ltwguns.com

Actions Speak Louder Than Words
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 8:20 pm

All times are UTC-08:00

Post subject: Frag OUT!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:54 am 
Board Member
Board Member

John VanZyke of VZ and I are collaborating on some new grips being offered by VZ, the Frag grips. I've been using them every day now and I think it's a very viable pattern. I owe John a huge thank-you for working with me on this, or more accurately for allowing me to work with him on it. John is a good friend and, in business, a straight shooter of the highest order.

So... to help introduce the new grips, I did this Colt in Frag. Frag has not been as popular as Conamyds but in utility they are equal. Both have a quality of not being sticky to everything they touch, but, as a firing grasp is exerted, the gun becomes locked in.

As I got this one done, it passed the final test: "I need this. I wish I could keep it for my own"... :(

Right side shot….. all black. Manganese phosphate, then Gun Kote and bake.

A little closer, showing the Frag pattern on the frontstrap and trigger. Yes, it was a trick getting it on the trigger! Trigger’s Frag grooves are Gun Koted for contrast. I was not about to put that much time into machining a trigger face and take a chance on it going unnoticed……

The muzzle. The barrel is a Kart, bushing started out as an EGW 80%-er. I got a recpoil spring plunger from Guncrafter Industries as I knew they had one with and extra-long end, enabling me to Frag it. I have always liked keeping the barrel, bushing, trigger and hammer light-colored on a dark gun. So these parts are all chromed on this one, except the Harrison Design trigger which was left bare.

This one shows the Frag in pretty good detail—notice it is also on the mag realease (a Wilson Combat piece). Also, of course, my own ESPT (Extra Stout Plunger Tube).

The Chen magwell. I kept the pistol as dry as possible for pics; clolors will darken and even out with a proper light oiling.

Showing the back end; STI grip safety, chromed, lightened hammer, textured slide rear, modified Yost rear sight….. I had this one around but I understand these are now available through John Harrison / Harrison Design. Ambi safety is a new design from Wilson Combat and very interesting. The two shafts don’t meet in the middle in a blade-and-slot config, each slot is halved length-wise and they overlap to make the full diameter—with a blade-and-slot-arrangement at each end. I think it is stronger but would like to do a little destructive testing to prove it. Anyway, very well made. I hold the WC stuff in very high regard as to quality and support.

Better shot of the rear sight, the front deck is lowered a little and radiused to match the slide making for more positive one-handed racking.

The Chen MSH and magwell. It’s no small job doing a weld-on magwell but it becomes part of the pistol and looks great…… the utility of it hardly needs mention. Image

And, the front.

Post subject: Re: Frag OUT!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:16 am 

Amazing job...Congrats to the new owner. Wally

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:36 am 
Members

Ned,

FRAG'in A Man!!! I can't wait..

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:47 am 
Members

Beautiful. A dream gun.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:30 am 
Members

That's cool!!! I wonder how "mini" frag patterns would look on the rear of the slide? The Magwell and MSH are flawless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:08 am 
Members

:( Too bad it's not mine :( Out of this world Ned!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:54 pm 
Board Member
Board Member

Ned-

That is one of the most seamless mag well installs in history....looks ALMOST like it was part of the frame casting!!!!! WOW!!!! Very cool... I really like this one, you have my address. Just send it on out I'll be sure to get it back after I make sure it runs as good as it looks..NO CHARGE..since we're friends :lol: Very lucky owner, who ever ends up with this one.

Only a very short matter of time before I get John on the phone for a pair of these grips!

Best
Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:31 pm 

Wow, that is some amazing work.......

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:32 am 
Members

I really like this one. Kinda like a 65 Mustang Fastback with today's technology. This pistol could make the TV show OVERHAULIN, I'm a big fan of your more subtle not so over the top builds.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:25 pm 

:D
Hi All,
You done it again Cuz....Why can't I just be like you. Great job.
Jess Christensen
50GI-Pistolsmith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:09 am 

Ned, you have to stop. I was scrolling through the photos while mentally doing an inventory of what was in the safe that I could ship for a similar workover.

That's just evil.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:57 am 

Ned,
I like the way you calculated the Frag cuts in the front strap to run out at the natural contour line. Maintains a clean look and shows your typical attention to detail. Super-clean all around.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 am 
Members

This blaster screams "all business."

I like how many of you LTW Smitty's have really elevated the design to all new heights of "perfection." Moving away from easily mared checkering and the like; and making a more functional piece of work.

I agree that the Wilson Combat Ambi looks like a winner for sure.

Bravo Zulu.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:13 pm 
Members

That is pretty cool. I'd love to hold one and see how it feels. Very different for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:14 am 
Members

Ned

Your Frag pattern has always been my favorite of your styles, I think it looks outstanding/unique
and gives a very secure grip. One of these Frag treatments of yours has been in the works
as a team build for quite some time ... thanks for the inspiration to move forward with that
project! Done with Frag on an arched MSH and on the top of a flatened slide.
:D

Congrats to John for 'getting it right' on those grips to match your heavy metal work!

Outstanding build Ned!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:50 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Thanks, guys.

Ya know, one thing I always wanted to be able to say, but never have had the opportunity to, is "Frag out!". Like any red-blood American boy, I always thought and still think it'd be fun to spend an afternoon with a case of grenades! Preferably near a pond with several junk cars around.

Intercessor, is that a frame I did for somebody a while back and now will be the base for your custom 1911?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:11 am 
Members

Ned

Sent you a PM. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:31 pm 
Members

Ned,

That´s just freaking cool... :mrgreen: as I mentioned before you guys give it 180* twist here, like a lot the new look!!!

Best,
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:01 pm 

Very nice - love the little details.

I have two questions:

- Who's rear sight is that and was it opened up?

- If you had to say 'Frag' was as grippy as X LPI traditional checkering - would it be 30 LPI or 20 LPI?

TIA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:57 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Yost rear, modified but not opened up.

20 or 30? yes :P

I think with a firing grasp on the pistol it may be the equal of 20 LPI but maybe not brand-new, needle-sharp 20 LPI. Reduce the grasp and it kinda lets go.... it's grippiness is very relative to how much of a grasp your are putting on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:12 pm 

Now THAT is cool!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:00 pm 
Members

Way cool buddy... the more I see it the more I like it, need to get in touch with Mr VZ, I would love a set in CF!!! 8)

John???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:54 pm 
Members

i dont care what anyone says, that pattern is bad ass! Great work and keep it up!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:34 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Now this is interesting.

Frag grips must be makin' it....... they've been knocked off already, not once, but twice. One is heinously blatant by an outfit that has a net presence shrouded in secrecy....... the person selling these apparently does not want anyone to know his name or location. I wouldn't either; the site is associated with an offshore company that apparently has some web scam history. The grips are made from a cast urethane and are, well, I don't want to get too snippy here..... they ain't VZ Grips, let's just say that. The sample I have has some casting pits, is very flexible, and the pattern, while obviously a copy, is shallow and kinda choppy. The outer surface is very smooth and the material comes nowhere close to VZ in natural traction. And the guy has the nerve to offer a reward for info on anyone copying his designs! I feel certain these are made in China or elsewhere given the info on the site. Not gonna dignify the shameless imitation by giving any more info.

Kinda disappointing. John VanZyke goes to a lot of trouble and is justifiably proud of his Made in USA quality and materials and original ideas. Don't buy the knockoffs!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:52 am 
Board Member
Board Member

Guess everyone wants to be just like you Ned....sucks that it took less than 4 months. No good idea goes un-stolen.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:45 am 
Board Member
Board Member

By the way, Frags are available in a double diamond pattern...... pictured here on a bit of a beater carry gun but I think they are great-looking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:17 pm 

I would totally buy a set of these. Provided someone would make my front strap and mainspring housing match...

Well I'm just saying. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:07 am 
Board Member
Board Member

OK Hintmeister :wink:

BTW I'm kinda into the 6.5 Grendel too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:58 am 
Members

I have love the Frag treatment every since I saw your first ones a few years ago! It looks like the rows in this 'newer version' are a bit wider? Either way its an outstanding treatment Im sure offers plenty of secure grip. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:06 pm 

absolutely in love with this gun