to help, and I outlined what "everybody else" (almost) gets wrong and how easy it would be for them to not get these things wrong. Getting these things right would not require bringing back the kindly white-haired craftsman with wire-rimmed glasses and a white apron-- and decades of experience-- to spend an hour and a half fine-tuning each gun with needle files and other hand tools. Nope. It might take a few employees with an hour's training to spend another twelve minutes per gun.... twenty even.... and get these areas right. The savings in warranty returns would surely pay for that, but-- the cost of fixing guns that don't work, well, that's rolled into the price everyone pays, too. "They're not going to lose money just because their product doesn't work"! I got a copy of their new product and it was a disappointment.... they missed the same things so many others get wrong. When it would be so easy to get them right. I was hoping they would be a stand-out, but they were not.

Every Guncrafter I've seen has been exemplary. See, all you have to do to stand out is do what everyone else does but do it right! Guncrafter is not the only one of course-- there are several others, but Guncrafter is the one I know best. Something like the HOSS takes it several steps further, with real innovations with actual advantages, the kind of thinking that many legacy manufacturers seem incapable of. Note the heavy-walled barrel, the oversized slide stop shaft, the heavy duty plunger tube (yes, that is my product). 15 LPI checkering? You have to try it to appreciate it.

YES, you can get a 1911 for 1/10 the price and some of them work pretty well from what I see. They won't be as accurate, they won't last nearly as long, but they will work, sometimes better than the "big names". There are a few budget 1911's that honestly ought to bring shame to some of the other brands. There should be staff meetings and come-to-John-Moses-Browning meetings. Well I think the years have shown us that probably won't happen. The old saying,"we sell every one we make" carries a lot of weight. I wish it was "every one we make is as good as it can be and it will work!"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:50 pm 

Quote:
The Guncrafter Industries HOSS 1911:

https://www.guncrafterindustries.com/th ... stom-1911/

I tell ya. Not only in the firearms biz, but certainly to great extent in the firearms biz, puffery and exaggeration make up the majority of the market. Fakery, even. Downright BS sometimes...

I get so disappointed in many 1911 offerings-- OK, I'm a 1911 snob, sorta, but really..... all I ask for, all it takes to make me happy is a 1911 that comes from the factory and works right out of the box, no 1000 round break-in, nor a 500 round or 200 round one-- that should not be too much to ask. Soooo many guns out there, when you buy it probably 10% of the price is you paying for their copious advertising that virtually guarantees that they will sell lots of guns and make a profit, on a gun that doesn't work, isn't finished, and.... by the way, please put another $900 into it for us and break it in as opposed to us doing it right and giving you a gun that works. "Expect" malfunctions until you have put "X" rounds through it.

Balderdash! 100 rounds, or 1000 rounds, or 5000 rounds, ain't gonna fix a chamber that's too tight. Nor an extractor with no tension, nor feedramp geometry that won't feed hardball for crapsake.

A couple years ago another brand come out with their own 1911. I wanted them to succeed, real bad... I was hoping they would be a stand-out, but they were not.

Every Guncrafter I've seen has been exemplary. See, all you have to do to stand out is do what everyone else does but do it right! Guncrafter is not the only one of course-- there are several others... Note the heavy-walled barrel, the oversized slide stop shaft, the heavy duty plunger tube (yes, that is my product). 15 LPI checkering? You have to try it to appreciate it.

YES, you can get a 1911 for 1/10 the price and some of them work pretty well from what I see. They won't be as accurate, they won't last nearly as long, but they will work, sometimes better than the "big names". There are a few budget 1911's that honestly ought to bring shame to some of the other brands. There should be staff meetings and come-to-John-Moses-Browning meetings. Well I think the years have shown us that probably won't happen. The old saying,"we sell every one we make" carries a lot of weight. I wish it was "every one we make is as good as it can be and it will work!"
Agreed. While I don't particularly care for the Guncrafter aesthetics (I don't care for the bushing profile on this particular gun), their reputation for excellence is well earned. And aesthitics are easily changed to suit.
I like the heavy barrel, plunger tube, and especially the15LPI checkering. What is that slide stop pin diameter? Looks like .220"-ish.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2024 1:03 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

It's a full .250. So, .050 larger, as is the barrel diameter-- so the bushing is larger, which necessitated the weird sculpts in the bushing's side-- so you can get the plunger tube out.

Built like the old Freedom Arms .454 Casull revolvers-- everything is solid and smooth, no wobble but totally free movement. When you hand cycle it, it makes a sound kinda like a Luger, which I like to describe as, "craftsmanship you can hear."

Not the best pic.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 376 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 13