ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:39 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Ned - Is this your work?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:21 am 

Dave Laubert posted these photos and was asking who and why.

<quote> Okay all, here is a new one for me!!.
This is on pre-prefix Colt .45.
The VIS relief is about .310" deep.
Has anyone ever seen this before? Does anyone have any idea why someone would have done this? <quote>
I told him that I knew that you had done similar to at least one other gun.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:55 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Nope. It's a little hard to see what's going on there (Dave Laubert: great smith, cool guy, questionable photographer, apparently :shock: ;-) ).

I mean the extra-deep bore under the bow-tie cut, that makes some sense if we're talking about getting some weight out-- I've burrowed in there on a few guns. If you're mining for iron in a 1911 frame, that's the mother lode. But they didn't go very far so it makes me think the cut maybe just "went too deep" at the factory....?

The other part appears to me that maybe in combo with a mod to the slide, its purpose is to get a little more stroke. I've never done it that way and never endeavored to increase the stroke on a 5" but I have gone to some lengths before to maximize it on Commanders and shorter. More stroke on a 5", I think it's a great idea and have had a look at how it would be done but since they work well as-is, I never prioritized it. I think some guys have done this. I mean another 5/32" or so would be great, like by altering a 5" frame to Commander specs at the end of the frame rails. Esp. now that flat wire springs are finally "out there", the issue of more stroke giving less room for a spring just kinda went >poof<. Flat wire springs BTW..... "everything old is new again". Our Steyr Model 1912 9mm Steyr....? Flat wire springs. We shoulda had 'em in 1911's decades ago.

BBBBill, you might be thinking about "Barbie" and how I worked around a slightly butchered slide:
https://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.php ... arbed+Wire
Maybe I missed an opportunity to stroke that gun....! Could still be done. Maybe some day.

I'd be interested to hear Dave's final take on it and to see the rest of the pistol. In fact, Dave should absolutely be posting here at least once in a while, this thread is a great excuse!