ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC-08:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:21 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Those of you who follow my social media pages may recognize this one from the little teasers I’ve been throwing out over the last couple of days. Truth is I’ve probably been teasing this one for a few months now... maybe even longer. No doubt that I’m not the fastest at anything. Even with as much time as I spend in the shop working I seldom get to do a ‘spare time’ gun. HA!! Like I have any spare time! :lol:

This, however, is one of those projects and it was the kind of gig where I got to basically build the gun in any manner I choose. I got to consider all the potential options, and I certainly took the time to do so, but in the end it just seemed fitting to have this gun be nothing less than a classic representation of a custom Colt Commander.

The gun started as a new in box steel framed Series 80 Colt Commander in 45ACP. This is basically a recent/current production gun and like other Colts from the current era it makes for a great gun to build on. A weld-up frame and slide fit starts as the foundation for the piece with the Kart barrel being the heart of the gun. The checkering front and rear is courtesy of my ever-calloused hands and done at 30lpi... classic after all. The slide top is flat with a curved arrow pattern pointing you to the custom fabricated gold line front sight. The rear of the slide is serrated to match the modified Heinie rear sight and a primary and spare extractor are of course matched to the rear of the slide as well... those calloused hands helped there too. The grip safety and thumb safety are bar-stock parts, the latter being one of the cool parts offered by my pal Stan Chen. Toss in a bunch of other parts, a trigger job, some detailing, and cover the whole works in polished blue with ironwood stocks and voila... a finished gun.

Of course the whole thing is capped off with a nifty leather covered book that documents the build process and the final finished pistol... classic after all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm 
Members

Just . . . WOW!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:01 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Very nicely done, Jason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:11 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Beautifully done!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:25 pm 

Simply amazing, I could look at the picture for hours and continue to find little things along the way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:31 am 
Board Member
Board Member

OK, yeah, the gun is great.... That's a given these days :P

The book.... that's an awesome bit of thinking there.... very cool addition to a top-notch package. Good goin' pal.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:24 pm 

I sure do love the looks of that pistol....and I lllooove the smell of a leather bound book! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:45 am 

Beautiful pistol…